Morton Aiming For 51st Renfrewshire Cup Win - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Aiming For 51st Renfrewshire Cup Win

standman

You read it here first - Morton are aiming for their 51st Renfrewshire Cup win a week on Saturday.

Thornliebank won the first tournament in 1879, with Morton's first triumph, a 3-0 final win against St Mirren not coming until 1893.

This was Morton's second Renfrewshire Cup final appearance. Their first ended with a 2-1 defeat by Port Glasgow Athletic in 1885.

Should the unthinkable happen i.e. a St Mirren victory we shall still be two victories ahead of them.

Let's rock !

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to take ages for the time to come but i canny wait till we hump them 2-0 a lilly wonder goal and millar goal late on will give us a hard fought victory :D

2487[/snapback]

When's the next victory in a competitive game that actually means anything going to come?

The last one was over SIX years ago :lol:

I started watching Saints at the beginning of the 76/77 season. Of the 67 competitive games played between Saints and Mor*on since then the record is...

Saints wins 42, Mor*on wins 14, draws 11

Read it and weep.

Standman i done an 'article' for another Morton Site (http://www.mortononline.co.uk ) a couple of years ago about the Renfrewshire Cup and according to what i read Morton had won it 46 at that time, therefore if we win it this season it would be 48. How do you know it is our 51st if we win it?

2532[/snapback]

Damn lies and statistics! :lol:

THE WORLD SHALL HEAR FROM ME AGAIN!

Standman i done an 'article' for another Morton Site (http://www.mortononline.co.uk ) a couple of years ago about the Renfrewshire Cup and according to what i read Morton had won it 46 at that time, therefore if we win it this season it would be 48. How do you know it is our 51st if we win it?

2532[/snapback]

Maybe we shared the cup 6 times and they count as one-half of a win each.

In the same way that the **** have won 50 and a half titles.

AT

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Jona - I have an excellent book called "The Winners" which lists all the winners of each of the county cup tournaments ( published in 2002)

In this, it has Morton winning 45 times. This tallies with the St Mirren Renfrewshire Cup programme of two years ago.

Obviously we won in 2003 and 2004 which would make 47 wins. This also tallies with an excellent St Mirren site which lists all they times they have won.

However.... both the book The Winners and St Mirren sources have 'no competition held' between 1992 and 95.

This , in fact is not the case. St Mirren withdrew after being knocked out by Bellaire in 1991 but the tournament continued with Morton beating IBM 5-0 in 1992. We recorded a 2-0 win over Greenock HSFP in 1993 and defeated Viewfield Rovers 6-2 in 1995.

The only year in the nineties there was no contest was 1994.

So the 47 wins everyone knows of plus the three 'forgotten' wins makes 50.

I went to the Watt library last week to verify the three 'missing' wins and have e-mailed the St Mirren historian guy who now accepts we have won 50 times as he was unaware the tournament still took place without St Mirren in te early nineties.

Let's rock !

This , in fact is not the case. St Mirren withdrew after being knocked out by Bellaire in 1991 but the tournament continued with Morton beating  IBM 5-0 in 1992. We recorded a 2-0 win over Greenock HSFP in 1993 and defeated Viewfield Rovers 6-2 in 1995.

2632[/snapback]

There is a picture of Morton winning the trophy in 1995 in one of the programmes I have from that season, so that one is for definate!! :)

Archived