Defeat For Humanity - Page 2 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Defeat For Humanity

LinwoodTON

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I live in Belgium and I knew all about it, from TV (BBC Scotland and STV) and various newspaper websites. So if there's anyone who voted SNP and didn't know this was one of their main policies, then they must have been living in mars until voting day. Also I'm sure a very significant percentage of those who voted for other parties did so because of other polices and not their support of gay marriage.

Times are changing Paul, better get used to it or you'll grow into a bitter and angry old man.

I am a happy enough youngish guy, but still entitled to my views. I respect that those views may differ from others, but that doesn't make me any less entitled to have them.

Lests look at how this thread started - LinwoodTon posted a link to a Daily Mail story about a catholic clergyman in Ireland's opinion on their recent referendum. This man is entitled to his views - however since he's a Catholic he must be in the wrong in the eyes of many on here. Its the way things work in the west of Scotland, I get that.

A lot of Catholics and Protestants share the same opinion on this, marriage is the sacred bond between a man and a woman in the eyes of god. They can demand equality all they want, but Gays can join the queue because it is not an equal society, regardless of their marital status.

*insert signature here*

I am a happy enough youngish guy, but still entitled to my views. I respect that those views may differ from others, but that doesn't make me any less entitled to have them.

Lests look at how this thread started - LinwoodTon posted a link to a Daily Mail story about a catholic clergyman in Ireland's opinion on their recent referendum. This man is entitled to his views - however since he's a Catholic he must be in the wrong in the eyes of many on here. Its the way things work in the west of Scotland, I get that.

A lot of Catholics and Protestants share the same opinion on this, marriage is the sacred bond between a man and a woman in the eyes of god. They can demand equality all they want, but Gays can join the queue because it is not an equal society, regardless of their marital status.

:bouncy:  :bouncy:  :bouncy:

They can demand equality all they want, but Gays can join the queue because it is not an equal society, regardless of their marital status.

Legalising gay marriage is correcting just one of many inequalities in society. Still can't understand how something like this that has no direct effect on you whatsoever causes you so much anger though. 

But you're right, there are also many other inequalities in society that still need to be addressed. The shameful inequality of wealth in Scotland and the UK as a whole is a prime example. For me that's something that should provoke far more moral indignation and outrage than same sex couples who love each other tying the knot. 

Legalising gay marriage is correcting just one of many inequalities in society. Still can't understand how something like this that has no direct effect on you whatsoever causes you so much anger though.

Doesn't cause me any anger at all. However, the Irish (for all their faults) at least gave their populous a say in the matter which the Salmond/Sturgeon junta didn't, regardless of how you dress it up.

But you're right, there are also many other inequalities in society that still need to be addressed. The shameful inequality of wealth in Scotland and the UK as a whole is a prime example.

Should that not have been higher up the agenda than weddings for homosexuals?

For me that's something that should provoke far more moral indignation and outrage than same sex people who love each other tying the knot.

Well, this is Scotland. Laws don't change attitudes in places like this, regardless of how many neo-liberal types are trying to do our thinking for us.

*insert signature here*

Well, this is Scotland. Laws don't change attitudes in places like this, regardless of how many McArthur types are trying to do our thinking for us.

I don't have a league table for inequality. One has been righted, which is welcome, but there are many more that still need to be addressed.

On the last point, we obviously have completely different circles of friends and relatives. Pretty much everyone I know (and I still keep in regular contact with many friends and relatives in Scotland) either supported it or didn't give flying fuck about it. You're seriously the only person I've 'met' who's strongly against it. Of course I understand that some people are against it for religious reasons, which is absolutely their right and to be respected, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in any country where government policy was influenced by religious beliefs of any description. 

Doesn't cause me any anger at all. However, the Irish (for all their faults) at least gave their populous a say in the matter which the Salmond/Sturgeon junta didn't, regardless of how you dress it up.

Well, this is Scotland. Laws don't change attitudes in places like this, regardless of how many neo-liberal types are trying to do our thinking for us.

Very true. They should bring back the birch.

I don't have a league table for inequality. One has been righted, which is welcome, but there are many more that still need to be addressed.

Has it been 'righted' though?

On the last point, we obviously have completely different circles of friends and relatives. Pretty much everyone I know (and I still keep in regular contact with many friends and relatives in Scotland) either supported it or didn't give flying fuck about it. You're seriously the only person I've 'met' who's strongly against it.

I'm not for it, but not 'strongly' against it. You probably gathered that I'm not a big fan of the gays, but each to their own. Was civil partnerships not enough for them, after all it afforded them the same legal rights as married couples?

Of course I understand the some people are against it for religious reasons, which is absolutely their right and to be respected, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in any country where government policy was influenced by religious beliefs of any description.

Well, its just as well you are in the arse-end of Flanders then. As Alex Salmond's said on St Andrew's day last year, Scotland is a Christian country.

*insert signature here*

It has been most amusing watching Paul over the years morph into the messageboard Richard Littlejohn. Outlasted a lot of the competition and deserves recognition for his efforts.

Very good.

Next.

*insert signature here*

Archived