What Are You Listening To At The Moment? - Page 238 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What Are You Listening To At The Moment?

amy

The Smiths - Barbarism Begins At Home

Meat is Murder is a great album; their second best, after The Queen is Dead.

riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Meat is Murder is a great album; their second best, after The Queen is Dead.

It's actually probably my least favourite of the 4 albums, although I still absolutely love it. Morrissey and Marr's favourite is Strangeways.

Edited by Deego

It's actually probably my least favourite of the 4 albums, although I still absolutely love it. Morrissey and Marr's favourite is Strangeways.

Yeah, always found that strange, Strangeways is my least favourite Smiths album, still very good though. Just feel it kind of falls away at the end.

Meat is Murder probably has the least amount of "classic" Smiths songs on it, compared with their other three albums, but it's probably their most consistent.

riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Yeah, always found that strange, Strangeways is my least favourite Smiths album, still very good though. Just feel it kind of falls away at the end.

Meat is Murder probably has the least amount of "classic" Smiths songs on it, compared with their other three albums, but it's probably their most consistent.

A lot of people say that about Strangeways. I actually think Morrissey and Marr might just say that because it was their last album, like how Morrissey has a habit of coming out every time a new solo album is released saying it's his strongest yet.

I've sat and tried to think of what's actually my favourite album and why the others aren't as good etc. but it's f***ing impossible - they're all magic! :)

I f***ing love The Smiths! :wub: :wub:

A lot of people say that about Strangeways. I actually think Morrissey and Marr might just say that because it was their last album, like how Morrissey has a habit of coming out every time a new solo album is released saying it's his strongest yet.

I've sat and tried to think of what's actually my favourite album and why the others aren't as good etc. but it's f***ing impossible - they're all magic! :)

I f***ing love The Smiths! :wub: :wub:

Haha I've noticed you love them.

I think Queen is Dead has the best balance between consistency and having my favourite Smiths songs on it. Cemetry Gates, Bigmouth, Boy with the Thorn etc. And even Never had.. and Some Girls... which I would never listen to on their own work in the context of the album.

Haha I've noticed you love them.

I think Queen is Dead has the best balance between consistency and having my favourite Smiths songs on it. Cemetry Gates, Bigmouth, Boy with the Thorn etc. And even Never had.. and Some Girls... which I would never listen to on their own work in the context of the album.

Plus it has There Is A Light That Never Goes Out! And I Know It's Over. And Frankly Mr. Shankly. And... :wub:

Plus it has There Is A Light That Never Goes Out! And I Know It's Over. And Frankly Mr. Shankly. And... :wub:

Yeah, a lot of classics for only ten tracks, and what, 38 minutes or something?

The other thing I love about the Smiths - besides their fantastic album output - is like a lot of great British bands, some of their best stuff was casually shoved out as non-album singles or even B sides.

Yeah, a lot of classics for only ten tracks, and what, 38 minutes or something?

The other thing I love about the Smiths - besides their fantastic album output - is like a lot of great British bands, some of their best stuff was casually shoved out as non-album singles or even B sides.

Aye, remember 'How Soon Is Now?' was originally a b-side to 'William, It Was Really Nothing'.

Aye, remember 'How Soon Is Now?' was originally a b-side to 'William, It Was Really Nothing'.

Absolutely. A lot of good British bands had/have a similar approach. The Beatles, The Kinks, Belle and Sebastian, the Roses, even Oasis, releasing a lot of their best stuff as non-album material.

The Smiths - Rubber Ring

Love the lyrics on this song.

Great song Ryan, as many Smiths b-sides were (12" version of The Boy With The Thorn....) I've always felt that the reason that there were (are) so many Smiths compilation albums is because, the quality of the b-sides were so good that they deserved more recognition. Back then ( christ I'm old ) there was nothing like "youtube" where you could just type in the name of a band and have access to a huge back catalogue, you actually had to go out and buy records, take them home and savour them.

I am very fortunate to have been there at the start and to have all the original albums and almost all the singles in vinyl form.

"But don't forget the songs

That made you cry

And the ones that saved your life"

The last line there, having obviously spawned the book of the same name.

Favourite album is always going to be "The Smiths", I take a wee fancy to each of the albums from time to time, including the compilations, but am constantly drawn back to this one.

It's really a nostalgia thing for me, spent an overnight coach trip down to London in '84 with my girlfriend ( not Mrs. centralTON) and listened to it the whole way down on my new "Sony Walkman" which, btw was feckin enormous. :lol:

Edited by centralTON