Greenock Celtic - Page 18 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Greenock Celtic

rawheed rex

Whit's a devout atheist, mate ?

:blink:

Surely one canny be both devout and an atheist at the same time ?

Can there be degrees of atheism ?

Seems black and white to me.

You know what i mean you crafty devil <_>

“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.â€

― Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a short aside to this post, to those who believe in heaven and hell, if you are bad and goto hell wouldn't that please 'the devil' and he would make you welcome instead of the fire and drudgery that the christian church describe.

B)

“The Bible may, indeed does, contain a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.â€

http://theheavenorhellquiz.com/

What happens to an atheist who gets this quiz "correct" ??

:blink:

Didn't sign up for the results but i'm sure I'm going to hell.

Mmmmm lovely and warn, better stock up on the sun lotion.

You're missing the point completely here. What people are saying is that there should be no protestant, catholic, jewish, etc schools whatsoever as all it does is create divisions.

All schools should be non denominational in the true sense of the word. I dont think anyone is saying religious education is wrong in schools but it should be giving people an idea of others around them and they can relate their own outside beliefs to whatever they learn. This way people of all faiths can become more tolerant and no have an us and them attitude that you clearly have.

I'll ask you what I've asked others before - would you like a seperate school for whites and blacks? The notion that different religions should have different schools is no more absurd as this in my opinion.

Exactly.

On the whole religion thing I totally agree with Nach0. However, I was taught by my Nana (a devout Catholic) never to discuss my views on religion (and politics) with strangers - so I try to avoid arguing with people about religion and politics on here. But I'm sure my pals and family would tell you how fed up they are with my constant attempts to convince them there is no God.

I was taught by my Nana (a devout Catholic) never to discuss my views on religion (and politics) with strangers -

Very wise that. My parents tried to instill similar disciplines in me. My mother was a catholic before she married my Dad and my dad was always an agnostic type, well he seemed that way to me anyway, he wasn't a church-goer but my Mum was and still is.

I'll never find out who my parents voted for, indeed I don't even think my Mum ever told my Dad who she voted for or vice versa.

Exactly.

On the whole religion thing I totally agree with Nach0. However, I was taught by my Nana (a devout Catholic) never to discuss my views on religion (and politics) with strangers - so I try to avoid arguing with people about religion and politics on here. But I'm sure my pals and family would tell you how fed up they are with my constant attempts to convince them there is no God.

I never raise the subject. But if someone else raises it I don't hold back, because I don't see why I should. :D

EOho8Pw.png

I never raise the subject. But if someone else raises it I don't hold back, because I don't see why I should. :D

I don't think you should either. I've just learned from experience that it leads to pretty heated debates, people taking offence at the suggestion they are brainwashed and in some cases major fall-outs, so I try to avoid it unless I know them very well.

I like schools that teach the use of apostrophes.

Apostrophes will save us from the aliens.

Jesus had twelve apostrophes if I recall.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

If you require tales of hell and of burning bushes to instill a sense of right and wrong into your child then this is your failing, frankly.

The quality of education is the decisive factor Nacho, nothing else matters. My only requirement is that they get the best available to us, I don't regard that as a failing in the slightest.

My preference would be to get this in a secular environment, however, as we sit here today that's not possible.

We have to work within the confines of the current system so compromises are made accordingly.

I'm comfortable with the level of RE they get, it's not a Texan bible class. It doesn't bear any relation to the rote learning with my wee catechism that I was doing at the same age.

The curriculum spends time on other faiths although sadly I can confirm that Shinto didn't make the cut.

There's no pressure to join a church, attend religous events etc. Just as there's no brainwashing, hellfire and brimstone or spitting on Catholics through railings.

It's an important subject and I like that they're being introduced to it gradually. There's nothing abhorrent or cowardly about it.

It gives us the chance to discuss what they're taking on board. With the best intentions in the world these are discussions that I wouldn't be having on a regular basis otherwise. It's easy to think that 'when I have children there's no way they're having their heads filled with the same nonsense I got', I know I thought that way, but the reality is that one day melts into the next and before you know it you've hit another birthday.

IMO a joined up approach between home and school is the only way to keep everything on track.

The vast majority of the parents I encounter are in the same position and don't deserve to be dismissed quite so cheaply.

Well, no, I'm not, because I know the difference between a religion and a morality.

You will, everyone does.

Anyway, I wasn't looking for a scrap or to get into a Jag style one-upmanship/name calling thing with you.

I haven't labelled my children, they can decide for themselves which way they want to go (if any) when they're old enough. If by that point they can take an open-minded and respectful approach then I'll be happy, I don't believe for a minute that a nonreligious schooling background would make them any more inclined to be open-minded on the subject.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Twenty four pages.

Indoctrination is alive and kicking!

Poor show chaps <_>

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

... and some inverted commons

And he kicked the parentheses out of the temple.

YER BARD

The quality of education is the decisive factor Nacho, nothing else matters. My only requirement is that they get the best available to us, I don't regard that as a failing in the slightest.

My preference would be to get this in a secular environment, however, as we sit here today that's not possible.

We have to work within the confines of the current system so compromises are made accordingly.

I'm comfortable with the level of RE they get, it's not a Texan bible class. It doesn't bear any relation to the rote learning with my wee catechism that I was doing at the same age.

The curriculum spends time on other faiths although sadly I can confirm that Shinto didn't make the cut.

There's no pressure to join a church, attend religous events etc. Just as there's no brainwashing, hellfire and brimstone or spitting on Catholics through railings.

It's an important subject and I like that they're being introduced to it gradually. There's nothing abhorrent or cowardly about it.

It gives us the chance to discuss what they're taking on board. With the best intentions in the world these are discussions that I wouldn't be having on a regular basis otherwise. It's easy to think that 'when I have children there's no way they're having their heads filled with the same nonsense I got', I know I thought that way, but the reality is that one day melts into the next and before you know it you've hit another birthday.

IMO a joined up approach between home and school is the only way to keep everything on track.

The vast majority of the parents I encounter are in the same position and don't deserve to be dismissed quite so cheaply.

You will, everyone does.

Anyway, I wasn't looking for a scrap or to get into a Jag style one-upmanship/name calling thing with you.

I haven't labelled my children, they can decide for themselves which way they want to go (if any) when they're old enough. If by that point they can take an open-minded and respectful approach then I'll be happy, I don't believe for a minute that a nonreligious schooling background would make them any more inclined to be open-minded on the subject.

I don't think there's anything wrong with seeking the best education for your child but I've always wondered if the education you get in different schools with varying reputations is as different as you might think. I've always been of the opinion that the quality of education isn't the most important thing - it's the child and his/ her parents that are the key factors.

Put a lazy, not-so-bright, poorly behaved child with parents who don't bother into the best school and they still wont achieve anything but put a hard working, intelligent child who makes the most of the education they get and gets a lot of support from their parents into any school and they will still achieve good marks.

I don't think there's anything wrong with seeking the best education for your child but I've always wondered if the education you get in different schools with varying reputations is as different as you might think. I've always been of the opinion that the quality of education isn't the most important thing - it's the child and his/ her parents that are the key factors.

Put a lazy, not-so-bright, poorly behaved child with parents who don't bother into the best school and they still wont achieve anything but put a hard working, intelligent child who makes the most of the education they get and gets a lot of support from their parents into any school and they will still achieve good marks.

That's possibly worthy of a separate thread. Experience suggests that crap schools hold back the gifted more than excellent schools bring on the dunderheids!

YER BARD

Archived