For Villa Fans - Page 7 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

For Villa Fans

Guest GibbyTON

All depends on the money they were talking about for him. If Wigan were going to buy Campbell (Hull were rumoured to be paying £7 million, before he went to Tottenham on loan), they would want to recoup a fair proportion of their money from Villa for Emile Heskey.

Obviously as he's a multi-time capped England international he'd be better than Harewood, but would a guy like Heskey move to Birmingham as a squad player???

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All depends on the money they were talking about for him. If Wigan were going to buy Campbell (Hull were rumoured to be paying £7 million, before he went to Tottenham on loan), they would want to recoup a fair proportion of their money from Villa for Emile Heskey.

Obviously as he's a multi-time capped England international he'd be better than Harewood, but would a guy like Heskey move to Birmingham as a squad player???

Good points.

You also need to consider will the resale value of buying a 30yr old striker.

Good points.

You also need to consider will the resale value of buying a 30yr old striker.

I don't really think O'Neill will be bothered by that factor in this instance. There has to be a balance between youth and experience (as they have recognised in taking on Friedel, with no sell-on value, and a much younger keeper who will have one).

In Shorey, Davies, Sidwell, Milner, Young and Agbonlahor there is already a clutch of players there who will all have a hefty residual value to the club as their contracts wear down.

Then you have people like Delfouneso and other youngsters emerging from the academy, which also allows manouevre to sign established players at a cost as and when the need arises.

And to answer Salty's point, I think Heskey would jump at the chance to go and work for O'Neill again.

I don't really think O'Neill will be bothered by that factor in this instance. There has to be a balance between youth and experience (as they have recognised in taking on Friedel, with no sell-on value, and a much younger keeper who will have one).

In Shorey, Davies, Sidwell, Milner, Young and Agbonlahor there is already a clutch of players there who will all have a hefty residual value to the club as their contracts wear down.

Then you have people like Delfouneso and other youngsters emerging from the academy, which also allows manouevre to sign established players at a cost as and when the need arises.

And to answer Salty's point, I think Heskey would jump at the chance to go and work for O'Neill again.

Fair point. Friedel is in excellent but IMO. Aston Villa are looking a right good outfit now.

How much would you say is a fair price for Heskey then?

Fair point. Friedel is in excellent but IMO. Aston Villa are looking a right good outfit now.

How much would you say is a fair price for Heskey then?

That's a good question!

Things have gone that bonkers down there now it's hard to tell.

I'd say £5m is reasonable in the current climate. But if Marlene is worth £4.5m then maybe they will have to go higher.

Heskey seems to be one of these players who is loved by the managers he plays for, and the players he plays with (notably Michael Owen) but who remains a bit of joke figure with fans. I reckon he'd be a decent signing, though if I were in O'Neill's shoes I'd be looking for a striker to play off Carew to challenge/rest Agbonlahor, rather than someone who would do similar work.

On that, I saw Trapattoni the other day saying Doyle is worthy of Champions League football...

That's a good question!

Things have gone that bonkers down there now it's hard to tell.

I'd say £5m is reasonable in the current climate. But if Marlene is worth £4.5m then maybe they will have to go higher.

F*ck me what was I trying to say in that last post!!! Hopefully you worked out I was trying to say Friedel was an excellent buy.....the most underated goalkeeper down there for yonks......stops a lot of penalties too.

Aye, between £5-7m I was thinking for Heskey. It's a lot for a back-up striker but that's the English market for you and it's also what you need to do if you want to compete in that league.

I've been impressed by O'Neills signing over the summer.

Heskey seems to be one of these players who is loved by the managers he plays for, and the players he plays with (notably Michael Owen) but who remains a bit of joke figure with fans. I reckon he'd be a decent signing, though if I were in O'Neill's shoes I'd be looking for a striker to play off Carew to challenge/rest Agbonlahor, rather than someone who would do similar work.

On that, I saw Trapattoni the other day saying Doyle is worthy of Champions League football...

Would definitely be pleased to see him signed. I think they will go back in for him, whether it's January or the summer.

