Your 5 Most Memorable Derbies - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Your 5 Most Memorable Derbies

AyrshireTon

1/1/77 Mor*on 3 Saints 6 (SIX)...my 1st ever Renfrewshire derby. Mor*on were 2-0 up after about 20 minutes when their keeper and Saints Donny McDowall were sent off. Saints pulled one back before the end of the half but ran riot in the 2nd half, scoring 5 without reply including two Billy Stark penalties. Mor*on got 2 late consolations, one of which was by fat lazy bassa Ritchie

5/77 Saints 6 (SIX) Mor*on 1...the 2nd leg of the RC (yes, it was 2-legged that season) saw Saints go into the game 1-0 down from the 1st leg. We even allowed Mor*on to score 1st to take a 2-0 aggregate lead but just blew the soapdodgers away by rattling in a neat half-dozen. A crowd of 12,000 at this one!

21/2/87 Mor*on 2 Saints 3...the SC 4th round. Saints scored 1st through Paul Chalmers, Mor*on equalise and then get a s***ty penalty to take the lead. Within a minute Saints get a stonewall pen when Derek Hamilton is chopped down after a mazy run. Although Traitor Wylie saves Ferguson's pen, he is helpless in dealing with the rebound. Alex O'Hara then gifts Chalmers an nice easy 3rd with a short passback.

6/11/99 Mor*on 1 Saints 4...Andy Millen was playing for the hopeless and soapless but then we all make mistakes we can be forgiven for :) Anyway he got sent off as did Barry McLaughlin (for f***all might I add) Anyway, Mark Yardley, Barry Lavety and Sergie Baltacha had us in easy street at half time. The fat midfielder that is Harry Curran got one back before Saints scored the greatest goal ever seen at Crapplielow.

Mor*on had a corner, Main Stand side, Wee Dublin end. The ball comes over and Yardley heads clear. There is space in front of him so he runs onto his own clearance. At the edge of the centre-circle he passes to Shuggy Murray who is bombing it down the right wing, he hits the goal line and sends over a peach of a cross right onto the diving header of central defender Scott Walker who had ran 90 yards to get there. A wonder goal :lol:

7/9/02 Mor*on 2 Saints 3...Ginger git David Hopkins' first home game and he was greeted like a messiah by the Soapdodging faithful and fair enough, he orchestrated the plucky 3rd division side to a 2-0 lead at half time. Martin Cameron heads us a goal early in the 2nd half and it's game on. Simon Lappin then scores with a peach of a left foot shot after a sweet build up and so into ET we go.

Yardley had been getting the usual dog's abuse from the Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves but didn't he just shut you all up, yet again with a goal which made Ricky Villa's winner in the EFA cup final for Spurs look like a total mis***. Time and again the big man jinked and weaved and drifted past defender after defender...and defender after defender before calmly slotting it into the bottom right corner to send the Saints fans wild

BTW guys, since that first game in 77 I've been to 35 competitive games between the two sides at Crappielow and do you know how many times I've seen Saints lose? SIX

Read it and weep :lol:

I started watching Saints at the beginning of the 76/77 season. Of the 67 competitive games played between Saints and Mor*on since then the record is...

Saints wins 42, Mor*on wins 14, draws 11

Read it and weep.

1/1/77 Mor*on 3 Saints 6 (SIX)...my 1st ever Renfrewshire derby. Mor*on were 2-0 up after about 20 minutes when their keeper and Saints Donny McDowall were sent off. Saints pulled one back before the end of the half but ran riot in the 2nd half, scoring 5 without reply including two Billy Stark penalties. Mor*on got 2 late consolations, one of which was by fat lazy bassa Ritchie

2485[/snapback]

So why was the score only 3-6 then? :huh:

Damn Paisley schools - cannae even get the basics right!

AT

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Don't think it was Stuart Gray as he didn't sign on loan until Stark arrived.

McGraw was still manager & I think Mahood got one & Lilley possibly the other.

161[/snapback]

Wasn't that the game were Mahood completely miss hit a volley about 2 yards out and it lobbed straight over Money?

Lilley did get the other, pretty early in the game if I remeber right.

Kill the base, just play it LOUD

So why was the score only 3-6 then? :huh:

Damn Paisley schools - cannae even get the basics right!

AT

2588[/snapback]

Oh I didn't say you scored another twice, just had two more consolations.

The first consolation for you was Ritchie scoring to make the scoreline a wee bit less humiliating.

The 2nd consolation is that Saints didn't score again, six was enough for us that particular day B)

I started watching Saints at the beginning of the 76/77 season. Of the 67 competitive games played between Saints and Mor*on since then the record is...

Saints wins 42, Mor*on wins 14, draws 11

Read it and weep.

the midweek 2-0 game at cappielow was the first time i'd seen us beat them :D and it was the first time we'd beat them at cappielow in something like 12 years!

it was lilley who scored early on at the wee dublin end then mahood scored a complete mis*** volley from about 5 yards out which lobbed over their keeper, think it was in the last 20 minutes or so

i had a dream the night before the 5-1 game we were going to hammer them but my dad was having none of it so never took me - i still get at him for that!

Oh I didn't say you scored another twice, just had two more consolations.

The first consolation for you was Ritchie scoring to make the scoreline a wee bit less humiliating.

The 2nd consolation is that Saints didn't score again, six was enough for us that particular day B)

2716[/snapback]

The least convincing comeback ever. :P

AT

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived