Bobby Thomson - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Bobby Thomson

Alibi

You can (or could) get a DVD including the Thomson goal against Celtic on the Tontastic website. I have a copy.

Not that long ago, a Ton supporter I happened to meet at a conference challenged me to describe the goal. It was an evening networking session and we were networked as newts, I used a combination of bottles and glasses to demo9nstrate the training ground set piece involving Ritchie, McNeil and Thomson.

Interesting fact - it was the third time they tried that move. In previous games, it went belly up. First time, Ritchie overhit the pass, second time he hit McNeil's heel with it. I was behind the goal thinking please God don't let them try it again.

They're all jealous because I conquered my paranoia

Can't recall any specific Thomson songs. I remember many other fine goals, usually late runs into the box from midfield. One against Killie sticks in my mind (also 1979). Went past (or through) three defenders and placed a side-footer neatly past McCulloch. Happy days.

The sending off for the Jardine incident was a disgraceful piece of cheating but, to be fair, his hack at Jardine's ankles that led to the confrontation probably would have got a red card these days. Scary big animal on the field but by all accounts a nice guy off it.

They're all jealous because I conquered my paranoia

Was that goal against Celtic the one where Ritchie played a free kick to the byeline to the left of the goal at the Sinclair Street end and Peanut squared it for Bobby to bundle it in at the near post?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Was that goal against Celtic the one where Ritchie played a free kick to the byeline to the left of the goal at the Sinclair Street end and Peanut squared it for Bobby to bundle it in at the near post?

eat drink and be merry for tommorrow you may be radioiactive

That very goal what a way to celebrate your 16th birthday

Bobby Thomson was only 16?  Impressive strength for an under 17 player...   :)

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Aside from being in love with Andy Ritchie I had a man crush on BT :blush: . A proper footballing hardman who maybe never progressed as far as he could due to the red mist descending. Easy to forget he was also a fine footballer with a cultured left peg.

As for Jardine he is an odious cheating bawbag.

Aside from being in love with Andy Ritchie I had a man crush on BT :blush: . A proper footballing hardman who maybe never progressed as far as he could due to the red mist descending. Easy to forget he was also a fine footballer with a cultured left peg.

As for Jardine he is an odious cheating bawbag.

I'm sure I could sort a date out with the big fella if you really are "in love" with him :)

Doug Rouvie kicked Roy Baines when he was on the ground holding the ball, big Bobby ran in and booted Rougvie in the back - actually it was a disgraceful reaction - anyway Bobby was ordered off immediately - about 5 minutes later Rougvie returned to the game after treatment at the wee Dublin end and on coming back on he was then ordered off for his involvement

Archived