2 Leagues Of 14? - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2 Leagues Of 14?

BishopTon

With East Stirling looking to finish bottom of Division 3 for the 6th year in a row, should they now be demoted to the Junior Ranks and should we go for 2 Leagues of 14 in a North/South Divide.

This would cut down on travelling for teams and fans and also take some of the staleness out of the game. Thus saving money for all parties. It would also means that bigger teams could bring through the youth against the smaller teams.

The top teams of the 2 Divisions could play off for Entry into the SPHell (if they want to go up ;-) )

(You may have to balance the leagues North/southness after relegation...)

I would also like to see the Scottish League employ a more realistic pricing structure, if we are not careful, football in Scotland will die off in the lower leagues as it becomes more and more expensive (St Johnstone).

Just bounce if you hate St Mirren

With East Stirling looking to finish bottom of Division 3 for the 6th year in a row, should they now be demoted to the Junior Ranks and should we go for 2 Leagues of 14 in a North/South Divide.

This would cut down on travelling for teams and fans and also take some of the staleness out of the game. Thus saving money for all parties. It would also means that bigger teams could bring through the youth against the smaller teams.

The top teams of the 2 Divisions could play off for Entry into the SPHell (if they want to go up ;-) )

I would also like to see the Scottish League employ a more realistic pricing structure, if we are not careful, football in Scotland will die off in the lower leagues as it becomes more and more expensive (St Johnstone).

far too sensible, BishopTon.

:(

How is Maxwell Avenue these days ?

:blink:

if they finish bottom this year they lose their SFL registration and if they come bottom two years after that they can be voted out by other clubs.

personally i'd be sad to see them go, im sure Super Mcinally will turn them around anyway!

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I'm not one for change for the sake of change.

I think the main problem with the Scottish set up is only one promotion spot available to the top division.

The split in the SPL is ok, not perfect, but creates a bit more drama for the mid table teams. Also, an other relegation spot would add to this drama as it would make the games after the split more important for more teams.

Added to this, if we ever managed to get another european place, the top 6 would be more competitive yet again.

I think the 3 leagues below works ok as it creates 3 trophies for teams to go for and consequently teams will be more often involved in title races and winning trophies. Obviously there will be more relegations as well, but better than finishing mid table for 30 years in a row and not winning anything.

The bottom line is that the single biggest problem with the league set up is the closed shop of an SPL which stagnates the 1st division and allows mediocre clubs to continue in the SPL rather than becoming more competitive.

I just thought with Gretna, hopefully, going away it would be the ideal opportunity for league reconstruction, i cant get excited about letting another team into the already oversized Scottish Professional leagues.

Noooo. travelling is part of the whole experiance of ''following'' a football team.

Agree with that, I would hate to see the leagues being regionalised, I really enjoyed a few of the trips to places like Forfar, makes for a good wee day out.

I do think it's time for a reconstruction though, with Gretna looking like disappearing and possibly East Stirling in a couple of years. There's too much deadwood like Elgin who are never going to do achieve more than mid-table mediocrity in the 3rd Division, we'd be better off with some sort of pyramid system so that senior football is kept competitive all across the board.

AWMSC

Noooo. travelling is part of the whole experiance of ''following'' a football team.

You would still have to travel too, but we would also gain a couple of teams within 30 miles,

Look at some of the away supports at Cappielow... even in this league. I really think we need a massive change in Scottish Football, it really is dying off.

I personally am happy with the set-up with the exception of there being no relegation zone in Division Three, and thats what I reckon there should be, none of your play-off nonsense, East Stirling really have ran out of chances IMO. A return of the second bottom SPL team playing the second placed side in Division One would be welcome.

As Bill Leckie said in his column on Monday, getting rid of the breakaway SPL organisation is a must. We aren't England and the business model has never really worked up here, its a good league, but not a great one, compared to the English equivalent which is getting better by the year. How has ours gone? Waterlogged pitches, diddy teams that have never been on solid ground in financial crisis, lets nor forget the mismanagement of Livingston a few seasons ago! The top half has been really exciting this season, the bottom, thanks to the poorer relations is a joke!

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

I agree with you there, Scottish Foootball is a dying game. I blame playstations; but I don't see how having a north/south divide as you put it, will save us.

If you dont have to travel to the other end of the country, it will cost less to go to games and maybe more people would bother to go to Dumbarton say rather than Brechin away on a wet wednesday.

The teams on the East coast like Forfar, Brechin, Arbroath, Peterhead, Montrose even down to East Fife would all benefit from always being in the same league.

Even better would be to create a bigger SPL and ideally have just 3 leagues of 12 even. Teams in Division 1 and 2 play each other twice only and dont play in December or January. This avoids most of the late call offs and gives the parks a chance. Again less games means you might try harder to get to games and we would not need Wednesday night games.

If you dont have to travel to the other end of the country, it will cost less to go to games and maybe more people would bother to go to Dumbarton say rather than Brechin away on a wet wednesday.

Yes, a wet Wednesday. but what about dry Saturday's ? Dumbarton's okay, but I don't want to go there umpteen times and miss out on trips to Brechin. Brechin is in Scotland too and part of the league as they should be.

Even better would be to create a bigger SPL

YES YES YES. I agree. Tell them to shove their all seater entry requirement right up their sh1ter though

Yes, a wet Wednesday. but what about dry Saturday's ? Dumbarton's okay, but I don't want to go there umpteen times and miss out on trips to Brechin. Brechin is in Scotland too and part of the league as they should be.

YES YES YES. I agree. Tell them to shove their all seater entry requirement right up their sh1ter though

See if they ever try and seat the whole Cowshed, will you lead a campaign against it please?

you couldnt regionalise it as you'd be in a league with teams you didnt play, as there is no way scotland has the capacity to double the ammount of leagues to 8 and try and get sponsership etc.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The teams on the East coast like Forfar, Brechin, Arbroath, Peterhead, Montrose even down to East Fife would all benefit from always being in the same league.

Even better would be to create a bigger SPL and ideally have just 3 leagues of 12 even. Teams in Division 1 and 2 play each other twice only and dont play in December or January. This avoids most of the late call offs and gives the parks a chance. Again less games means you might try harder to get to games and we would not need Wednesday night games.

I agree with the bigger SPL but not sure about your other suggestion.

If Scottish footie is indeed dying of wouldn't having the teams playing less games result in reduced income therefore speed up the process ?

Any number crunchers out there care to have a stab at an answer ?

Christianity: One woman's lie about having an affair that got seriously out of hand.

Archived