Death - Page 4 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Death

HMS Willow

Still quite a few I think, maybe not so much in hell but more in heaven and an afterlife. Especially those of a certain age, when the curtain is getting ready to fall.

Surely though that more a case of wishful thinking and/or covering all bases, rather than genuine unwavering faith?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David Edwards
Surely though that more a case of wishful thinking and/or covering all bases, rather than genuine unwavering faith?

What I said about hope and faith. I have people close to me that have faith. How much it wavers, if at all, only they can know.

You're not forced in the slightest to believe anything in RE, almost all of the stuff taught in the curriculum is the other world religions. There is no preaching at all, and most of it is very interesting and more of a cross between history and cultural studies.

So on you reasoning, children are not forced to believe in the slightest, arithmetic, mathematics, history, geography, physics etc They get studied on the same curriculum, do the teachers explain that RE does not represent factual information compared to the other subjects which are fact based ? Not being argumentative on this as you are more recent to scholarly pursuits than me.

You're not forced in the slightest to believe anything in RE, almost all of the stuff taught in the curriculum is the other world religions. There is no preaching at all, and most of it is very interesting and more of a cross between history and cultural studies.

Maybe forced was a strong word but my point still stands, history is for history lessons is it not? R.E is for religious education in which the pupils have no choice but to go to them and learn about stuff that is not entirely proven. If students had no interest in religion, they still need to attend these classes which is being forced against there will so to speak. Anything to do with religion should be left to the church/synagogue/mosque in which those who want to learn more can go do so.

So on you reasoning, children are not forced to believe in the slightest, arithmetic, mathematics, history, geography, physics etc They get studied on the same curriculum, do the teachers explain that RE does not represent factual information compared to the other subjects which are fact based ? Not being argumentative on this as you are more recent to scholarly pursuits than me.

They teach it in an encyclopaedic way, in terms of these are the things that people believe around the world. This is fact that others believe this, but you're not being forced to believe it.

The fact that our RE teacher was a slapper, that everyone knew was getting pumped of the head of Art, made it pretty difficult for her to give us any morality bulls***!

Maybe forced was a strong word but my point still stands, history is for history lessons is it not? R.E is for religious education in which the pupils have no choice but to go to them and learn about stuff that is not entirely proven. If students had no interest in religion, they still need to attend these classes which is being forced against there will so to speak. Anything to do with religion should be left to the church/synagogue/mosque in which those who want to learn more can go do so.

You can drop RE (or at least you can in non-religious schools) at the same point as you can drop even more pointless subjects like Art, PE and Music.

I had to go to Classical studies in my first year, an even more pointless exercise. They should have spent more time on the Latin than on Roman/Greek gods, as it is the basis of a lot of European languages!

When I studied RE at school (actually it was RMPS, about a decade ago), we studied 3 modules for the Higher. Islam - in which we learned about some of the practices and beliefs of Muslims; Gender Studies - feminism for the most part (taught by a newly qualified English teacher who was out of her depth in the subject); and philosophy - which was mainly marxism (with a focus on arguments why God doesn't exist).

IMO it's a worthwhile subject which teaches pupils how to construct arguments and form educated views.

Archived