Europa League Started - Page 4 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Europa League Started

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aberdeen behind at Pittodrie, McGhee will have to change things going by the performance they've put in so far.

EDIT: Motherwell 3-0 down as well now, another poor night so far in Europe for Scottish clubs.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

morton4rp5.png

dons pumped 4 -1 scottish football in europes shortest journey, dons, celtic and motherwell

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

Full Time at Pittodrie and a frankly shocking scoreline. From listening to the commentary it is clear that Sigma are a handy outfit, but nothing more than that.

That co-efficient isn't going to improve with results like that.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

morton4rp5.png

Everyone involved in football in this country needs to take a serious look at what the hell we are playing at - especially the coaches.

The game is dying on its arse in Scotland and it goes way beyond arguments about too many governing bodies and bureaucracy, lack of investment and summer football.

Those kind of factors don't explain why a nation our size simply cannot produce a decent amount of good players who can play to a reasonable standard. There has to be an underlying systemic problem which starts it off.

At it's most basic, there must be a reason why most other countries, some similar to us but others not, can develop skilled footballers who have a first touch, can control the ball, pass it and beat a man (i.e. properly trained professionals).

I'd love to hear from the 'technical people' why our coaching mentality can't manage that. Instead they blame everybody but themselves - the people actually involved in the game who churn these players out. They'll try and pin on it anybody - whether it's fans for insisting on 'get it up the park' tactics, politicians for not bankrolling youth development, or the media for doing the game down.

To give an example of the people I mean, the first person I thought of when I saw that result tonight was Craig Levein. He was recently giving it 'the media are too negative, I see games in England and they are rubbish there too, they just market it better, we have a good a league of good standard as well, and we'll even get a better TV deal than the Setanta one' ( :lol: ). Who are these people trying to kid exactly?

To me, attitudes like his just show the level of denial within the game and the scale of the problems we face.

And the worrying thing is that's coming from a guy who is rated as quite sensible (but who couldn't even get his team to finish above the team who have just been humiliated by moderate European opposition tonight).

Yes, there are issues to address in terms of funding, school sport and facilities etc. But until people involved in football can admit that they are getting it badly wrong somewhere too, then we are never going to get anywhere near fixing the problems that are being painfully highlighted year in, year out.

good post

the problems with Scottish football are numerous and varied, from grass roots kids games to football chairmen and beyond.

I will probably post my thoughts tomorrow, but for me everyone is to blame to some extent or another, some more than others though.

Scottish football is depressing and is a joke.

Time for bed.

Everyone involved in football in this country needs to take a serious look at what the hell we are playing at - especially the coaches.

The game is dying on its arse in Scotland and it goes way beyond arguments about too many governing bodies and bureaucracy, lack of investment and summer football.

Those kind of factors don't explain why a nation our size simply cannot produce a decent amount of good players who can play to a reasonable standard. There has to be an underlying systemic problem which starts it off.

At it's most basic, there must be a reason why most other countries, some similar to us but others not, can develop skilled footballers who have a first touch, can control the ball, pass it and beat a man (i.e. properly trained professionals).

I'd love to hear from the 'technical people' why our coaching mentality can't manage that. Instead they blame everybody but themselves - the people actually involved in the game who churn these players out. They'll try and pin on it anybody - whether it's fans for insisting on 'get it up the park' tactics, politicians for not bankrolling youth development, or the media for doing the game down.

To give an example of the people I mean, the first person I thought of when I saw that result tonight was Craig Levein. He was recently giving it 'the media are too negative, I see games in England and they are rubbish there too, they just market it better, we have a good a league of good standard as well, and we'll even get a better TV deal than the Setanta one' ( :lol: ). Who are these people trying to kid exactly?

To me, attitudes like his just show the level of denial within the game and the scale of the problems we face.

And the worrying thing is that's coming from a guy who is rated as quite sensible (but who couldn't even get his team to finish above the team who have just been humiliated by moderate European opposition tonight).

Yes, there are issues to address in terms of funding, school sport and facilities etc. But until people involved in football can admit that they are getting it badly wrong somewhere too, then we are never going to get anywhere near fixing the problems that are being painfully highlighted year in, year out.

I think I could type for days on what I think is wrong. I think the biggest problem is the coaching mentality. It seems to be rigid and overly cautious. Young kids are encouraged to boot the ball to **** up the pitch, defenders are there to defend and should get rid of it at the first time of asking and not to think they are 'players'. It's the kind of thing you read on here all the time but if you watch most of the best teams in the world they have guys who can step out of defence with the ball at their feet and start moves. Players further forward are encouraged not to take any risks in possession or to show any individuality. My wee brother was telling me how his manager has them playing the game like robots with patterns of play that must be adhered to at all times and not taking more than a certain number of touches.

I also think there's other factors that can't be controlled. The rising living standards means there are no longer kids who are sufficiently poor that their desperation and hunger is so high that they'll do anything to climb out of the slums. Whereas in places like Argentina and Brazil guys like Carlos Tevez have nothing to do but play football all day everyday as they don't go to school, can hardly get a job while kids in Scotland all go to school and in their free time they play computers, watch DVDs, watch TV, drink on street corners etc etc. I think that also ties in with some of the larger nations drawing a lot of talent from immigrant populations whereas Scotland doesn't have significant immigrant populations to speak of (except Pakistanis, Indians and Chinese and these groups have not made an impact on football in the UK for whatever reasons be they cultural, lack of opportunity or that they are mostly successful and don't live in poverty). Whereas in England you have players of Carribean origin and more recently a lot of players of African origin (specfically Nigeria), in Holland there are Surinamers, France has many Africans and players from former colonies and overseas territories (Martinique, Guadeloupe, New Caledonia). There are Turks in Germany and Eastern Europeans in Scandinavia etc

I read a brilliant book by Gianluca Vialli and Gabrielle Marcotti called The Italian Job in which he compares Italian and English (British) football. He points to various factors why Britain is falling (or has fallen) behind the continent - the weather means its harder to train and play good football; that we are warrior islanders and view everything as a battle, including football and this is why we play it so fast and physically but that the players on the continent have caught up physically but have long surpassed us technically; that in Britain training is seen as a chore and all about physical exertion and playing in match type situations while on the continent players want to learn from their coaches and do a lot more work with ball. They spend a lot of time mastering the ball technically and also work on a player's body flexibility, movement, agility, ability to change direction and on short sharp bursts of pace to get away from opponents rather than on endurance or being able to run for 90 minutes.

What Scottish football really needs is someone from within, preferrably an intelligent foward thinker with solutions, to come out and outline the problems and how things can be improved. I kind of had hope Gordon Smith might've been in a position to do something like that when he was given his job at the SFA but it doesn't seem like it now. :(

Archived