Thread About Ex Player - Page 28 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Toto was embarrassingly poor except in one game against Dunfermline where he was inexplicably MotM. Other than that he had one outrageous multiple stepover against Thistle at Firhill. My theory is that he was twin brothers, one of whom was a footballer. The other one was Jonathan Toto and his twin brother played against the Pars in his place because Jonathan was hung over after a night in Word up on the Friday.

Was it Toto who was booed off the park after about 15 minutes or was that Donovan Simmonds?

Toto showed that day what he was all about. The games where he was 'poor' was more to do with the dross around him being off the pace and not up to speed with his ideas. Tall, strong, quick and skilful with an eye for goal - it's been a while since we've seen a striker of that type and, sadly, it may be a while before we see it again.

TRUST THE DUFF

Toto showed that day what he was all about. The games where he was 'poor' was more to do with the dross around him being off the pace and not up to speed with his ideas. Tall, strong, quick and skilful with an eye for goal - it's been a while since we've seen a striker of that type and, sadly, it may be a while before we see it again.

I take it the dross turned into gold on the day he was MOTM! :lol:

I guess you are correct about Toto, but I honestly didn't see the ability - he just looked lost. Your explanation is feasible.

Cowshed Chris has always been fulsome in his praise of Toto. He never misses an opportunity to pay homage.

One of the longest running piss takes on the board -_-

Show Racism the Red Card

I don't know what level he's now at, but I hold my hands up and admit that I thought he was pretty useless for us. Was there any evidence that he was a 'player of undoubted quality'?

WIKI:

Allan Moore stated that he was unlikely to be kept on due to failing to find form in Inverclyde, saying that

"To be honest, I would have to say he's been disappointing".

Just about sums Alan Moore up - missed an opportunity there.

Toto was embarrassingly poor except in one game against Dunfermline where he was inexplicably MotM. Other than that he had one outrageous multiple stepover against Thistle at Firhill. My theory is that he was twin brothers, one of whom was a footballer. The other one was Jonathan Toto and his twin brother played against the Pars in his place because Jonathan was hung over after a night in Word up on the Friday.

Was it Toto who was booed off the park after about 15 minutes or was that Donovan Simmonds?

Think I've said it to you before, but it certainly appears a case of rose tinted glasses as regards Toto's performance that day. He was infinitely better against Dunfermline than in any other game he played, but that only took him up to the standard of adequate in my memory, and certainly not man of the match. IIRC Carlo Monti was outstanding that day, and Jonathan Mitchell, who wrote the Tele's match report listed Marc Smyth as his MOTM here.

And Simmonds was booed after being substituted 72 minutes into the last game of the season relegation 6-pointer against Ayr, not about 15 minutes in.

Edited by Toby

Think I've said it to you before, but it certainly appears a case of rose tinted glasses as regards Toto's performance that day. He was infinitely better against Dunfermline than in any other game he played, but that only took him up to the standard of adequate in my memory, and certainly not man of the match. IIRC Carlo Monti was outstanding that day, and Jonathan Mitchell, who wrote the Tele's match report listed Marc Smyth as his MOTM here.

And Simmonds was booed after being substituted 72 minutes into the last game of the season relegation 6-pointer against Ayr, not about 15 minutes in.

My recollection is that Toto had an excellent game against Dunfermline. No idea who else also had an excellent game that day, but I remember distinctly that we were amazed at the transformation in Toto from the previous week; we were equally amazed when he reverted to the Mark 1 model the next week against Thistle. (there may be other games between these matches that I wasn't at).

Simmonds may have lasted until the 72nd minute but IIRC he was getting lots of loud abuse from a much earlier stage (including from me) because he was clearly making no effort whatsoever - failing to try to close down defenders or make tackles or do anything that actually involved being near the ball. We have had some rubbish players over the years, but at least they generally ran about and tried to play football. Simmonds inexplicably didn't. BTW did he not play prior to the last game? I thought he actually scored a goal against Raith, which suggested he played more than once. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else though I can't think whom.

Interesting that out of the starting line up against Dunfermline, only Tidser is still at the club, although Spoonsy and Obri of the subs are still there too. Also interesting to read in that report that Graham Holmes apparently came on as a sub twice...

Edited by Alibi

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Also interesting to read in that report that Graham Holmes apparently came on as a sub twice...

There's only two Graham Holmes :lol:

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

BTW did he not play prior to the last game? I thought he actually scored a goal against Raith, which suggested he played more than once. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else though I can't think whom.

Simmonds played 14 league games for us, scoring one goal.

I am fairly sure that Simmonds was booed on his debut after about 15 minutes. I note Toby says he was booed off after 72 minutes in a game against Ayr, and that may well be correct, but I can remember a player playing as a trialist or a short term signing or something and being almost a spectator - there was loud booing after a very short time. Does anyone else recall that? I thought it was Simmonds. Toto was disappointing but I don't think it was down to a lack of effort on his part.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Not scored yet in the league (3 starts, 2 subs), but obviously got MOM (his second since signing) and that double (plus he set up the other one) as they knocked out Colchester 3-1 in the FA Cup 1st round.

I am fairly sure that Simmonds was booed on his debut after about 15 minutes. I note Toby says he was booed off after 72 minutes in a game against Ayr, and that may well be correct, but I can remember a player playing as a trialist or a short term signing or something and being almost a spectator - there was loud booing after a very short time. Does anyone else recall that? I thought it was Simmonds. Toto was disappointing but I don't think it was down to a lack of effort on his part.

I don't know if he got booed, but Michael Ross deserved booed... he was ****ing awful! Chelsea my arse! :lol:

Chelsea > Morton trialist > Beith!

Edited by ThornTON