Can You Calculate Sound Pressure From Atmospheric Pressure? - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Can You Calculate Sound Pressure From Atmospheric Pressure?

SramTon

I'm hoping one of the more scientific/engineering-minded types will be able to help with this.

If a car-tyre is being inflated when it suddenly (and violently) bursts at 35psi, is it possible to calculate the likely approximate sound pressure (in dB) created by the burst?

Cheers.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

I'm hoping one of the more scientific/engineering-minded types will be able to help with this.

If a car-tyre is being inflated when it suddenly (and violently) bursts at 35psi, is it possible to calculate the likely approximate sound pressure (in dB) created by the burst?

Cheers.

No.

If a writer of prose knows enough of what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. A writer who omits things because he does not know them only makes hollow places in his writing.

—Ernest Hemingway

Cheers.

In theory you could do very complicated calculations that in essence would analyze the flow of air from the high pressure tyre outwards, but there are a lot of variables and it would need a fairly sophisticated computer programme to deal with it. Easier for something like that to do an experiment and measure the sound pressure with a dB meter at various distances, and maybe construct a graph for future predictions.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

In theory you could do very complicated calculations that in essence would analyze the flow of air from the high pressure tyre outwards,

but there are a lot of variables and it would need a fairly sophisticated computer programme to deal with it.

Easier for something like that to do an experiment and measure the sound pressure with a dB meter at various distances, and maybe construct a graph for future predictions.

naw, it's simple - the bigger the hole, the quicker the pressure drops.

Or so my old mate Boyle claims.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

naw, it's simple - the bigger the hole, the quicker the pressure drops.

Or so my old mate Boyle claims.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

My up to date mate Boyle also assumes a constant temperature ;) .

It is the hole/crack expanding faster than the speed of sound that causes the phenomenal noise. This is in the intersonic range; effectively causing a sonic boom. It will measure about 170 dB.

Your best bet would be to look at the analogy of a balloon. However, as Alibi indicates there are a number of variables. So although interesting I am out!

Kindest Regards

“Man cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozenâ€

My up to date mate Boyle also assumes a constant temperature ;) .

It is the hole/crack expanding faster than the speed of sound that causes the phenomenal noise. This is in the intersonic range; effectively causing a sonic boom. It will measure about 170 dB.

Your best bet would be to look at the analogy of a balloon. However, as Alibi indicates there are a number of variables. So although interesting I am out!

:blink:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

My up to date mate Boyle also assumes a constant temperature

;) .

When I last had a chat with my old mate Boyle (circa 1965) he had the theory that the temperature in Inverclyde is relatively constant from one minute to the next.

Does yer up to date mate disagree ?

Still No Then.

If a writer of prose knows enough of what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. A writer who omits things because he does not know them only makes hollow places in his writing.

—Ernest Hemingway

Sonar operators can work it out, using onboard equipment, they do it regularly.

Wrong. They don't measure cars bursting their tyres.

—Ernest Hemingway

Naw, its an Aye!

Naw it isnae.

—Ernest Hemingway

Cheers.

I reckon it's likely that you could get an approximation.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

I reckon it's likely that you could get an approximation.

Far, far too many variables but approximately maybe but then the question is what would the approximation range be.

My answer would be between "****in hell whit wis that? to Jesus I nearly s*** myself" scale range.

—Ernest Hemingway

Far, far too many variables but approximately maybe but then the question is what would the approximation range be.

My answer would be between "****in hell whit wis that? to Jesus I nearly s*** myself" scale range.

:D

Boom effin' boom in other words.

YER BARD

Archived