Alex Mcleish - Page 4 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Alex Mcleish

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy on the radio tonight was calling for 'Johnny' Lambie to get it for his motivational techniques. Sounded like a serious call too.

From the possible candidates:

*McAllister - no experience, risky

*Davies - not enough experience, risky

*Burley - unconvinced, possible but would cost

*Burns - don't think he'd want it after last time

*Ferguson - doubt he'd consider it

Leaving us with Aitken, Souness or Levein.

Nobody jumps out at me I'm afraid...

How about Craig Brewster?

TRUST THE DUFF

Nonsense.

Billy Davies done well at Preston & at Derby.

Burley not been doing so well at Southampton.

Foreign manager is also a no no.

all the scottish candidates are s***e

we can kiss SA 2010 goodbye at this rate

depressing and mcleish can get tae feck... money grabbing bas

I know I'm probably falling for idealism over realism but I can't help feeling disappointed in McLeish. I realise he'd miss week in/week out challenges. I also realise that most of us would cut our left arm off to double our wages. However.....

His doubling of wages is slightly different from Joe Average. £500k per year is still feckin good money! So it couldn't be compared to the likes of JM moving on to better wages. At JM's current level he really does have to think more about finances and 'putting meals on tables' over any sense of loyalty.

Also, after so many long, long depressing years in the doldrums, with a team finally giving us something to be proud of, surely a sense of responsibility might have kicked in?

I have absolutely no malice towards a guy that has my greatest respect for doing a brilliant job. No malice, no disrespect-disappointment seems like the best word to use. I'll repeat, I know I may well be guilty of having my head in the clouds as an idealist, but I can't help thinking that if I was in his position I would have considered a bit of self sacrifice for my country.

Anyway, that apart, I still wish him the best of luck.

I know I'm probably falling for idealism over realism but I can't help feeling disappointed in McLeish. I realise he'd miss week in/week out challenges. I also realise that most of us would cut our left arm off to double our wages. However.....

His doubling of wages is slightly different from Joe Average. £500k per year is still feckin good money! So it couldn't be compared to the likes of JM moving on to better wages. At JM's current level he really does have to think more about finances and 'putting meals on tables' over any sense of loyalty.

Also, after so many long, long depressing years in the doldrums, with a team finally giving us something to be proud of, surely a sense of responsibility might have kicked in?

I have absolutely no malice towards a guy that has my greatest respect for doing a brilliant job. No malice, no disrespect-disappointment seems like the best word to use. I'll repeat, I know I may well be guilty of having my head in the clouds as an idealist, but I can't help thinking that if I was in his position I would have considered a bit of self sacrifice for my country.

could'nt have put it better

except for the last bit

hope he fails. sorry. but I really do. and all for the above reasons.

A good outsider, if we still want to go Scottish which in my opinion is looking less and less likely with the candidate we have at our disposal, that I would like to see in the frame is Stevie Clarke, the assistant manager at Chelsea. He's worked under some great managers and surely will have picked up a few things.

Since the appointment of Ten Cate, seen as an old pals act from Avrim Grant, as Chelseas second assistant manager, Clarke has sadly be pushed lower down the pecking order, although he's still seen as an assistant manager he's been giving all the side jobs. I reckon he could be aquired quite cheaply and should be considered, especially after reading some of the other dross thats being touted about.

Regiy Scora For Scotland :D

I can confirm he is starting a new job in a few weeks!

I'd like to see Tommy Burns given the chance, I wanted him to get it lthe ast time.

If not then George Burley but I don't fancy Levein for the job.

I don't think TB would take the Scotland job after what happened the last time, I seem to remember he felt betrayed by the SFA with their handling the last time.

Isn't Hiddinks contract with Russia up in the summer? We would suit him perfectly.

Edit - Apparently Paul Sturrock has also left Plymouth :unsure:

Swindon he left to go to Plymouth.

There is one guy whom I would consider, and would be controversial- Gerard Houllier. The guy has massive expierence and has been involved in a number of seminars in Scottish football in the past- surely him and McAllister would be good team.

WHEREVER IT TAKES US- WHATEVER IT TAKES

Burley, good club manager who is well respected south of the border.......southampton will be there or there abouts come the shake up in may........mcallister....unproven...was coventry his last job.....one name that was banded about in the pub last night was strachan....friction at celtic......possibility in my book

A guy on the radio tonight was calling for 'Johnny' Lambie to get it for his motivational techniques. Sounded like a serious call too.

From the possible candidates:

*McAllister - no experience, risky

*Davies - not enough experience, risky

*Burley - unconvinced, possible but would cost

*Burns - don't think he'd want it after last time

*Ferguson - doubt he'd consider it

Leaving us with Aitken, Souness or Levein.

Nobody jumps out at me I'm afraid...

How about Craig Brewster?

Aitken looks like he'll be going to Birmingham with Eck, and if you're ruling out Davies and McAllister because of their lack of experience then surely that rules out Brewster as well? He hardly set the world alight when he went to a slightly bigger club than Caley...

As for someone mentioning Houillier, that might have been a decent shout if it hadn't been for the Vogts situation...I think the SFA would be very wary of going down that route again anytime soon - least of all because of the success of his two Scottish predecessors...

Get your money on Billy Davies...although edited to add, according to the BBC football rumours page, McLeish has recommended Mark McGhee as his predecessor!! :blink:

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

good post.

not as surprised at him leaving as i was when smith left - he seemed to be the ideal age with all the experience needed for the job (plus i never thought he'd go back to rangers). wish mcleish had held out for a team with top half/european ambitions - the fact that steve bruce left them for wigan says it all about their prospective new owner and the squad he has!

funny how nobody has mentioned gordon strachan? not exactly idolised at parkhead, always said he'd fancy the scotland job? possibly get him at the end of the season (although that obviously aint ideal for the WC qualifiers). think joe jordan would be a good shout but please not souness, calderwood, levein (he will eventually i think in a few years) or mcallister (i just aint a fan of him at all)

I dont like the fact that we now appear to be changing managers every year or so.

A new one will have his own ideas.

Good luck to big Eck, tho I feel he has made a mistake.

I hope to hell the Jim Jeffries supporters club in the media are not listened to. He would make us more boring than wee Broon ever did.

John Collins wont take it.

I think maybe George Burley or an outside bet would be Bruce Rioch.

JB.

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

I'm disappointed that McLeish has left - he was doing a magnificent job.

However, I don't hold his decision against him in the slightest. I think we're kidding ourselves if we honestly believe we wouldn't have done the same thing. He, unlike Smith, finished the campaign with his head held high.

To ask him to remain in a job where gathering of players for matches and so on are so few and far between, when he could realise his ambitions as a manager to manage in one of the world's top leagues and top salary to match, is a little too tartan heid-ed if you get what I mean. He deserves credit for the incredible results he achieved as Scotland boss and for restoring pride in the national team, and for setting us up so well for the future. So, I think he is perfectly right to now try his hand in the English Premier League and enhance his own reputation further. And, like most of us, the big salary is a massive lure. He wants to set his own family up for future years as best he can, and I wish him every success at Birmingham. The guy deserves it.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived