2009 Baseball Thread - Page 5 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2009 Baseball Thread

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iain, "2 for 19" is a part of the batting average of hitters. In other words, the "2" stands for the number of hits in the "19" chances (known as "at bats") the barter had. Thus, 2 divided by 19 turns out to be a .105 batting average (or, in other words, he got a hit only 10.% ofthe time at bat).

This is not sensational at all. To be classified as a good hitter, you have to have a batting average of over at least .300 (or 30% of the time getting a hit). That's hard to do, believe me. The highest average recorded was Ted Williams, with about a .406 average.

Today, hitters like Maurer (ont he Twins), Cano (Yankees), Jeter (Yankees) and the like are htters that hit more for average. Others, like AROD (Yankees), Griffey (Mariners), Texieira (Yankees) are considered to be "power hitters" because they hit home runs instead of hitting for average.

And you also have some hitters that do both---hit for average and for power, which AROD (arguably the best player in baseball right now).

Hope it clarifies it, Iain. :)

"Throw me to the wolves, and I'll return leading the pack." ---Unknown

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

And you also have some hitters that do both---hit for average and for power, which AROD (arguably the best player in baseball right now).

Um.... is that the Yankee in you forgetting this guy, Trick?

albert-pujols.jpg

Looks like the Yanks are good for the Series but if Pedro were to pitch well again and earn the win, it would make game 7 VERY interesting given how well we've hit Sabathia. I think if it goes to game 7 the Phils win it, but that's just me.

Hope things have been good with you sir, it's been a while.

TRUST THE DUFF

Um.... is that the Yankee in you forgetting this guy, Trick?

albert-pujols.jpg

Looks like the Yanks are good for the Series but if Pedro were to pitch well again and earn the win, it would make game 7 VERY interesting given how well we've hit Sabathia. I think if it goes to game 7 the Phils win it, but that's just me.

Hope things have been good with you sir, it's been a while.

No, Chris, I didn't forget Pujols on purpose.....I said "for example." ;)

I hope it doesn't got o game 7, actually. I'm nervous enough as it is. I stayed up for games 3 and 4....luckily I had 3 days off this weekend. :) I cousin goes to every Yankees game, in a club box, and I'm officially jeallous.

I do hope Pettite wins it, and the series. It would be fitting for him, and it just may solidify his jump into the Hall of Fame.

"Throw me to the wolves, and I'll return leading the pack." ---Unknown

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

never really confident when AJ pitches, he always liable to have one bad inning that pretty much costs the game, i know he pitched brilliantly in game 2 but that was on full rest. It was not a must win game and Gaudin(?) should have pitched.

Although having said that if Jeter hadnt grounded into a double play in the 9th pretty sure the Yankees would have took the lead and won the game. However credit to the fighting Phils, Chase Utley no matter what the result of the World Series has to be considered for MVP of it.

Hopefully Andy can pitch well off short rest and beat Pedro to win it in game 6, think the momentum will shift if the Phillies win game 6 so cant afford to lose it

I do hope Pettite wins it, and the series. It would be fitting for him, and it just may solidify his jump into the Hall of Fame.

You've gotta be kidding me... the guy has had a good, and long career - but in his 15 years he has only posted an ERA under 3.80 THREE times. If Pettitte is worthy of a place in the hall of fame that would suggest that guys like David Wells should walk in and guys like Kevin Millwood have a chance :lol:

never really confident when AJ pitches, he always liable to have one bad inning that pretty much costs the game, i know he pitched brilliantly in game 2 but that was on full rest. It was not a must win game and Gaudin(?) should have pitched.

Although having said that if Jeter hadnt grounded into a double play in the 9th pretty sure the Yankees would have took the lead and won the game. However credit to the fighting Phils, Chase Utley no matter what the result of the World Series has to be considered for MVP of it.

Hopefully Andy can pitch well off short rest and beat Pedro to win it in game 6, think the momentum will shift if the Phillies win game 6 so cant afford to lose it

AJ was ineffective because the umpire didn't give him that curveball 8 inches off the plate that he was being given in his last start. You could see in the first inning he was looking for pitches that would have been called the other night, and I think this rattled him to an extent.

Pitching him on short rest was a risk, and it didn't work out. Roll on game 6.

TRUST THE DUFF

Iain, "2 for 19" is a part of the batting average of hitters. In other words, the "2" stands for the number of hits in the "19" chances (known as "at bats") the barter had. Thus, 2 divided by 19 turns out to be a .105 batting average (or, in other words, he got a hit only 10.% ofthe time at bat).

This is not sensational at all.

To be classified as a good hitter, you have to have a batting average of over at least .300 (or 30% of the time getting a hit). That's hard to do, believe me. The highest average recorded was Ted Williams, with about a .406 average.

Today, hitters like Maurer (ont he Twins), Cano (Yankees), Jeter (Yankees) and the like are htters that hit more for average. Others, like AROD (Yankees), Griffey (Mariners), Texieira (Yankees) are considered to be "power hitters" because they hit home runs instead of hitting for average.

Hope it clarifies it, Iain. :)

This is not sensational at all.

Gidday Trick,

That was my understanding.

But, when the ESPN commentator said it was sensational, I thought my understanding was incorrect.

Thanx.

Why are the Yankees more disliked than the Old Scum ??

:blink:

Lik the OF, the Yankees cherry-pick the best players from the other teams by offering them silly money as demonstrated by their $200,000,000+ annual payroll (source: http://baseball.about.com/od/newsrumors/a/09teamsalaries.htm)

Funnily enough, this tactic hasn't served them well more recently, until this year, and infact the Tampa Rays made the World Series with a $43,820,597 payroll last year despite being in the same division as the Red Sox ($133,390,035) and Yankees ($209,081,577).

Bizarrely, Alex Rodriguez earned $28,000,000 in 2008 which was $6,000,000 more than the ENTIRE Florida Marlins team put together. He made $33,000,000 this year, before bonuses and endorsements...

TRUST THE DUFF

trick, i think you're wrong in saying that good hitters average over .300. Good hitters average over .270, excellent hitters make .300. Where do you consider the mendoza line to be, .200 or .220? I say anything below .220 can't be offset by defensive or other attributes.

the guy below loves the boaby.

Archived