Ton V Airdire - Page 12 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ton V Airdire

Mr.Blue

Out of interest, was McGuffie extremely bad today?

Quotes from BBC Website -

Morton midfielder Ryan McGuffie suffered a nightmare 90 minutes

McGuffie put through his own goal on 34 minutes, diverting Richard Waddell's shot into the roof of the net

Paul Lovering scored from the spot after 56 and 66 minutes, both coming after reckless McGuffie tackles.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have never felt so frustrated about a morton performance like that for years. no fight at all it was just embarassing, we should be beating airdrie even with 10 men

felt sorry for witteveen today, looked as if he was causing airdries defence some problems

MON EH TON!

Alex Walker is completely unable to keep himself fit, in my estimation.

Nonsense. Walker is about as reliable a player as we have, and if he doesn't stay fit then it's becase some clown of a gaffer knows nothing about fitness.

We lost today not because of effort, we lost because we have a pair of chancers in the dug-out. The only people who seem to lack effort is the pair of idiots who claim to be managers, and the joker up front who seems to think that losing the ball every time is a better tactic than closing down.

I suppose we also lost because Kevin Cuthbert never bothered to try to be a goal-keeper, as usual.

AWMSC

Ok I will post this here as I can't see a post match thread. Have been reading over this thread and the posts that were made during the game and to be honest, there isn't much complaining that can be made other than about the referee. What a unbelievable display from the most inconsistent and biased ref I have seen in my time following Morton. This guy made preformances from Ian Fyfe, Crawford Allan and Craig Thomson look good! The only thing he didn't do was lift up his shirt at the end of the game to show his Airdrie colours, and the shout from one of our fans of (towards the AUFC fans) "I hope you kept the receipt for the c**t" near the end of the game couldn't have been more appropriate.

OK Cuthbert can be blamed for the first penalty as MacGregor looked to be in control on the ball and kevin came rushing to the edge of the box to go for the ball and putting David off, which let the Airdrie guy in. He then pulled him back but in no way was in a red card as McGuffie was getting back and was nearly on the line. Great save from Stewart from the resultant penalty and he could do nothing about their goal, a shot from Airdrie's right which deflected off McGuffie and went flying over his head into the far corner.

More inconsistancy followed when Simmonds was blantantly fouled inside the box, with the Airdrie guy having both arms on his shoulders, not allowing him to jump. Funnily enough, he gave us a free kick in the second half when Simmonds was again fouled in the exact same manner.

The penalties that Airdrie scored from were also very soft, their second pen was hard to tell what happened as it was down at other end but it looked like we put in two similar challenges and the guy "fell over" at the second one. Third pen it actually looked like McKinlay won the ball with an outstretched leg and the guy fell over it. A bit ironic that their three penalties were won by their no. 10 who was given MOTM by Nazi fans.

Final straw was when we had a stone wall penalty shout turned down. Simmonds made a run down the right and went into the box where his legs were taken from under him, and no contact with the ball was made by the defender. I am sure there are many other incidents that can be mentioned, but those are the main ones that I can remember!

Anyway, enough about the ref - I am starting to sound like a paranoid Celtic fan ( :ph34r: ). I think Grady made a mistake by taking Wetteveen off after only 10 minutes. Didn't really give the guy a chance to show what he could do and he maybe could have taken Finlayson off and went 3-4-2 with McGuffie pushing forward into midfield. A 4-4-1 with Simmonds playing up front himself didn't really work, although he tried his best. Airdrie bossed the game once they went 3-0 up, playing a simple passing game and we really struggled to get the ball off them at times.

Tuesday night could be a disaster now, thank God for Raith Rovers and their late equaliser!!!

Good solid post and I agree with most of it. The referee was criminal (cannot be understated) and Cuthbert was very stupid.

That said, I disagree with the part in bold. I am not convinced that Simmonds tried his best: he has plenty pace, but while every other player was busting a gut yesterday, he continued to saunter about up front, caught flat-footed numerous times with an injured Weatherson coming on and actually getting himself about the way that Simmonds should have been.

