2 Leagues Of 14? - Page 2 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2 Leagues Of 14?

BishopTon

you couldnt regionalise it as you'd be in a league with teams you didnt play, as there is no way scotland has the capacity to double the ammount of leagues to 8 and try and get sponsership etc.

My brain version of Regionalise would mean if it would be SPL left alone. Just the SFL regionalised.

So we would be in with (Assuming Hamilton are promoted this year)

Ayr

Dumbarton

Stranraer

QOS

Partick

Queens Park

Airdrie

Clyde

Albion Rovers

Stirling

Cowdenbeath

East Stirling

Stenhousemuir

Hey wait an minute we could even win that league, 1 playoff with probably Dundee or St Jonhnstone who would win the other league( which has the more tricky teams ), come on guys 1 year to the SPL ;-)

Just bounce if you hate St Mirren

I agree with the bigger SPL but not sure about your other suggestion.

If Scottish footie is indeed dying of wouldn't having the teams playing less games result in reduced income therefore speed up the process ?

Any number crunchers out there care to have a stab at an answer ?

I just think we need a mind set change, some teams are just not viable , East Fife who cantered the league this season in Division 3, average attendance 650. (only 4500 have been to Stranraer all season long.)

In Division 2 only 4 teams managed over 1000 average home gate. (In our league 8 teams are above 2000.)

There are only 10 Full time teams out of 30 in the SFL. They would be the ones to in theory drop revenue as they play the players every week. However they could gain from by the fact that average attendance may increase if you decrease 2 * Wednesday night games, which have attendances

Also it has to be questioned whether Scottish Football can support even 20 Full time teams anyway.

If the SPL was either 14 or 16 that would probably be realistically enough Full time teams for a population of Scotlands size. Even in England where the "top" leagues are 92 strong which is only just 2* Scotland # of teams, teams are struggling.

Just bounce if you hate St Mirren

I'd certainly oppose such an intention, Stuart.

As would I. The shed must stay as terracing!

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I'm all for making the leagues bigger, but leagues of 14 just wouldn't work. Either play everyone twice, 26 games, too short, or some kind of f***witted spilt system which makes the league look ridiculous. It'd have to go to 16 teams to have a sensible number of fixtures.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived