Last Match You Went To? - Page 32 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Last Match You Went To?

OH Leuven 0-0 Standard Liege, last Sunday afternoon. Dreadful game, by far the worst I've witnessed in Belgium. Two things I like about football here is that's it's generally played in a sporting manner, and you get lots of goals. Well, erm, I hope this game is just a one off! Not only was there no goals it was also very bad tempered, one incident in particular has caused a bit of a media storm here.

Started off when a OHL player (Cerigoni) got a straight red for a clumsy tackle. Was definitely a yellow but I thought a straight red was quite harsh. Judge for yourself at 02:25. One of the OHL players (Ruytinx) who thought the Standard player (Carcela) made a meal of the tackle to get the boy booked or sent off made it clear to him he'd get him back (off camera). Well, he was true to his word and broke Carcela's ankle a few minutes later with a truly horrendous tackle (see it on slow motion at 04:03)! Ruytinx only got a yellow card for it as well, and the tackle was a million times worse than Cerigoni's that got the red card - it's not only in Scotland you get inconsistent refs, ha! Anyway, despite his broken ankle, Carcela then gets up and lamps Ruytinx and gets himself a straight red! Cue all hell breaking loose, ha! Mental! You can see the whole incident from 03:23.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L0EMPeifek

Apart from that the game was s***e.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH Leuven 0-0 Standard Liege, last Sunday afternoon. Dreadful game, by far the worst I've witnessed in Belgium. Two things I like about football here is that's it's generally played in a sporting manner, and you get lots of goals. Well, erm, I hope this game is just a one off. Not only was there no goals it was also very bad tempered, one incident in particular has caused a bit of a media storm here.

Started off when a OHL player (Cerigoni) got a straight red for a clumsy tackle. Was definitely a yellow but I thought a red was harsh. Judge for yourself at 02:25. One of the OHL players (Ruytinx) who thought the Standard player (Carcela) made a meal of the tackle to get the boy booked or sent off made it clear to him he'd get him back (off camera). Well, he was true to his word and broke Carcela's ankle a few minutes later with a truly horrendous tackle (see it on slow motion at 04:03)! Ruytinx only got a yellow card for it as well, and the tackle was a million times worse than Cerigoni's that got the red card - it's not only in Scotland you get inconsistent refs, ha! Anyway, despite his broken ankle, Carcela then gets up and lamps Ruytinx and gets himself a straight red! Cue all hell breaking loose, ha! Mental! You can see the whole incident from 03:23.

Agree the first tackle looked clumsy more than anything else. Second tackle was horrendous, should have been a straight red. Don't blame the guy for whacking him, he deserved it.

What, if anything, are the Belgian FA likely to do about this? 

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

OH Leuven 0-0 Standard Liege, last Sunday afternoon. Dreadful game, by far the worst I've witnessed in Belgium. Two things I like about football here is that's it's generally played in a sporting manner, and you get lots of goals. Well, erm, I hope this game is just a one off! Not only was there no goals it was also very bad tempered, one incident in particular has caused a bit of a media storm here.

Started off when a OHL player (Cerigoni) got a straight red for a clumsy tackle. Was definitely a yellow but I thought a straight red was quite harsh. Judge for yourself at 02:25. One of the OHL players (Ruytinx) who thought the Standard player (Carcela) made a meal of the tackle to get the boy booked or sent off made it clear to him he'd get him back (off camera). Well, he was true to his word and broke Carcela's ankle a few minutes later with a truly horrendous tackle (see it on slow motion at 04:03)! Ruytinx only got a yellow card for it as well, and the tackle was a million times worse than Cerigoni's that got the red card - it's not only in Scotland you get inconsistent refs, ha! Anyway, despite his broken ankle, Carcela then gets up and lamps Ruytinx and gets himself a straight red! Cue all hell breaking loose, ha! Mental! You can see the whole incident from 03:23.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L0EMPeifek

Apart from that the game was s***e.

Oooft!!!! That was a shocking tackle on the ankle.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

Agree the first tackle looked clumsy more than anything else. Second tackle was horrendous, should have been a straight red. Don't blame the guy for whacking him, he deserved it.

What, if anything, are the Belgian FA likely to do about this? 

That's what the media storm is all about. Apparently if it had gone unpunished he could be retrospectively charged with violent conduct based on video evidence, but because he got a yellow the incident is considered to have been dealt with so that's not an option.

