2009 Baseball Thread - Page 2 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2009 Baseball Thread

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the whole squad doesn't go to the Sunday game ?

Some must be rostered off ?

Each team plays 162 games in the regular season, and about 30 in the pre-season. Sometimes they play for 10-14 days straight without a day off, and the main players (the "starting players") usually do play every game in the season, or close to it, unlesss they're injured. (Pitchers are different because they have to rest their arms. Starting pitchers play every 4 to 5 games.) An example is the schedule for the Yankees for this year's regular season, which started on 3 April (click on the month tabs to see each month). The darkened spots are the home games, and the light ones are the away games. http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Click on the stats for Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez, FYI. Look for the numbers, and note that the "G" colums is the number of games played in that year.

Manky Dug can give you the exact number, but Cal Ripken, Jr. played a record 3100+ games in a row in the 80s and 90s.

"Throw me to the wolves, and I'll return leading the pack." ---Unknown

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

Not working at the mo and loving the time to watch the baseball !!!...Hate tht they dont show it on 5 till the ice hockey and basketball is all but finished ...total bollocks...but still can watch it on myp2p.

As always its a quite high scoring start to the season ,with a few teams having big wins or playing in high scoring close games also.But my beloved Tribe have got off to a terrible start and after a great start going 2-0 up in the 1st inning,they now find them selfs 4-3 dwn in the 4th or 5th and now in a game delay due to rain.

Heres hoping they can resume play soon and pick up the way they started the game and get their 1st win of the season onboard.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Live Sports - MyP2P

Check the Forum for Baseball Listings as MLB is no longer aloud on Sopcast

Can only recommend for those missing baseball on 5: mlb.tv! Although the initial outlay is a fair amount (works out just under £60 after the exchange) the quality is pretty good, and it's literally got every game available to UK subscribers. Been awesome to see every Red Sox game so far.

Annoyingly there's no studio element, but at least in the innings breaks / pitcher changes there are no commericals. All you get is a silent commercial for the upgraded (but not worth it) premium version.

Seems like a pretty open season thus far, expecting to see the phillies and the sox bounce back from slow starts. The mets look ok as well, watched last night's game and livan hernandez looks as solid a fifth starter as you'll get.

Can only recommend for those missing baseball on 5: mlb.tv! Although the initial outlay is a fair amount (works out just under £60 after the exchange) the quality is pretty good, and it's literally got every game available to UK subscribers. Been awesome to see every Red Sox game so far.

Annoyingly there's no studio element, but at least in the innings breaks / pitcher changes there are no commericals. All you get is a silent commercial for the upgraded (but not worth it) premium version.

I disagree. The Premium version of MLB.TV is well worth it, especially since the Premium version allows you to view games that have been archived, instead of only live (like the regular version does).

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

Why did the USA do so poorly in the 2009 World Baseball Classic ?

Did their team consist of minor league players ?

:blink:

any theories please ?

It happens, Iain. The US team had professional players, not minor leaguers (this isn't the Olympics). They were just out-played, that's all.

we must keep in mind that the Japanese have been playing baseball ALMOST as long as we have......

the best players aren't american. :rolleyes:

Not true, Alex. True, a lot of the best are foreign-born, but the likes of Jeter, Burnett, Teixiera, Alex Rodriguez, and the like are all American-born.

So, why do American clubs always win the World Series ?

Brazil doesn't always win the World Cup.

Only American teams can win the World Series (except for the Toronto Blue Jays). The World Series and the World Baseball Classic aren't the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Not true, Alex. True, a lot of the best are foreign-born, but the likes of Jeter, Burnett, Teixiera, Alex Rodriguez, and the like are all American-born.

because the yankees and usa baseball team have done so much lately? :P

btw, attended first rays game of the season last friday. luckily was able to see the win over the sox. also the first time i've ever seen a grand slam in person. :D

they can't build a new stadium soon enough though. ive had it with sitting in that cave. -_- :rolleyes:

because the yankees and usa baseball team have done so much lately? :P

btw, attended first rays game of the season last friday. luckily was able to see the win over the sox. also the first time i've ever seen a grand slam in person. :D

they can't build a new stadium soon enough though. ive had it with sitting in that cave. -_- :rolleyes:

Well, if the American-born players that have different heritages (i.e. Dominican, Puerto Rican, etc) quit playing for those teams, then the USA team would have one that could win the whole thing. As the rules stand, I could play for the NL team since I have Dutch ancestry (although my ancestors went to "New Amsterdam" in 1641).

Rays are falling already. Doesn't look good for you.

Can't wait to see the new Yankee Stadium!

Rays are falling already. Doesn't look good for you.
wouldn't declare panic time just yet. it's a long season. ;)

Can't wait to see the new Yankee Stadium!

wait, they let actual fans in? i thought they only let in business men and corporate bigwigs <_>

i like how they made the new stadium, looks great, actually seems a little too nice. but the prices are a total disgrace.

Seems like a pretty open season thus far, expecting to see the phillies and the sox bounce back from slow starts. The mets look ok as well, watched last night's game and livan hernandez looks as solid a fifth starter as you'll get.

I've watched every Red Sox game for free!! p2p mate...works great most of the time. I usually find a link from myp2p.eu

Speaking of which, what a weekend in the Sox v Wankees games. Great games no matter which team you support (but better if you are a Sox fan!!! :D). Sorry Trick!

Speaking of which, what a weekend in the Sox v Wankees games. Great games no matter which team you support (but better if you are a Sox fan!!! :D). Sorry Trick!

Boston sucks!!!!! With the injuries that we have, we're hanging in there (although we were hammered by Boston last week). Just wait until AROD and the other injured players come back.

The top of our battling lineup isn't hitting now, but the bottom sure is. And the acquisition of Nick Swisher....what a great deal!

Boston sucks!!!!! With the injuries that we have, we're hanging in there (although we were hammered by Boston last week). Just wait until AROD and the other injured players come back.

The top of our battling lineup isn't hitting now, but the bottom sure is. And the acquisition of Nick Swisher....what a great deal!

Right...cause Big Papi has been on fire-----erm! :unsure: Factor in that Boston has been playing without DiceK, Lugo/Lowrie (i.e a real shortstop) and Beckett hasn't found his arm yet, I say things look pretty even.

I still can't believe Papi hasn't hit a homerun this season...

Archived