Allan Mcgraw Interview- Backpass Magazine - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Allan Mcgraw Interview- Backpass Magazine

standman

In the excellent retro mag Backpass, there is an interview with Allan McGraw.

There is a breakdown of his goals in 63-64.

The breakdown says that of the 58 goals, 50 were in the league, with four each in the cups.

Is this correct as I've often read he had 58 league goals that season?

Let's rock !

Guest Andy Brady

Cue Flyerton. . .

Davie McArthur would have been 30 odd when McGraw scored those record goals, maybe he can provide some answers?

From memory, I thought it was 58 league goals and 8 in the cups, giving a total of 66 goals.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Standman, what issue was this in. I'm still reading the christmas issue, number 33. First time I have seent his magazine but it's very good. Great article on season 1977/78. Morton top of Div 1, scored 95 goals and only conceded 42. My first full season following the Ton.

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

From memory, I thought it was 58 league goals and 8 in the cups, giving a total of 66 goals.

I think your right.

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

A bit of inaccuracy at the end of the article wgeee the author claims it was goal difference which denied Allan a crack at the Premier League , in 1995/96

Two things: firstly We weren't on level points with Dunfermline who won the league and clinched the automatic promotion spot. It was the play off we missed out on.

Secondly, Allan led Miorton to the Premier League in the 80's, winning promotion in 87 and being relegated the following year.

That said, it was great to see Allan feature in a national magazine , bringing his goal scoring exploits to the attention of all of the readers .

Let's rock !

Guest Eric M.

The souvenir programme published at the end of the 1963/64 season gives Allan's total goals as 58 including League and Scottish Cups. We scored a total of 135 league goals in 36 games. Happy days.

Must agree with Standman - Backpass is a good read.

The souvenir programme published at the end of the 1963/64 season gives Allan's total goals as 58 including League and Scottish Cups. We scored a total of 135 league goals in 36 games. Happy days.

Must agree with Standman - Backpass is a good read.

That is correct, although as I go through it on the "50 years ago " thread, I only get it to add up to 57, so will need to double check all the remaining match reports. At this stage of the season in 1963/64 he is already on 45.

He also scored 3 goals in the end of season Summer Cup that season, a new tournament for all of the top division teams minus the OF. So his overall total was 61. Morton were invited to participate in that competition when relegated East Stirlingshire refused to take part for financial reasons.

In all competitions Morton scored 171 goals that season - interesting comparison with 2013/14 !

A bit of inaccuracy at the end of the article wgeee the author claims it was goal difference which denied Allan a crack at the Premier League , in 1995/96

Two things: firstly We weren't on level points with Dunfermline who won the league and clinched the automatic promotion spot. It was the play off we missed out on.

Secondly, Allan led Miorton to the Premier League in the 80's, winning promotion in 87 and being relegated the following year.

That said, it was great to see Allan feature in a national magazine , bringing his goal scoring exploits to the attention of all of the readers .

I remember both seasons well. The 95/96 season we had to beat Dundee Utd in last game to go forward to a play off against the plastic whistle. Drew the game and i was greeting like a big wean at the end. Will need to get the Feb issue. The christmas/new year one was very good.

Archived