That's what the media storm is all about. Apparently if it had gone unpunished he could be retrospectively charged with violent conduct based on video evidence, but because he got a yellow the incident is considered to have been dealt with so that's not an option.

Same as here I believe.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

AFC Fylde 0-2 FC United of Manchester.

Worst conditions I've ever seen a game played in. Unbelievable. The FC keeper was taking goal kicks in the first half that were blowing straight back into his box.

United went 1-0 up playing against the wind in the first half before the keeper was injured and had to be replaced by the centre forward as there was no substitute keeper. Bizarrely he didn't have a save to make all game and only touched the ball twice in the second half.

Great result which keeps United in 5th but with a run of four games that are easier than the previous lot. Watch most of the game from the bar in the clubhouse. Scottish football could learn a lot from this league.  

MARTY OUT!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OH Leuven 3-0 Cercle Brugge, this afternoon. After a fairly dismal spell that saw OHL fall perilously close to the relegation zone, they earned a fairly routine and much deserved win. Bjorn Ruytinx, the 'bad boy' of Belgian football after his horrendous tackle a few weeks ago, made a hero's return with 2 goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyFUC86Rhto

Edit to add a link to a video of the 3rd goal from behind the goal, captures the atmosphere quite well I think..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=559756677438796&set=vb.126695220744946&type=2&theater

Buxton 0 - 2 FCUM.

Probably the best away day of all. Buxton is a beautiful market town well worth visiting. Loads of really brilliant pubs and only an hour from Piccadilly.

United played against a pretty hefty wind in the first half and it frustrated any attempts to play football on the ground.  

Second half was totally different and two quick goals ended any chance of a Buxton win. Should have been more but for some good defending and a 40 something goalkeeper.

Decent 'official' crowd of 1200 despite most of the people we were with paying through a "there's a huge queue, would you like to pay the exact cash through this hole in the wall'. More like 1500 I would have said.

Anyway, if you get the chance, go to Buxton.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

Guest David Edwards

Buxton 0 - 2 FCUM.

Probably the best away day of all. Buxton is a beautiful market town well worth visiting. Loads of really brilliant pubs and only an hour from Piccadilly.

United played against a pretty hefty wind in the first half and it frustrated any attempts to play football on the ground.  

Second half was totally different and two quick goals ended any chance of a Buxton win. Should have been more but for some good defending and a 40 something goalkeeper.

Decent 'official' crowd of 1200 despite most of the people we were with paying through a "there's a huge queue, would you like to pay the exact cash through this hole in the wall'. More like 1500 I would have said.

Anyway, if you get the chance, go to Buxton.

Did you take the waters? :D

I've been to Buxton a good few times (my brother lives just up the road in Marple) and as you say it's a very charming old spa town.

• 4 weeks later...

OH Leuven 1-0 Zulte Waregem.

Recent poor form combined with the teams below them all picking up points saw OHL slip to 2nd bottom of the league, resulting in their manager Ronny van Geneugden receiving his jotters during the week. Thought it was a bit premature myself, he'd taken OHL from a mid-table 2nd division team playing in front of 2,000 to where they are now, established in the 1st division and playing in front of sell out 9.500 crowds most games. Albeit they have not had a good season so far, the arse end of the league is very tight and a couple of wins would see them shoot up the league. So anyway, it's kinda the end of an era for the club, I was sorry to see him go.

A win against Zulte Waregem was vital to stop the rot, but they started the game in 4th position so OHL were certainly up against it. Turned out a very decent game played in atrocious conditions. Backed by their usual big and vocal support however they deservedly grabbed the vital goal that proved to be the winner midway through the 2nd half.

They're still far from out of the woods, they're 3rd bottom with 22 pts from 23 games, but hopefully it's a result they can build on. They really have to improve their away form however, which is absolutely dreadful (only 2 pts from 11 games). 

Here's the goal....

Edit to add another video.... OHL fans really do get right behind their team for the whole 90 mins, even when they're losing or not playing well. 'Happy Clappers' I think they'd be referred to by some on here. :) They're not a great team by any means, but they have a decent home record (20 pts from 12 games) due I think in large part to the lift the crowd gives the team. Anyway here's the reception they got leaving the field at half time when the score was still 0-0.... they've taken Happy Clapping to a whole new level, ha!

Archived