Martin Laursen's Denmark enjoyed a famous 3-2 victory over Portugal in Lisbon.

Laursen played all 90 minutes in the Group One (Europe) match as Nicklas Bendtner, Christian Poulson and Daniel Jensen fired the Danes to the win. Nani and Deco scored the Portuguese goals.

Gareth Barry was rock-solid in midfield as England saw off the challenge of Croatia in Zagreb.

Theo Walcott earned all the plaudits with a sublime hat-trick as Fabio Capello's men delighted the country with a 4-1 victory in Group Six (Europe).

Brad Guzan was an unused substitute as USA beat Trinidad and Tobago 3-0. Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Brian Ching were the goalscorers in Group One (North, Central America, Caribbean).

Moustapha Salifou played all 90 minutes as Togo went down 1-0 to Zambia in Group 11 (Africa).

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill will try to sign 30-year-old Wigan striker Emile Heskey in the January transfer window. (Daily Mirror)

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill wants to sign Wigan striker Emile Heskey for £3m but faces competition from the forward's former club Liverpool. (News of the World)

At least it's only a few quid, but if Liverpool want him they really think they are competing with us for the UEFA spot/4th place.

Aston Villa midfielder Craig Gardner has signed a new four-year deal that will keep him at Villa Park until 2012.

The 21-year-old first signed professional terms at the club in 2005 and made 25 appearances for Villa last season, including 15 starts in the Barclays Premier League.

He becomes the fourth player Villa player to renew his contract recently after Wilfred Bouma, John Carew and Gabriel Agbonlahor also signed new deals.

----------------------------------

He's nothing special, but we have a small squad and he seemed to be coming on to a game in the last few times I've seen him. He just needs to get a position sorted out, as being a back-up to Luke Young is not ideal for a young player.

Line-ups for todays game. I'll listen to it on the radio, and if it's worth watching I'll catch the replay at 4 tomorrow.

Tottenham

* 01 Gomes

* 22 Corluka

* 39 Woodgate

* 20 Dawson

* 03 Bale

* 07 Lennon

* 04 Zokora

* 06 Huddlestone

* 14 Modric

* 09 Pavlyuchenko

* 10 Bent

Substitutes

* 21 Cesar,

* 05 Bentley,

* 08 Jenas,

* 11 Gilberto,

* 17 Giovani,

* 18 Campbell,

* 24 O'Hara

Aston Villa

* 01 Friedel

* 02 Young

* 05 Laursen

* 15 Davies

* 21 Shorey

* 07 Young

* 19 Petrov

* 20 Reo-Coker

* 06 Barry

* 11 Agbonlahor

* 10 Carew

Substitutes

* 22 Guzan,

* 08 Milner,

* 09 Harewood,

* 16 Knight,

* 18 Routledge,

* 24 Cuellar,

* 26 Gardner

Ref: Steve Bennett

Cant brummies spell then ?

Irony overload.

Given I've seen Jim McAlister's name spelt in about half a dozen different ways on this site, if not more.

"Can't Brummies spell then?" was what you were looking for. Now away and come back when your diddy team win something of note.

Irony overload.

Given I've seen Jim McAlister's name spelt in about half a dozen different ways on this site, if not more.

"Can't Brummies spell then?" was what you were looking for. Now away and come back when your diddy team win something of note.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

just having a laugh, i've actually nothing against villa (they're not exactly a threat are they ? :rolleyes: ), but i hope they win tonight and keep tottingham at the bottom.

Good save by gomes there !!

The future just ain't what it used to be

:lol: :lol: :lol:

just having a laugh, i've actually nothing against villa (they're not exactly a threat are they ? :rolleyes: ), but i hope they win tonight and keep tottingham at the bottom.

Good save by gomes there !!

I hope we don't do what we did the last time which was a f***ing nightmare, 4-1 up and we f***ed it up... I almost felt like a Hibee....

Listening to the game on 5 Live, Tottenham would be dead and buried by now if it weren't for Gomes!

I still reckon it's between us and Liverpool for 4th place this season. This numpty in charge at Spurs should be gone by Christmas!

Archived