The St Mirren Result - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The St Mirren Result

Tonsilitis

Last season, St Mirren lost only two league games at Love Street - both 1-0 - to Airdrie and Falkirk. Their only other defeat at Love Street was to the mighty Forfar in the CIS cup (5-2).

Given they have been so hard to beat at home, our result against looks even better.

When you look at last season for them, if they had had a decent goal scorer they would have romped the league as they certainly were not conceding many.

leaving aside the fact that its always great to beat them, no matter what way you look at it its a very good result. 2-0 away from home to a team who finished runners up in the league above us last season? i'll take that every time thank you very much.

the fact that it's away from home makes me feel confident about the coming season as well, as we look like we'll carry a real goal threat away from home this season, as well as being solid at the back....

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

I was thinking about this too, beating St Mirren 2-0 at Love Street is a great result considering how good their defensive record at home last season was.

However, as the Skunks will no doubt remind us, it was only a 'glorified friendly'. :P

Ton supporters have every reason to look forward to a great season.

Midden fans must be very worried ... a draw with Dumbarton, a close win over Stenhousemuir and Saturday's loss to the Ton cannot fill them with hope.

Imagine how bad they would feel if they had played Sporting Lisbon.

Guest strongbad

as long as the boo boys stay quiet and give the team time to get going at home. away from home the pressure is less and the players enjoy themselves more, but at cappielow the pressure to win mixed with the boo's after every mis timed pass etc dont do us any favours at all.

the game lasts for 90 minutes so they should be given until that time before they moan.

the team is looking great however from reports I have heard (out of towner) so I reckon if they turn in a few silky performances at scappa the fans will be backing them all the way.

we should tr and encourage them to sing instead of boo.

when the supporters boo, everyone should just sing, if they started critisizing Templeman, then sing his name, it's the only way to stop them being heard.

We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Ton supporters have every reason to look forward to a great season.

Midden fans must be very worried ... a draw with Dumbarton, a close win over Stenhousemuir and Saturday's loss to the Ton cannot fill them with hope.

Imagine how bad they would feel if they had played Sporting Lisbon.

8393[/snapback]

They do double training sessions in the morning before pre-season games so they are as tired as possible. They lose friendlies but will be the fittest team in the division by a long way.

Guest ton_will_get_promoted

Isn't Hinchcliffe supposed to be the cream of scottish lower league goalkeeping?

I suppose playing for the scum does ye no favours though.

Isn't Hinchcliffe supposed to be the cream of scottish lower league goalkeeping?

I suppose playing for the scum does ye no favours though.

8594[/snapback]

Hinchcliffe is so over-rated!

He looked good at Arbroath because the team was so s***e that he was constantly having to save them.

Against better opposition, like ourselves, he struggles badly.

Hinchcliffe is so over-rated!

He looked good at Arbroath because the team was so s***e that he was constantly having to save them.

Against better opposition, like ourselves, he struggles badly.

8595[/snapback]

Have to disagree. Saw him four times last season and he looked good every time. Yes, on Saturday he didn't look too hot but you cant argue with his shut-out record last season.

Still think Stiffler and the Gannet will give him a run for his money as the best keeper in the First Division in 06/07, however. Though the Skunks will be in the Second then! :lol:

He made a fantastic save when Jason Walker was one-on-one with him though. Maybe he just had a bad game.....

8500[/snapback]

Was right behind it, it was a shocking miss IMO by Walker. Put it exactly where Hinchcliffe "showed" him to.

8393[/snapback]

Last years pre-season was even worse...we lost 3-1 to Dumbarton, drew with Stenny and lost to you lot...yet we finished 2nd in the league and got to the last 8 of the cup.

Whereas you beat us but trailed in third in the league to those footballing giants that are Brechin and Stranraer. :lol:

Pre-season games mean nothing, they are mere exercises in getting players fit and trying out different formations to usual.

Being serious, best of luck for the forthcoming season, I geuinely hope you get promoted (and just to pre-empt any smartarses or bawbags, you won't be waving at us on the way up because we're not going down ;) ). 4 league games between the sides would be good for the bank balances of both clubs.

The 1800 you brought on Saturday will be more than the combined supports of Brechin, Stranraer St. Johnstone and Ross County for the 8 games they'll play at Love St during the season :(

I started watching Saints at the beginning of the 76/77 season. Of the 67 competitive games played between Saints and Mor*on since then the record is...

Saints wins 42, Mor*on wins 14, draws 11

Read it and weep.

At the end of the day a victory is a victory and one against your rivals is all the sweeter regardless of all the ''training exercise'' and ''weak team'' shouts. You can only beat whats put in front of you and the Ton certainly did that on Saturday. So bring on Gretna!

Can anyone else figure out how the hell St.Mirren came 2nd in the league last season? I'm not saying this because I support the Ton, but I thought they were a terrible team, scrappy football, rough tackles and always putting the ball outta the park.

9016[/snapback]

I can...because we had the best defensive record in the entire SFL highlighted by the fact we've only conceded 2 league goals in 2005 and only 23 in total for the season.

Coupled with that fact that in 8 league games when we went behind, we turned it around to win 3 and draw the other 5

You're basing your opinion..."they were a terrible team, scrappy football, rough tackles and always putting the ball outta the park" on 90 mins of a meaningless pre-season friendly.

By the same rationale your world beaters who triumphed 2-0 against us should walk the 2nd division this season hrm?

But wait, that didn't quite work out after the same thing happened this time last year did it? :rolleyes:

I started watching Saints at the beginning of the 76/77 season. Of the 67 competitive games played between Saints and Mor*on since then the record is...

Saints wins 42, Mor*on wins 14, draws 11

Read it and weep.

Archived