The New Season Is Nearly Upon Us! - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The New Season Is Nearly Upon Us!

Tonsilitis

Moore has certainly stamped his authority at Cappielow and there is no doubt that the team that takes the field on Sunday will be his team. There's a mood of cautious optimism amongst the fans, especially comparing us with other teams like Thistle, Raith and the two promoted teams. Six weeks ago most of us though a mid table finish would be good. Is that still the case? Could we be setting our sights a bit higher?

Moore seems to have taken steps to close the back door with an all new and fairly competent looking defence assuming we get Lithgow.

We could have one of the best midfields in the division built around Tidser and Bachirou

The only doubt is whether we have the firepower upfront.

My expectation has now gone from being happy with maybe 7th but hoping for 5th to expecting at least 5th and maybe better. Over optimism??

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not optimistic OR pessimistic and I don't imagine that'll change for a couple of weeks no matter what happens in the next couple of games. It's a new team. Might be s***, might be good. Who knows ?

Bachirou has me excited though.

: )

I think the 'wee glesca sparra' has rubbed off his infectious enthusiasm on the team, highlighted in bold, purely because we have not been team over the last couple of seasons. Hopefully, we now have an ambitious manager (that will move on to greater things) who will be pivotal in making the 'ton a great team again.

Moore has certainly stamped his authority at Cappielow and there is no doubt that the team that takes the field on Sunday will be his team. There's a mood of cautious optimism amongst the fans, especially comparing us with other teams like Thistle, Raith and the two promoted teams. Six weeks ago most of us though a mid table finish would be good. Is that still the case? Could we be setting our sights a bit higher?

Moore seems to have taken steps to close the back door with an all new and fairly competent looking defence assuming we get Lithgow.

We could have one of the best midfields in the division built around Tidser and Bachirou

My expectation has now gone from being happy with maybe 7th but hoping for 5th to expecting at least 5th and maybe better. Over optimism??

Has this forum(s) scared off the management (chairman/board) from signing him?

Good post. I think that we are in better shape than I thought we would be. We have managed to ship out players who were not contributing on a Saturday (Walker and Russell) and other players who perhaps became a bit stale (Finlayson, McGuffie, McAlister, Paartalu) so all in all there has been a decent turnover of players.

I think that we have replaced these outgoings with players of at least the same quality, if not better (from what limited football I have seen Morton play so far this season) and so in that respect I think that we can hope for a higher league finish than last season.

With regards to our opposition in the league this season, I think we will struggle to match Dundee, Dunfermline and Falkirk. However, after that, I think that we should be looking to go shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Ross County, Partick Thistle and Queen of the South. I think we should stay comfortably clear of Raith Rovers, Stirling Albion and Cowdenbeath and of the group of teams mentioned for the mid-table spots, I think we should see off Partick Thistle and probably Queen of the South as well given the squad that Moore has built. That said, pre-season matches count for very little and in this league it only takes a 5 game winning streak to go top of the league and look unassailable; and the reverse is true if you get off to a bad start.

It should be an intriguing season and if guys like Stewart, Smyth, Tidser and Weatherson stay fit and play well, the spine of our team is as good as any in the division and I think Moore has built round them pretty well so far with the acquistions of Lithgow (if signed), Bachirou, O'Brien and Evans in particular. Kean and Kelbie I am less convinced about, I think that on Saturday we may see a striker playing for Dumbarton (Carcary) that would have been better foil for Weatherson, but we have 1 very good striker (Weatherson) and 4 other strikers who between them should be looking to bag 20-25 goals on top of the 15-20 that Weatherson will hopefully get.

I don't think 5th would be an unreasonable expectation, and 4th might even be achievable. A finish higher than that would require our players to punch above their weight considerably in my opinion.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Has this forum(s) scared off the management (chairman/board) from signing him?

:lol: Not a chance, if we don't sign Lithgow it certainly won't be because of the opinions of a handful on here.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

Good post. I think that we are in better shape than I thought we would be. We have managed to ship out players who were not contributing on a Saturday (Walker and Russell) and other players who perhaps became a bit stale (Finlayson, McGuffie, McAlister, Paartalu) so all in all there has been a decent turnover of players.

I think that we have replaced these outgoings with players of at least the same quality, if not better (from what limited football I have seen Morton play so far this season) and so in that respect I think that we can hope for a higher league finish than last season.

With regards to our opposition in the league this season, I think we will struggle to match Dundee, Dunfermline and Falkirk. However, after that, I think that we should be looking to go shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Ross County, Partick Thistle and Queen of the South. I think we should stay comfortably clear of Raith Rovers, Stirling Albion and Cowdenbeath and of the group of teams mentioned for the mid-table spots, I think we should see off Partick Thistle and probably Queen of the South as well given the squad that Moore has built. That said, pre-season matches count for very little and in this league it only takes a 5 game winning streak to go top of the league and look unassailable; and the reverse is true if you get off to a bad start.

It should be an intriguing season and if guys like Stewart, Smyth, Tidser and Weatherson stay fit and play well, the spine of our team is as good as any in the division and I think Moore has built round them pretty well so far with the acquistions of Lithgow (if signed), Bachirou, O'Brien and Evans in particular. Kean and Kelbie I am less convinced about, I think that on Saturday we may see a striker playing for Dumbarton (Carcary) that would have been better foil for Weatherson, but we have 1 very good striker (Weatherson) and 4 other strikers who between them should be looking to bag 20-25 goals on top of the 15-20 that Weatherson will hopefully get.

I don't think 5th would be an unreasonable expectation, and 4th might even be achievable. A finish higher than that would require our players to punch above their weight considerably in my opinion.

I disagree, hopefully moore will shore up a woeful (Greacen) defence. Not a personal attack on Stewart. but i think his days are numbered. I also think that Kelbie will score more than Peter, If he overcomes his weight problem. The guy is a diabetic, so it may just take a wee bit more time

in terms of gaining full fitness,

Tidser, yes. Bachirou? It's bold to say we'll be building a midfield around the guy when he hasn't even played 90 minutes for us (AFAIK) and no competitive games.

I'd say firepower is not our only doubt either. We don't know how the defence will function at first division level, although I'd be disappointed if it wasn't one of the better back lines in the league. In midfield we need a right sided player and it's anyone's guess how O'Brien/Monti will fare this year.

I'll be apprehensive until I see some signs of a team that look capable of finishing in the top half.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

We SHOULd be tighter at the back than last season, especially if we do land Lithgow, and the midfield should be a good footballing unit once it gels.

Weatherson will hopefully be at his best again if he's recovered from that injury and the French guys seem to have impressed those who've seen them play.

I think we should hope to finish fifth, maybe sixth. Fourth would be great this season.

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

I disagree, hopefully moore will shore up a woeful (Greacen) defence. Not a personal attack on Stewart. but i think his days are numbered. I also think that Kelbie will score more than Peter, If he overcomes his weight problem. The guy is a diabetic, so it may just take a wee bit more time

in terms of gaining full fitness,

Interesting. Based on what, though?

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Mid-table would seem realistic. Think we will continue to struggle for goals, Weatherson isn't fit/fast enough these days, but will score a reasonable number as usual. Don't think we have the firepower to break into the top 3.

you lot mad or middens in disguise, fuxake we won 13-0 the other night, moore will be giving dougie the 1st divison trophy for a christmas present, and the scottish cup for his 125th birthday.

12-1 at mcbookies get on it

Remember The Alamo --- MORTON 5 THE MIDDEN BUT 1

I honestly don't know how the season will pan out. We still appear to have the same problems as last season, namely lack of quality in the full back positions, lack of firepower up front and a lack of pace throughout the team. However, with Moore still looking to bring in a couple more players and move another couple on I'm hopeful these issues can be ironed out before the league starts in a couple of weeks.

If I had to hazard a guess just now I'd say 6th.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Really looking forward to Sunday, think we can be sure Moore will have them up a few gears from their last test against Bristol Rovers, and hopefully the guys who scored midweek will be fired up to hit the target in a proper match.

I didn't bother with any of the pre-season matches, but am quite excited about seeing so many new players. Feeling confident that we will be comfortably mid-table or higher this season and we can definitely bloody a few noses in the League and Scottish cups.

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

you lot mad or middens in disguise, fuxake we won 13-0 the other night, moore will be giving dougie the 1st divison trophy for a christmas present, and the scottish cup for his 125th birthday.

12-1 at mcbookies get on it

You need a smiley, people on here don't comprehend textual sarcasm...

You need a smiley, people on here don't comprehend textual sarcasm...

No smiley required when you see the poster is Dirty D. His posts are always funny as far as I'm aware. :unsure:

btw Thornton , yer sig.... I've a feeling that I know where you're going with it. Will it include all of our new signings when confirmed ?

Show Racism the Red Card

No smiley required when you see the poster is Dirty D. His posts are always funny as far as I'm aware. :unsure:

btw Thornton , yer sig.... I've a feeling that I know where you're going with it. Will it include all of our new signings when confirmed ?

And as always he has been anal enough to put them all in alphabetical order. :ph34r:

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Archived