10th April 1980 : Morton 2 Rangers 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

10th April 1980 : Morton 2 Rangers 2

tontastic

If anyone is interested, and doesn't mind downloading a 300 MByte file ... there are extended highlights from the above match at the following url ...

http://www.tontastic.com/archive/1980-04-1...n_V_Rangers.avi

I strongly recommend saving to disk and playing from there, rather than just selecting "open".

Anyone hazard a guess what the attendance was for the game?

This is a bit of an experiment to see how easy it is for folk to download footage such as this from the tontastic web site. I am considering an experiment to make a lot of old footage such as this available through the web site. It is potentially an expensive experiment due to having to increase my bandwidth allowance, and buy additional hardware (hard disks) to hold the video. I've had an encouraging response to the Ton of Memories DVD offer through my web site, and if I keep getting orders then this might become a reality.

I've heard from numerous people over the past couple of years with offers of old games on video tapes. If anyone has this kind of stuff up their loft and especially if anyone still has old video recorders lying around that could be used to transfer footage, please get in touch to tontastic@ntlworld.com.

Tontastic : Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

If anyone is interested, and doesn't mind downloading a 300 MByte file ... there are extended highlights from the above match at the following url ...

http://www.tontastic.com/archive/1980-04-1...n_V_Rangers.avi

I strongly recommend saving to disk and playing from there, rather than just selecting "open".

Anyone hazard a guess what the attendance was for the game?

This is a bit of an experiment to see how easy it is for folk to download footage such as this from the tontastic web site. I am considering an experiment to make a lot of old footage such as this available through the web site. It is potentially an expensive experiment due to having to increase my bandwidth allowance, and buy additional hardware (hard disks) to hold the video. I've had an encouraging response to the Ton of Memories DVD offer through my web site, and if I keep getting orders then this might become a reality.

I've heard from numerous people over the past couple of years with offers of old games on video tapes. If anyone has this kind of stuff up their loft and especially if anyone still has old video recorders lying around that could be used to transfer footage, please get in touch to tontastic@ntlworld.com.

Error ID = 0xC00D1199, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Its probably just me but it says I need to download a codec.

Do you have a link to the one i need. Cheers!

"More and more people, no matter their political persuasion, are now seeing this for what it is; not a YES vote for SNP led nationalism but simply a YES vote for self-determination and the best way forward for a nation, increasingly ignored and disadvantaged by a London biased Government "

http://nationalcollective.com/

Error ID = 0xC00D1199, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Its probably just me but it says I need to download a codec.

Do you have a link to the one i need. Cheers!

Ah ... it will need the divx codec i believe. If you have ever downloaded the goals from the official site then this should be ok, if not, you will need to wait until tonight so i can check what codec should be used. Sorry!

Was the attendance not around 19,500 or 20,000.

Remember being in the wee bit next to the Morton dugout for this game, and being introduced to the Rangers players after the game.

(I had the privledge of this at every game at scappa for 2 years)

It is a quote I use quite often 'Ally Dawson made me fat' as he had given me a tray of pies in the Rangers dressing room after this game :lol: And I have never looked back since. :P

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Ah ... it will need the divx codec i believe. If you have ever downloaded the goals from the official site then this should be ok, if not, you will need to wait until tonight so i can check what codec should be used. Sorry!

No, I have that as I download the videos from the official site.

"More and more people, no matter their political persuasion, are now seeing this for what it is; not a YES vote for SNP led nationalism but simply a YES vote for self-determination and the best way forward for a nation, increasingly ignored and disadvantaged by a London biased Government "

Tontastic, thank you very much for putting this on, brings back great memories, well some not so great as I remember how gutted I felt when they clawed it back.

And the fact Tam who used to go to Cappielow grabbed me when we scored our second and hugged me with his flaky skinned face flaking all over me. :(

Weird how some things plant in your memory.

We should have buried them though, we were a joy to watch.

Scoreboard in the Wee Dublin end, I had forgot all about it.

The boys with the green jackets, white hats (looked like party hats) and orange tray for holding their wares for sale (ki-ora macaroon and chewing gum), how did they not get murdered with that clobber on playing Rangers. :lol:

The coal depot still occupied, it was a relative walk down memory lane. :D

Cheers. :D

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Got it to work now!

Thanks for putting this up. B)

Great to see and some great memories- How good were Tolmie and Holmes!. We had a fair few chances to kill that game off.

It was horrible to see so few morton fans. The home end was over 50% rangers fans and I dont ever remember it being like that. :blink:

Got it to work now!

