It's Happening - Page 5 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

It's Happening

TRVMP

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found the article here:

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/10240/robin-mcalpine-why-joining-efta-instead-eu-could-be-answer-scotland

The mainstream Yes campaign should be established on the twin premise of:

- membership of EFTA, with EU membership to be determined at a later date through either a referendum or at the ballot box 

- a separate Scottish currency (if the Wilson Commission identifies this to be plausible), with any adoption of the Euro or other currency to be determined at a later date

It puts to bed the issue faced during the last campaign, in which pledges that Scotland would have a currency union with rUK or would retain EU membership were regularly contradicted by the UK Treasury and whichever Spanish nationalist the Yoons could get in front of a microphone first. Were they bluffing about the reality of a Yes vote? Almost certainly. But they were spectacularly bad interventions for the Yes campaign in terms of political strategy.

If the mainstream Yes campaign sticks to the same position as it had in 2014 then only a massive defection of EU nationals (181,000 strong) to the good guys will prevent the same result from occurring. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Found the article here:

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/10240/robin-mcalpine-why-joining-efta-instead-eu-could-be-answer-scotland

The mainstream Yes campaign should be established on the twin premise of:

- membership of EFTA, with EU membership to be determined at a later date through either a referendum or at the ballot box 

- a separate Scottish currency (if the Wilson Commission identifies this to be plausible), with any adoption of the Euro or other currency to be determined at a later date

It puts to bed the issue faced during the last campaign, in which pledges that Scotland would have a currency union with rUK or would retain EU membership were regularly contradicted by the UK Treasury and whichever Spanish nationalist the Yoons could get in front of a microphone first. Were they bluffing about the reality of a Yes vote? Almost certainly. But they were spectacularly bad interventions for the Yes campaign in terms of political strategy.

If the mainstream Yes campaign sticks to the same position as it had in 2014 then only a massive defection of EU nationals (181,000 strong) to the good guys will prevent the same result from occurring. 

I agree with you.  I voted remain but given that there is a significant proportion of Yes voters who voted leave, it would make sense to offer an alternative to full EU membership as an option for after independence.  In fact it gives us the opportunity to establish what sort of relationship with Europe people in Scotland actually want - the EU referendum was binary and so those who didn't want full EU membership because they regarded that as too much of a political union were attracted to "Leave" whereas had there been a halfway house option many of them might have gone for that instead.  I know full EU membership is SNP policy but I think the decision should maybe be a bit more nuanced than a simple "full EU membership or full exit" choice.  Certainly offering that as a post-indy decision would avoid loss of Yes voters to the No side (although I suspect the number coming the other way will be a bit bigger).

Regarding currency, if we decided to have our own currency the £ would probably drop further.  I think this time round the rUK might need to take a different line on currency to protect their own interests, although strangely the 20% devaluation caused by the Brexit vote seems to be getting reported as a good thing after decades of saying that a strong currency is a good thing, so maybe they would prefer parity with the dollar or euro.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Think some of these outcomes depend on whether Scotland is classed as a successor or continuator state. Not sure what line the SNP is peddling on this.

Not sure either what the SNPs current take is on how a separate currency would be backed or what it's share of the UK debt will be given that dollar etc denominated debt will have gone up considerably post Brexit.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Viking is reading this. Is he foaming at the mouth? He will be raging at the media outlet that published these stories no doubt, and will be questioning their credibility. However, he will conveniently forget that he quoted "Commonspace" :lol:

*insert signature here*

Utter nonsense.  Mind you I'm not surprised at Brian Wilson trying to stir up this sort of shite.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

That's plenty.

Archived