Perhaps I am doing Simmonds a disservice by suggesting he did not give his all yesterday, but he lacked passion, fire in his belly, heart and conviction throughout the 90 minutes. Whether it is due to lack of ability, lack of confidence or lack of effort, I would rather have Brian Graham start against Ayr.

From what I saw of Wittenveen he looked strong and looked to take the ball from the defence or midfield when possible. However, he was only on the park for 15 minutes, so judgement will have to be reserved.

Out of interest, was McGuffie extremely bad today?

Quotes from BBC Website -

Morton midfielder Ryan McGuffie suffered a nightmare 90 minutes

McGuffie put through his own goal on 34 minutes, diverting Richard Waddell's shot into the roof of the net

Paul Lovering scored from the spot after 56 and 66 minutes, both coming after reckless McGuffie tackles.

Yes, McGuffie was embarrassing, and not for the first time.

I thought McGuffie did fine today, typical BBC reporting (ie, no-one is there to see that the own goal was actually a deflection; no-one is there to see that the 2 second half penalties were non-events and I thought it was McKinlay who"gave away" the third penalty).

McGuffie and McKinlay both showed a willingness get forward and overlap even though we were down to 10 men.

I know we lost badly yesterday, but we lost through a stupid goalkeeper and an unfathomably bad referee; not through lack of effort from the players.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

I wasn't there but I would say Simmonds is unlikely to have been a success judging by what I have seen of him in 2 games.

I think the decision to appoint Grady and McManus has been shown to be a poor one. Nothing against them, but they have no experience whatsoever. It's like me being offered a job as a chef at a Michelin starred restaurant to replace Gordon Ramsay. I could do the swearing but the food would be slightly disappointing. In time Grady and McManus may learn and become good managers, but we don't have time. DDR must realise it was a mistake - we'd probably have been safe by now if Irons had still been in charge, even if the football was just as boring.

We need to grind out results from now on, and that means everyone giving 100% every game. I hope this Wittenveen is good, because Peter with Simmonds doesn't look like a combination to save us, so we need to have Peter and Wittenveen or A.N. Other.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I wasn't there but I would say Simmonds is unlikely to have been a success judging by what I have seen of him in 2 games.

I think the decision to appoint Grady and McManus has been shown to be a poor one. Nothing against them, but they have no experience whatsoever. It's like me being offered a job as a chef at a Michelin starred restaurant to replace Gordon Ramsay. I could do the swearing but the food would be slightly disappointing. In time Grady and McManus may learn and become good managers, but we don't have time. DDR must realise it was a mistake - we'd probably have been safe by now if Irons had still been in charge, even if the football was just as boring.

We need to grind out results from now on, and that means everyone giving 100% every game. I hope this Wittenveen is good, because Peter with Simmonds doesn't look like a combination to save us, so we need to have Peter and Wittenveen or A.N. Other.

I agree with this. I just feel like the players performances have done them absolutely no favours at all though. We have a squad with SPL experience and vast first division experience. Players that should be experienced enough to know what is required to grind out victories just haven't produced it. Maybe the fact Grady and Rae have said that there will be a mass clearout in the summer hasn't helped proceedings, but the players have been woeful this year. It is so bad that I think all POTY awards should not be awarded as there is no individual who deserves it. To a man they have been woeful.

I agree with this. I just feel like the players performances have done them absolutely no favours at all though. We have a squad with SPL experience and vast first division experience. Players that should be experienced enough to know what is required to grind out victories just haven't produced it. Maybe the fact Grady and Rae have said that there will be a mass clearout in the summer hasn't helped proceedings, but the players have been woeful this year. It is so bad that I think all POTY awards should not be awarded as there is no individual who deserves it. To a man they have been woeful.

If I could, I'd vote for Mark Farrell. He's been the only outstanding performer on that pitch all season.

He's probably there right now - out, standing on the pitch....... ^_^

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

Don't quite agree - think that Colin Stewart genuinely deserves Player of the Year - made some pretty crucial saves throughout the season, and seems to calm the defence down far more than Cuthbert

Archived