Thanks for putting this up. B)

Great to see and some great memories- How good were Tolmie and Holmes!. We had a fair few chances to kill that game off.

It was horrible to see so few morton fans. The home end was over 50% rangers fans and I dont ever remember it being like that. :blink:

Was always like that when the OF came to town around that time.

I wasn't allowed in the Cowshed at that age anyway, in fact I remember going nuts when I wasn't allowed to go to a Morton v Celtic match because men where fighting in McDougall Street before the game, where I stayed in 1980.

My mam wouldn't let me out and I had to sit at my window and 'listen' to the crowd to try and guage the scores.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Was the attendance not around 19,500 or 20,000.

Remember being in the wee bit next to the Morton dugout for this game, and being introduced to the Rangers players after the game.

(I had the privledge of this at every game at scappa for 2 years)

It is a quote I use quite often 'Ally Dawson made me fat' as he had given me a tray of pies in the Rangers dressing room after this game :lol: And I have never looked back since. :P

I may be wrong, but I'm sure the capacity then was 16,000!

We had games against the old firm which were over 20,000 in those days, just not sure about this one.

Capacity at Cappielow was around 22,000, but that was shoe-horning them in.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Attendance was 14,143.

Sitting with the programme.

The previous season on 20/10/1979 there was 19,648 in Cappielow for the famous 1-0 game.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

We had games against the old firm which were over 20,000 in those days, just not sure about this one.

Capacity at Cappielow was around 22,000, but that was shoe-horning them in.

My old man told me about crowds of over 20,000 at Cappielow, but I can't remember this being the case in the 80s, or even the late seventies!

Cheers for the stats, I was at both these games! Ah the memories!

No probs, but you had me scamperring around the loft :P

Came back down with more than what I needed, slap in the head for me when her indoors gets in. :lol:

I am convinced 1 game against one of the OF the crowd did break the 20,000 mark, but I can't find anything to back that up, so I can only asume i was mistaken.

If anyone is remotely intrested I have all the results/stats from every Tennents Sixes match at Ingliston in 1985 when we got to the final before Hearts pumped us.

Thats one for the Statos who want to keep them for future reference.

My god my life was exciting. :rolleyes:

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

No probs, but you had me scamperring around the loft :P

Came back down with more than what I needed, slap in the head for me when her indoors gets in. :lol:

I am convinced 1 game against one of the OF the crowd did break the 20,000 mark, but I can't find anything to back that up, so I can only asume i was mistaken.

If anyone is remotely intrested I have all the results/stats from every Tennents Sixes match at Ingliston in 1985 when we got to the final before Hearts pumped us.

Thats one for the Statos who want to keep them for future reference.

My god my life was exciting. :rolleyes:

Shhh!!! That is disk 2 of "3 Ton of Memories" ... don't give away the ending ...

Shhh!!! That is disk 2 of "3 Ton of Memories" ... don't give away the ending ...

;) :P Okey dokey

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Great to see - I only had the final goal from that game, along with the Benny Rooney interview afterwards.

S*ndy J*rd*ne booed and jeered at every touch - :D

The Girvan Lighthouse fluffing an easy corner - :lol:

The Morton side (as Rooney put it) "clockwatching" - <_>

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Tontastic, thank you very much for putting this on, brings back great memories, well some not so great as I remember how gutted I felt when they clawed it back.

And the fact Tam who used to go to Cappielow grabbed me when we scored our second and hugged me with his flaky skinned face flaking all over me. :(

Weird how some things plant in your memory.

I mind Tam, an old neighbour of mine. One of many who turned their back on Morton for the Old Scum when things started to go downhill for us!

A bit smelly and indeed, flaky, but a good guy. Bless his soul.

SUNSET FESTIVAL
In aid of Ardgowan Hospice
Greenock Police Club
Saturday 2nd July 2011

The above event solely contributed a donation of over £1240 to the Hospice. Great night, great musical performances, and great generosity from all of those who participated. Thank you. It will be back!

Enquiries to sunsetfestival@yahoo.com

I mind Tam, an old neighbour of mine. One of many who turned their back on Morton for the Old Scum when things started to go downhill for us!

A bit smelly and indeed, flaky, but a good guy. Bless his soul.

I know, but you couldn't get at Tam for it, just wouldn't be right.

Being crushed by him with his face against mine as a ten year old when Morton scored their second will haunt me forever, but it was the sheer joy that we had went 2-0 up against them.

Certainly doesn't seem like 26 years ago. :unsure:

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Archived