Argies Going Out? - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Argies Going Out?

Paraguay have just gone 1-0 up against Argentina, the Argies are currently sitting in the play-off spot (5th), but there last game is against Uruguay who are within touching distance of them so will be going all out to win.

Possibly the first WC in my life time without Argentina!

Paraguay have just gone 1-0 up against Argentina, the Argies are currently sitting in the play-off spot (5th), but there last game is against Uruguay who are within touching distance of them so will be going all out to win.

Possibly the first WC in my life time without Argentina!

yeah um watching it not a bad game. but you just have a feeling they will score in the last 2 min :lol: :lol: both with the hand of god :blush:

just still sore all this talk about world cup and play offs and we aint going to be there :( :( :(

1000 posts before we win the champions league........

Oh dear God, Argentina were awful. The team that big Dawn French had picked was ridiculous, calling up some 36 year old defender who plays in his homeland when Ayala is still playing in La Liga, and bringing him on with ten minutes to go when they desperately needed a goal... then he missed a chance that a striker would probably have taken in the last minute!

That's not mentioning recalling Martin Palermo after a nine year absence which even he was confused about!

They will have the safety of a playoff against the 4th placed Concacaf team so would expect to see the Argies at South Africa.

knowing argentina lost, i was very nervous wathcing the usa game yesterday. :blush: looks like it's costa rica which will most likely have to face argentina. -_-

knowing argentina lost, i was very nervous wathcing the usa game yesterday. :blush: looks like it's costa rica which will most likely have to face argentina. -_-

Costa Rica have an easier last two games than Honduras, both have the USA, but Costa Rica play the bottom team T&T in their other game while Honduras have the better El Salvador.

Costa Rica have an easier last two games than Honduras, both have the USA, but Costa Rica play the bottom team T&T in their other game while Honduras have the better El Salvador.

it does sort of look like that, however honduras aren't a bad team, and i think capable of getting a result in el salvador. they also have a good chance against the us than costa rica do, since it will be a home game for them. costa rica were looking like the usa's biggest competition for top spot not too long ago, however they've cooled off a lot since.

• 1 month later...
Argentina hit the winner against Peru in the 93rd minute.

:o

I watched it on Sky Sports - crazy stuff.

Argentina struggled against a poor Peru side but the pressure seemed off when Gonzalo Higuain opened the scoring on his debut a minute after half time. However, Maradona had other ideas and subbed Higuain off leaving Martin Palermo up front himself.Thereby throwing his team into disarray as they tried to contain Peru rather than trying to extend their lead.

Argentina were then very nervous and it didn't help that the game descended into farce due to monsoon conditions. Peru equalised in the 90th minute after some shocking defending. The camera focused on Maradona who was crestfallen.

Three minutes later, and with seconds to go, 35 year old Palermo (back after 10 years out of the international scene) taps in at the back post to win it. Cue absolute bedlam as the stadium goes crazy and Maradona does a Klinsmann across the soaking grass at the side of the pitch.

edit to add: And even then they weren't finished as Peru took a shot from the half way line straight from centre and hit the bar.

Absolutely amazing ending.

Argentina struggled against a poor Peru side but the pressure seemed off when Gonzalo Higuain opened the scoring on his debut a minute after half time. However, Maradona had other ideas and subbed Higuain off leaving Martin Palermo up front himself.Thereby throwing his team into disarray as they tried to contain Peru rather than trying to extend their lead.

Argentina were then very nervous and it didn't help that the game descended into farce due to monsoon conditions. Peru equalised in the 90th minute after some shocking defending. The camera focused on Maradona who was crestfallen.

Three minutes later, and with seconds to go, 35 year old Palermo (back after 10 years out of the international scene) taps in at the back post to win it. Cue absolute bedlam as the stadium goes crazy and Maradona does a Klinsmann across the soaking grass at the side of the pitch.

gutted I missed this

thanks for the report though :)

us is officially in. :)

had a feeling there would be some ridiculous drama involving argentina. :rolleyes:

Feck me, you'd think they'd just won the WC the way they're celebrating there. :lol: :lol:

Edit to add - i went to bed at HT last night cos i was falling asleep watching this, gutted now that i missed that ending.

The future just ain't what it used to be

Looked a cracking game, and I'm glad Argentina look like getting there now, although if I supported them I'd be seriously concerned about their chances with Maradona in charge. Once the euphoria of qualification dies down (I know they aren't there yet) someone will have to look at the bigger picture and get shot of him, as by all accounts he doesn't seem to have clue. I suppose moments like that are what you watch football for though.

Another interesting point of note- I absolutely love South American football stadia. The Monumental looks exactly as it did in the 1978 World Cup, minus the tickertape.

edit to add: And even then they weren't finished as Peru took a shot from the half way line straight from centre and hit the bar.

need to get a look at this, sounds like it was quite a game

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

His reaction, of embarrassment and puts his hands in his pockets, then skulks away and hopes no-one sees it, afterwards was hilarious!

:lol: :lol:

Looked a cracking game, and I'm glad Argentina look like getting there now, although if I supported them I'd be seriously concerned about their chances with Maradona in charge. Once the euphoria of qualification dies down (I know they aren't there yet) someone will have to look at the bigger picture and get shot of him, as by all accounts he doesn't seem to have clue. I suppose moments like that are what you watch football for though.

Another interesting point of note- I absolutely love South American football stadia. The Monumental looks exactly as it did in the 1978 World Cup, minus the tickertape.

Yeah, they've got a long way to go.

They are away to a decent Uruguay side on Wednesday which is a hotly contested Rio Plata derby - one that predates, and possibly has more hatred than, the 'derby' matches with Brazil. Should Uruguay win they would leapfrog Argentina into 4th place.

At the same time Ecuador are at home to Chile and although Chile are going great under Marcelo Bielsa, they've already qualified and Ecuador are always liable to get a win at altitude in Quito.

If Uruguay and Ecuador both win Argentina fail to qualify, even for the play-offs. I really think they need to get at least a draw in Montevideo.

I'd advise anyone who is interested to watch the Uruguay v Argentina match on Wednesday. It's on Sky Sports 1 at 11pm on Wednesday and has all the makings of a classic.

Archived