Players - Who Goes, Who Stays? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Players - Who Goes, Who Stays?

EanieMeany

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is controversial and no doubt some players would knock me out for saying so but I reckon some of them deep down don't want promotion as they know they aint good enough for the 1st division and would be replaced if we got there.

I understand what you say, but it's the better players who SHOULD be ambitious for promotion, yet those are the ones who seem to lack fire as often as not.

JM's been honest, if slightly pathetic, today in citing inexperience. HE is the man who went down that road, and HE must take full responsibility, especially as in relative terms, he is the least experienced of the lot.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

I feel this MORTON team and MANAGER are all going to be here next season. That would be a good thing. Look at our season so far:

Top of the league since the first week

Scottish Cup win against Kilmarnock and should have got a result against Motherwell

Semi finalists in challange cup vs Clyde

All good teams have a blip, look at Chelsea, Barcelona, 2 of the best teams in Europe all have there problems and that is what we are currently going through. We WILL still win the league and i feel Jim McInally should get a pat on the back because he has done a great job and he has taken alot of s*** from alot of supporters and this man has a great record as Morton manager.

The players are young and maturing fast in a hard league and deserve alot of credit.

C'MON JIM McINALLY

C'MON MORTON

DIVISION 2 CHAMPS

There is plenty of evidence to validate his mistakes and over cautious approach .

The dismal draw against Ayr and Stirling at home earlier in the season getting mugged by Alloa then out thought by Stirling . Losing leads late on against Stranraer and Stirling , the smash and grab by Brechin .

Admittedly not all were JM's mistakes directly . However there has been to many highlighting the errors in team selection and substitutions to be the ravings of a lunatic fringe .

No doubt he has the backing of the players but that must be only the players he refuses to drop .

He has taken alot of flak but that is because he is not doing a good job . His league record might look impressive on paper but to have so many advantages over most of our opponents and still be in the same league , that to me is not progress .

Yes the players aren't getting any younger but they don't seem to be able to progress enough to give the me the belief that this concoction of players and manager are the right blend to take us foward .

There are 2 ways to look at JM's tenure 1 is the he has amassed a young side who like him given enough time he will eventually succeed in getting promotion .

The other is having failed on several occasions and not showing a convincing enough improvement that success has come too late to justify the patience that you believe we should show .

There's already a thread about this and as I said on that one the end of the campaign is the time to discuss this not now.

Massive over-reaction IMO. It's not too long ago we were cruising and knocking Killie out the cup, playing some great football. These players have got us here and have performed consistantly well all year. Has anybody ever stopped to think that the long season has taken its toll on a few of the guys?? A rest for a week here and there does nobody any harm and guys like Greacen, Millar, McAllistair could all do with a break - something McInally has neglected to do with them all season.

That being said, the title is still in our hands - relax.

TRUST THE DUFF

Massive over-reaction IMO. It's not too long ago we were cruising and knocking Killie out the cup, playing some great football. These players have got us here and have performed consistantly well all year. Has anybody ever stopped to think that the long season has taken its toll on a few of the guys?? A rest for a week here and there does nobody any harm and guys like Greacen, Millar, McAllistair could all do with a break - something McInally has neglected to do with them all season.

That being said, the title is still in our hands - relax.

The swing in the opinion polls is, as you say, Chris, a massive overreaction.

It sickens me to realise that half of those who are currently baying for St James' head, will be back kissing his arse if we pull away again.

What has not changed is the clear evidence of JM's naivety and inexperience, AND the sad fact that he does NOT appear to be learning from mistakes.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

He's had three acceptable performances. Nowhere near enough to warrant getting kept on for another season.

Got to disagree Salty. McLaughlin didn't have a good day yesterday - but for the overwhelming majority of the season he has played well and is very important for us.

There's no way he will be shown the door - and rightly so.

most of the squad should be changed, lets just start over and forget the past and move to higher leagues. get rid of the whole back four and bring in talent who wont screw us out of a victory. if mcgowan goes, they could use another great striker to take his position (an experienced first division player, assuming we get promoted) keep temps, linn, stevenson, weatherson, and a couple others. sell the rest to second and third division clubs where they belong.

most of the squad should be changed, lets just start over and forget the past and move to higher leagues. get rid of the whole back four and bring in talent who wont screw us out of a victory. if mcgowan goes, they could use another great striker to take his position (an experienced first division player, assuming we get promoted) keep temps, linn, stevenson, weatherson, and a couple others. sell the rest to second and third division clubs where they belong.

The fool says 'This is old so it must be good'. The greater fool says 'This is new, so it must be better'.

Common sense says 'Keep the best of the old and renew the rest'.

YER BARD

Archived