Why Did Morton Spend All That Money On The Wee Dublin End - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Why Did Morton Spend All That Money On The Wee Dublin End

standman

Watching the Morton - Rangers 1980 download got me thinking why Morton bothered to covert the Wee Dublin End to those bench seats, thereby reducing the capacity.

Surely they would have been better spending the money on roofing that end or the Sinclair St end ?

Anyone remember what Morton's thinking was at the time ?

Let's rock !

Guest midTONs

Watching the Morton - Rangers 1980 download got me thinking why Morton bothered to covert the Wee Dublin End to those bench seats, thereby reducing the capacity.

Surely they would have been better spending the money on roofing that end or the Sinclair St end ?

Anyone remember what Morton's thinking was at the time ?

I remember being in the wde before the benches and it was dump, the benches at the time were accepted as seating and were a major improvement on what was already there, I await the pish Rangers paid for it :lol:

Guest midTONs

Not saying that Rangers PAID for it, but, did we not get them from Ibrox when they demolished the Centenary Stand?

lol, get what exactly? the brick :lol: or the coloured sheeting that cover the brick? :lol:

Did we not get floodlights from Ibrox as well?

"Only by understanding what a rebellion accomplishes can we see its limitations. A rebellion disrupts the society, but it does not provide what is necessary to establish a new social order." James and Grace Lee Boggs.

I have very limited memories of standing in the WDE , I was only a wee guy.

I've heard it said by many that when the benches were put in the next phase of re-development would be to cover that area of the ground fairly quickly afterwards ; however , for various reasons it has not come to pass.

The benches looked good when 1st put in when they weree multi-coloured , however , much like a red 1992 Vauxhall Astra the surface has been oxidized making them all white , this happened very quickly.

It's bloody murder to watch the football from there on a bright sunny day with no large crowd present as the glare from the now white seats is virtually unbearable.

Not saying that Rangers PAID for it, but, did we not get them from Ibrox when they demolished the Centenary Stand?

That was my understanding as well (although ,like Midtons was never quite sure of how much of it came from Greyskull. Certainly their old centenary stand had multi coloured bench seating)

Show Racism the Red Card

Guest midTONs

lol, get what exactly? the brick :lol: or the coloured sheeting that cover the brick? :lol:

The benches!

Ok, the benches if that's what you want to call them are made from brick two high with what I think is a plastic like coloured sheeting covering the top, none of the two materials came from Ibrox, nor did Rangers pay for the work to be done, why would they? like what has been stated above the work was funded by the transfers of Bobby Thomson & Neil Orr.

I agree there was loads of rumours at the time that Rangers had paid for the work, even more rumours that Morton had the seats from one of the old stands stored under the main stand, now some people will argue that's the case but if you think about it it's all nonsense.

I remeber the wde before it was altered upgraded

Get to the back and on final whistle run down the bank the trick was to avoid hitting people and not over shoot the path. This was best achieved by grabbing hold of someone and spinning round.

I can remember one match when this 20+ stone lad tried the same and everyone dodged him so he did overshoot and went over the path and was stopped by the proverbial brick wall LOL

Those were the days

was the WDE not bilt by Scot's

The bench's were built and installed by builders Robertsons who were based at Ingleston Street, Greenock until a good few years back when they went bust.

Ok, the benches if that's what you want to call them are made from brick two high with what I think is a plastic like coloured sheeting covering the top, none of the two materials came from Ibrox, nor did Rangers pay for the work to be done, why would they? like what has been stated above the work was funded by the transfers of Bobby Thomson & Neil Orr.

I agree there was loads of rumours at the time that Rangers had paid for the work, even more rumours that Morton had the seats from one of the old stands stored under the main stand, now some people will argue that's the case but if you think about it it's all nonsense.

Fair enough, it was always my understanding that the benches (wooden parts) had been recycled from Ibrox. Not that it would bother me one way or the other. It was something I heard at the time and this seemed to explain why the seating was put in before a lid was put up. (ie, they had became available).

I don't think anyone knows what Morton were thinking of when they put the benches at Wee Dublin End without a roof.

Allan McGraw once told me it was an Irish joke.

It is true about the transfers of Thomson and Orr helping to pay for it, though.

A total waste of money but not the only poor decision the board under Hugh Currie and Hal Stewart made at the time...

Various bits from people about what Rangers paid for. I thought that the only thing we had bought from them was the old multi colour seats they originally put in when doing up Ibrox which were then ripped out when they went all blue.

I'm probably totally wrong

Incidentaly - perhaps someone (Alibi?) can let us know the fesability of roofing the dublin end? And ideally putting a pie stall toilets up the back (similar to St Midden stand).

Would the existing structure be suitable or would it be easier / cost effective to flatten the thing and start again?

Just out of curiosity as all things going to plan it will be something we will have to look into over the next few seasons.

My old man installed the benching in the WDE, so I asked him where the material came from for building the benches and he said ' it could have came from multiple sources as Morton at the time bummed stuff off of anyone, mainly the shipyards'

My old man installed the benching in the WDE, so I asked him where the material came from for building the benches and he said ' it could have came from multiple sources as Morton at the time bummed stuff off of anyone, mainly the shipyards'

Sean,your old man is correct,I remember an old joiner I worked with told me that it was him and a few others who fitted out the corridors under the main stand with the finest wood which was destined for a major shipbuild in scotts in the late 60's/70's as well as all the plumbing and painting etc which was needing done,supposedly hal used to call his contacts in the yards and get some boys sent over do the maintainence and the yard picked up the bill as well as supplying materials and labour,the floodlights we have just now did come from the govan stand at Ibrox but I can remember the benches being sparkling new when fitted so I doubt they were sat on by thousands of rangers fans before we got them?..

The money from the Bobby Thomson & Neil Orr transfers paid for it.

With the change possibly used to compensate for the revenue lost to the "Benny Rooney turnstyle".

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived