For Villa Fans - Page 8 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

For Villa Fans

Guest GibbyTON

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Feck, a deflected goal 2-1....

I had 2-1 on the prediction list in work, mon the deflected goal!

Thought Harewood was going to jinx it after his performance in the 4-4 game last year, then he goes and misses a sitter :rolleyes: Was sure Spurs would go on and pinch an equaliser.

Great result and by the sounds of it a great performance!

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Watched it from about 20 minutes onwards. Good performance by Villa. Gareth Barry was a class act as usual, Curtis Davies was colossal at the back and Young's and Agbonlahor's pace looked a big threat on the counter.

The only concern I have is the failure to kill the game. Agbonlahor is very raw and lacks vision. He was through and had the chance to play Young in but took forever and wasted the chance. Harewood missed a sitter. These could have been very costly if Spurs nicked an equaliser.

Spurs are a shambles. :lol:

Watched it from about 20 minutes onwards. Good performance by Villa. Gareth Barry was a class act as usual, Curtis Davies was colossal at the back and Young's and Agbonlahor's pace looked a big threat on the counter.

The only concern I have is the failure to kill the game. Agbonlahor is very raw and lacks vision. He was through and had the chance to play Young in but took forever and wasted the chance. Harewood missed a sitter. These could have been very costly if Spurs nicked an equaliser.

Spurs are a shambles. :lol:

I had high hopes for Spurs this season

some good signings and a class manager

where is it all going wrong?

I had high hopes for Spurs this seasonsome good signings and a class manager

where is it all going wrong?

So did a lot of people, the same people who had high hopes for them last season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The same folk who said liverpol would challenge for the title & arsenal wouldn't finish in the top 4. :lol: :lol:

And to make it funnier they've repeated the same predictions this year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The future just ain't what it used to be

Spurs going for it to get back into the game and have taken off Dawson for Giovani, so they should be quite easy to pick off, and Milner's about to come on!

Petrov :angry:

Why the angry face next to Petrov? I thought he was excellent!

At that moment he had just given away a corner by fannying about.

Oh right! Overall I thought he was excellent, close run between Barry, Davies and Petrov for MOTM. Cuellar and Sidwell have their work cut out!

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot about Milner as well!

Oh right! Overall I thought he was excellent, close run between Barry, Davies and Petrov for MOTM. Cuellar and Sidwell have their work cut out!

It's been a long time since we had decent competition for places in the squad, for years the team has almost been able to pick itself.

Having Cuellar (and maybe even Knight to an extent) will keep Davies and Laursen on their toes.

Gardner will provide competition for Luke Young.

Sidwell, Reo Coker and Petrov are playing for two spots.

Milner, Young and Routledge are playing for the right wing spot.

Young can play on the left as well, so that provides competition if necessary for Gareth Barry.

Bouma when he comes back can fight it out with Shorey for left back.

The only position where the is no real competition is up front where Carew and Gabby only have big Harewood and that's not much competition, the fact that he's only started 1 league game since we paid (takes in air) £4 million for him last summer, says it all.

It's been a long time since we had decent competition for places in the squad, for years the team has almost been able to pick itself.

Having Cuellar (and maybe even Knight to an extent) will keep Davies and Laursen on their toes.

Gardner will provide competition for Luke Young.

Sidwell, Reo Coker and Petrov are playing for two spots.

Milner, Young and Routledge are playing for the right wing spot.

Young can play on the left as well, so that provides competition if necessary for Gareth Barry.

Bouma when he comes back can fight it out with Shorey for left back.

The only position where the is no real competition is up front where Carew and Gabby only have big Harewood and that's not much competition, the fact that he's only started 1 league game since we paid (takes in air) £4 million for him last summer, says it all.

Ashley Young usually plays on the left and Barry plays in the centre.

Reo-Coker has been filling in at right-mid but I expect Milner to take over there soon.

I don't see Gardner as competition for Luke Young. I see him as a poor back-up option as he's really a midfielder.

Ashley Young usually plays on the left and Barry plays in the centre.

Reo-Coker has been filling in at right-mid but I expect Milner to take over there soon.

I don't see Gardner as competition for Luke Young. I see him as a poor back-up option as he's really a midfielder.

MON claimed that Gardner was used to playing right back (I think he was that as a youngster) in an interview I saw with him, I think it was around the time of the return leg against Hafnarfjordur.

I really don't like Barry in the middle as he always seems a bit lapse in there and a bit lacking in dig, I feel there has to be a different line-up against the better teams as having effectively 4 attackers (Milner, Young, Agbonlahor and Carew) against the likes of Man United leaves us a bit exposed at the back.

I'm starting to like Reo Coker now, he seems to have gained a real burst of pace from somewhere!

MON claimed that Gardner was used to playing right back (I think he was that as a youngster) in an interview I saw with him, I think it was around the time of the return leg against Hafnarfjordur.

I really don't like Barry in the middle as he always seems a bit lapse in there and a bit lacking in dig, I feel there has to be a different line-up against the better teams as having effectively 4 attackers (Milner, Young, Agbonlahor and Carew) against the likes of Man United leaves us a bit exposed at the back.

I'm starting to like Reo Coker now, he seems to have gained a real burst of pace from somewhere!

I didn't know that. If that is indeed the case I can see why Gardner was moved to midfield as he's a terrible right-back.

I disagree, I think Barry is Villa's best player and has to play in the centre of midfield. I wouldn't be surprised if MON went with a 4-5-1 away to teams like Man Utd. For example:

Friedel

L. Young Davies Laursen Shorey

Agbonlahor Petrov Reo-Coker Barry A.Young

Carew

Reo-Coker is growing on me a bit but for all his drive and determination he still lacks quality. There was a moment in the Spurs match that summed it up. Villa broke on the counter with Reo-Coker in possession. He had a great chance to play Agbonlahor in behind but held on and held on because he didn't have the skill to thread the pass through. He eventually shot straight at a defender.

I didn't know that. If that is indeed the case I can see why Gardner was moved to midfield as he's a terrible right-back.

I disagree, I think Barry is Villa's best player and has to play in the centre of midfield. I wouldn't be surprised if MON went with a 4-5-1 away to teams like Man Utd. For example:

Friedel

L. Young Davies Laursen Shorey

Agbonlahor Petrov Reo-Coker Barry A.Young

Carew

Reo-Coker is growing on me a bit but for all his drive and determination he still lacks quality. There was a moment in the Spurs match that summed it up. Villa broke on the counter with Reo-Coker in possession. He had a great chance to play Agbonlahor in behind but held on and held on because he didn't have the skill to thread the pass through. He eventually shot straight at a defender.

See that I don't mind so much, as when Young goes on his forward runs it leaves Barry on the left of the three central midfielders, where he and Shorey can overlap to take advantage of both their particular strengths.

I just don't like him so much in the middle of a 4 like we're playing at the moment

Reo Coker Petrov Barry Young

It just doesn't have the same dig to it, whereas your 451 obviously transfers with ease to a 433 on the counter, which suits Barry better as he has more space to move!

See that I don't mind so much, as when Young goes on his forward runs it leaves Barry on the left of the three central midfielders, where he and Shorey can overlap to take advantage of both their particular strengths.

I just don't like him so much in the middle of a 4 like we're playing at the moment

Reo Coker Petrov Barry Young

It just doesn't have the same dig to it, whereas your 451 obviously transfers with ease to a 433 on the counter, which suits Barry better as he has more space to move!

The 4-4-2 worked against Spurs. Barry was outstanding and was named man of the match.

On your point of the midfield lacking dig I'd say that you would replace Petrov with Reo-Coker rather than move Gareth Barry.

Archived