Scotland V Estonia - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scotland V Estonia

Toby

Quite looking forward to going up to Pittodrie on Wednesday, and I see the new man at the helm has now announced his first squad with some interesting choices;

Goalkeepers

Matt Gilks (Blackpool)

David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Allan McGregor (Besiktas)

Defenders

Phil Bardsley (Sunderland)

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic)

Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)

Alan Hutton (Real Mallorca)

Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Lee Wallace (The Rangers)

Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

Midfielders

Charlie Adam (Stoke City)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Chris Burke (Birmingham City)

Kris Commons (Celtic)

James Forrest (Celtic)

James McArthur (Wigan Athletic)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Matt Phillips (Blackpool)

Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)

Forwards

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)

Ross McCormack (Leeds United)

Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers)

Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)

Kenny Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps)

Steven Naismith (Everton)

Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

Some interesting inclusions- I dare say the inclusion of great servant Kenny Miller will irk a few, whilst Lee Wallace's selection would suggest that regardless of the level someone's playing at, it won't affect their chances. Long time since Chris Burke got a call up and I'd like to have seen Cammy Bell get a chance, possibly instead of Marshall but other than that, not differing too much from what was expected.

Thoughts?

For me,

- Cammy Bell should be ahead of David Marshall

- Kenny Miller has been good for Scotland but he's done

- Chris Burke hasn't actually had that good a season so far

- Lee Wallace should be nowhere near the squad whilst playing in the 3rd Div

- How many times are Maloney and Commons going to get to show they're not good enough for Scotland?

- Johnny Russell is ready for the squad and should be in it

However, it is only a friendly so no point getting too annoyed at it.

TTG JIM!!!

Hutton being there is a joke... and where is Barry Banana?

As much as I don't think Rangers players should be called up, at least Wallace actually is one of the best in that position unlike Ian f'cking Black!

TO be fair to Levein, Black had just come off the back of an excellent season for Hearts, and was only picked late in the day when just about every other midfielder had withdrawn. Good player. Bit of a c**t at times, but his selection wasn't really a big issue.

For me,

NOT sure about that. Marshall is playing well, for a big club at the top of the Championship. He's there on merit.

If there isn't a better option - and I can't think of one off the top of my head - then he should be in.

I'm not so sure about that. He's a good player, no doubt about it, but a bit inconsistent (if he wasn't someone would have snapped him up this window). David Goodwillie was touted as ready at a similar stage, but looked out of his depth when he took a step up.

For me,

- Kenny Miller has been good for Scotland but he's done

- Chris Burke hasn't actually had that good a season so far

- How many times are Maloney and Commons going to get to show they're not good enough for Scotland?

Cammy Bell should be ahead of Matt Gilks. But David Marshall is playing well at the top of the Championship, is still only 27 and will probably be playing the the Premier League next season. Surely it should be McGregor, Gilks, Bell at the moment?

Agree that Miller is done, and that it's strange that Burke finally gets a call up when his form dips. And I don't know why he has picked Wallce, fair enough if there was an injury crisis, but I don't see what's to gain right now.

But I'm not sure about Russell, and Maloney plays as well for Scotland as many others in there.

Cammy Bell should be ahead of Matt Gilks. But David Marshall is playing well at the top of the Championship, is still only 27 and will probably be playing the the Premier League next season. Surely it should be McGregor, Gilks, Bell at the moment?

Agree that Miller is done, and that it's strange that Burke finally gets a call up when his form dips. And I don't know why he has picked Wallce, fair enough if there was an injury crisis, but I don't see what's to gain right now.

But I'm not sure about Russell, and Maloney plays as well for Scotland as many others in there.

It's a good chance for Strachan to see if playing in the Div 3 has dulled him in any way. For me Wallace remains one of the best left backs in the country, and - so long as he's up to it - I'd be inclined to pick him.

To be fair to Burke, he missed out on a lot of call ups due to family issues i believe. I know that for a fact as my missus works with his mother in law and i know he had been asked not to be selected for a period. I can't comment on his form this year mind you, haven't been paying any attention to Birmingham this season.

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

To be fair to Burke, he missed out on a lot of call ups due to family issues i believe. I know that for a fact as my missus works with his mother in law and i know he had been asked not to be selected for a period. I can't comment on his form this year mind you, haven't been paying any attention to Birmingham this season.

He's been back available for selection for a couple of years now.

Why? Because he played Crap for Villa last year.

He has been doing alright at Forrest & always turns up for Scotland.

Because he's played seven club games in the last 8 months; to five internationals.

You can't pick a player that isn't a regular at club level, it isn't fair to those doing well for their club sides!

It's a good chance for Strachan to see if playing in the Div 3 has dulled him in any way. For me Wallace remains one of the best left backs in the country, and - so long as he's up to it - I'd be inclined to pick him.

Today's game at Tannadice is the first I've seen the new team playing. There's isn't one player in that team that looks any better than what they are; Third Division players. Wallace may have been good in recent seasons but there's a whole load of players who should be in front of him in the queue.

Because he's played seven club games in the last 8 months; to five internationals.

You can't pick a player that isn't a regular at club level, it isn't fair to those doing well for their club sides!

Has he played regularly in the run up to this game? Yes he has. Should he have been called up to previous squads? Probably not.

user posted image

Archived