Raith Rovers And Ross County - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Raith Rovers And Ross County

El gofer

:blink: That'll be aside from the circa £450K put in to the youth programme by the Chairman over the last 9 years? Yet another ill-informed poster who pretends to know more than they do. :angry:

Can you provide a breakdown of what that £450k was wasted spent on? I would dearly love to see the details of that.

By the way if you are correct that amounts to £50k a year, can you buy Templemans 2 legs for £50k.

By DDF's own admission he is of the impression that youth systems are a waste of money, why then did he throw this money at it? And why do we not have, and not had for a while, a structured youth system if all this money has been lavished upon it?

Makes no sense at all to me.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know about SmithsTON, but isn't Mabawsa Ritchie Tony Cowden?

Correct

Just keep paying your £50 qiuds for sportsman dinners for the youth setup were 1 of the teams plays in the p&d

league, and the man in question and his crew charge the youth setup for attending meetings......

and by the way ask the parents over last 5 years how there boys got to away matches???

oh am blind now i can see

On top of the £12 a month that they were asked to pay to be trained by Morton :unsure: ?

And the Morton employee of the month crawls back under his rock.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

By DDF's own admission he is of the impression that youth systems are a waste of money, why then did he throw this money at it?

Maybe, just maybe, because he did what some on here are always on at him to do - ie, he took advice and acted on it? Just a thought........ ;)

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

Maybe, just maybe, because he did what some on here are always on at him to do - ie, he took advice and acted on it? Just a thought........ ;)

Do you see any evidence of this? I don't.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

nope, but then why would I? How would a "supporter" be privy to that info, and why should he expect to be?

Bit of a silly question you asked, really, wasn't it? :P

And funny how you seem quite willing to accept as "fact" an assertion that he "wasted" £450K on youth development. Selective judgements based on what suits your opinions and what doesn't?

Seems to me that, whatever Rae does, unless it works out 100% successfully then to you and some others he's always gonna be damned if he does and damned if he don't.

Still, I don't suppose he gives a monkey's what you think. But feel free to bluster away on here anyway, fill yer boots! :lol:

Didn't he say somewhere that he was persuaded of the inefficiency of youth systems by Warren Hawke? I'm not sure that this amounted to seeking and acting on advice, but it is a start!

nope, but then why would I? How would a "supporter" be privy to that info, and why should he expect to be?

Bit of a silly question you asked, really, wasn't it? :P

And funny how you seem quite willing to accept as "fact" an assertion that he "wasted" £450K on youth development. Selective judgements based on what suits your opinions and what doesn't?

Seems to me that, whatever Rae does, unless it works out 100% successfully then to you and some others he's always gonna be damned if he does and damned if he don't.

Still, I don't suppose he gives a monkey's what you think. But feel free to bluster away on here anyway, fill yer boots! :lol:

I have accepted no fact, only an opinion that if he did indeed spend £450 k on youth development he must have wasted it as there is nothing to show for it.

Seems to me that whatever Rae does, whether its 100% successful or not to you and some others there is no fault or blame attached. Can do no wrong in some folks eyes. Lets all kiss his sandles.

He doesn't care what I think, what you think or what anyone else thinks for that matter. One of THE major failings in his tenure.

Didn't he say somewhere that he was persuaded of the inefficiency of youth systems by Warren Hawke? I'm not sure that this amounted to seeking and acting on advice, but it is a start!

Can I take the opportunity to provide the following.

"Morton's expenditure in transfers has been "peanuts."Rooney makes no apologies when he admits - "I suppose you could reckon it cost something around £30,000 - for the whole team"....

"....Morton are home made...and proud of it. Players like Davie Hayes, Jim Holmes, Joe McLaughlin, Jim Tolmie, John McNeil and Neil Orr are all products of the clubs youth policy" (not sure about Holmes though).

Rooney is refreshingly frank - "Obviously economics are a vital factor in team building by a provincial club. Many can only buy if they sell. We have tried to play fair with our fans and keep out top players at Cappielow".

"It may mean a slower development rate but our supporters have shown tremendous patience. And personally there is great satisfaction in seeing players you have discovered and worked on making it".

Thats from 1981 and could ring true today. Repeat that in the late 80's & 90's under McGraw.

DDF has proven he knows hee haw about football other than following his team, much like the majority of us fans. From top to bottom in Scotland experienced football folk will tell you a youth structure is essential for any community club to develop.

Edited to chnage it to 81.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Watching Sportscene, I know its only highlights but what a performance by both teams.

Michael Gardyne is what we are missing just now.

Gregory Tade was dismissed on this board as being sub standard and not good enough.... looked good to me.

David McGurn: Rae didnt want a part timer.........ahem.

Both clubs are very well run it would appear. Raith wipe out their debt by making the semis and County are the archetypal community club....... youth set up anyone. Both managed by guys who have prior experience of managing and coaching. They also pick up players with promise or a point to prove or from the local area.

They do the things that we dont do. Instead of a wing and a prayer it is all thought out.

Also the style of play..... ross county play a veyr attractive passing style with pace. Raith are well organised. Their set pieces were impressive in that they had a plan unlike ourselves.

THey nurture young players. I dont just mean bringing them through their ranks but taking boys at 18 or 19 from elsewhere and making them into players......such as Don Cowie, John Rankin and now barrowman, Gardyne, Steven Watt, Scott Boyd. How many rejects are in that Raith team? Simmonds, Weir, Ellis, McGurn, Murray.

Our signing policy, recruitment of players and managers and general vision as a club are what separates us from perennial dogfights and pushing towards the top.

Ross County have not done this overnight. It has taken about 3 or 4 years.

We have no vision for the future apart from a second hand stand and budgeting for crowds of 4000 while contributing nothing to the community in the form of an effective youth set up. And dont give me that it does not serve a purpose for a club like ours......look at the midden, hamilton, ross county, st johnstone, falkirk, motherwell. Their youth set up not working either??

We really need a fresh approach. TO start with Mr Rae must realise that he needs to accept advice when making decisions with regards the football side of things.

mmmm who cares about Raith or Ross Co. Shouldn't this topic be going in the same bin as mine from yesterday?

Thats from 1981 and could ring true today. Repeat that in the late 80's & 90's under McGraw.

DDF has proven he knows hee haw about football other than following his team, much like the majority of us fans. From top to bottom in Scotland experienced football folk will tell you a youth structure is essential for any community club to develop.

Edited to chnage it to 81.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the chairman ought to be neglecting youth development, just that he has been pretty public giving his reasons for doing so, including the advice from Hawke about the proportion of youth players who eventually make the grade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the chairman ought to be neglecting youth development, just that he has been pretty public giving his reasons for doing so, including the advice from Hawke about the proportion of youth players who eventually make the grade.

There is no doubt setting up a youth system is taking a chance but one I think should be taken....my main worry is that Morton are basically cut off from promising youths altogether.

It has been well documented that both St Mirren and Aberdeen have good scouting systems in this area (among others), when Morton got Quarriers there was a quote that it would allow Morton to compete for the best of youths from Glasgow and Paisley areas, it hasn't happened because there are not enough scouts working on Mortons behalf and we do not have a sufficient structure to support and nurture talent.

I cannot answer for him but I reckon Hawke is talking about a bells and whistles youth system, modern training facilities etc which Morton simply cannot afford. We could however be ten times more active in this area at the very least in spotting the talent out there.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Seems to me that whatever Rae does, whether its 100% successful or not to you and some others there is no fault or blame attached. Can do no wrong in some folks eyes. Lets all kiss his sandles.

Seems to ME that that's a load o' bollocks, certainly as far as I'm concerned. I'll judge whatever Rae does on the basis of each issue looked at for its own merits or its own faults. What gets on my nips tho are the wee apprentice mentaljags who stand on the sidelines, arms a-folded and heads a-shaking, looking at almost everything the club does and saying "tsk, wouldn't catch ME doing it that way......." and so on. Armchair "experts" who never lift a finger to do something positive but are always there to criticise, and who selectively pick at the available facts or fiction to support their own preconceived opinions.

Seems to ME that that's a load o' bollocks, certainly as far as I'm concerned. I'll judge whatever Rae does on the basis of each issue looked at for its own merits or its own faults. What gets on my nips tho are the wee apprentice mentaljags who stand on the sidelines, arms a-folded and heads a-shaking, looking at almost everything the club does and saying "tsk, wouldn't catch ME doing it that way......." and so on. Armchair "experts" who never lift a finger to do something positive but are always there to criticise, and who selectively pick at the available facts or fiction to support their own preconceived opinions.

I think you will find I have given Rae plenty of praise when it has been due.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

I think you will find I have given Rae plenty of praise when it has been due.

musta missed that, I've only been on here for four years....... ^_^

Maybe you have, I don't know. But you're not slow to have a pop, are you, and sometimes I reckon it's not been justified.

musta missed that, I've only been on here for four years....... ^_^

Maybe you have, I don't know. But you're not slow to have a pop, are you, and sometimes I reckon it's not been justified.

No I am not slow, just as I give credit where it is due.

Thats is your opinion if it is justified or not. I will continue along my merry way and you can justify away.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

well gee, thanx for your permission to do that. Makes SUCH a difference! -_-

Don't mention it. :)

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

There is no doubt setting up a youth system is taking a chance but one I think should be taken....my main worry is that Morton are basically cut off from promising youths altogether.

It has been well documented that both St Mirren and Aberdeen have good scouting systems in this area (among others), when Morton got Quarriers there was a quote that it would allow Morton to compete for the best of youths from Glasgow and Paisley areas, it hasn't happened because there are not enough scouts working on Mortons behalf and we do not have a sufficient structure to support and nurture talent.

I cannot answer for him but I reckon Hawke is talking about a bells and whistles youth system, modern training facilities etc which Morton simply cannot afford. We could however be ten times more active in this area at the very least in spotting the talent out there.

Spot on as usual. There's obviously a reason Aberdeen are so active down here - they keep spotting and signing talented kids! Isn't the boy Paton (or is it Maguire?) who played for them last night from Greenock?

Hawke may indeed have a point about the inefficiency of a youth system, certainly plenty of boys will pass through it without ever getting anywhere near the first team. But I've got two words for any detractors of youth systems for clubs our size: Hamilton Academical.

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

• 2 weeks later...

Archived