*careful, or I'll close down the Internet* - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

*careful, or I'll close down the Internet*

Toby

Is it about time this board allowed us to use his name?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts please..........

• Yes
    • No

I don't disagree Colin. The man was an arse. I just think it's time to stop all the wound licking and move on.

Perhaps, but there was some people very closely involved in the proceedings at the time mate. The wounds they have, still hurt. I can understand their point of view as well.

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father who has now been involved with Morton for over 30 years and had to deal with HS directly has always said he has never met anyone quite like him!!!!

A horrible horrible man with no scruples whatsoever who managed to turn every single employee and volunteer at Cappielow against him.

Like everything the bad memories fade and people forget just how bad things got.

The words "Greenock Morton" were dirt in board rooms all across Scotland by the end of his tenure.

Night and day between then and now.

I said Scott was a businessman, I didn't say he was a good businessman.

I think the tenure of HS should be put into some perspective for our younger viewers. Scott was heralded as a 'saviour' by most of the Morton support when he arrived, anyone tells you different is a liar. I clearly remember a game at Dunfermline when Scott sat with the fans and there were universal chants of 'there's only one Hugh Scott'.

Not having the memory of an elephant I can't remember the season but St Mirren were struggling towards the end and were in danger of going down (1997 or 98???). Scott did his usual walkabout at a game at Cliftonhill and one "Morton diehard" (name protected due to the fact that he's probably kick my head in and I'm not up for scarring) was so far up Scott's arse he could lick the back of his teeth. He eventually says to the great man 'would be great if the Midden went down eh?' and HS snaps back 'if they go down it costs us £50,000 a year'.....'hmmmm, smart guy' thinks I. Obviously I was wrong.

Anyhoo, we all know how the story ends but it was a tale with twists and turns and some people really embarrassed themselves along the way. Don't let anyone ever tell you HS was sussed out from the start.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

I think we should move on here. It's not like the Holocaust or anything where if we 'forget' then it may happen again.

Davie, of course Hugh Scotts time at Cappielow isn't like the Holocaust but unfortunately there is every possibility that if we forget then it could happen again. Despite all the dodgy characters that have been involved in Scottish football (Scott at Cappielow, Archibald at Airdrie, Reg Brealey sniffing around St. Mirren, the guy that ran Hamilton at a loss and sold that loss off to the highest bidders to deduct from their tax, etc, etc) the SFA still has no 'fit and proper person' test for people who buy and run football clubs. They are not interested. Like many other Ton fans I contacted the SFA many times during the Scott era and on each occasion I was told that "We don't get involved in the internal affairs of a member club". The sad fact is that if someone wants to buy a provincial club in order to make cash by dismantling that club, nobody is going to stop them - the SFA isn't interested, the media isn't interested, and (if the club survives) the legal system isn't interested. It's up the supporters to be on their guard - no one else cares - and that's why (like them or not) it is (was?) good to have a representative of GMST on the board at Cappielow.

That's what makes all the recent hysteria about the current chairman so laughable. For all of his faults, Douglas Rae is a Morton supporter and the clubs existence is guaranteed while he is chairman. Some fans may disagree with aspects of his management style, or the "direction" he's taking the club in, but let's be realistic - the worst thing that can happen to Morton this season is that they get relegated to the second division. If that happens there's always next season. That's not something that you could say if we had another Hugh Scott.

Ring the bells that still can ring

Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack in everything

that's how the light gets in

www.gmst.org.uk - Have a say in your local club.

Davie, of course Hugh Scotts time at Cappielow isn't like the Holocaust but unfortunately there is every possibility that if we forget then it could happen again. Despite all the dodgy characters that have been involved in Scottish football (Scott at Cappielow, Archibald at Airdrie, Reg Brealey sniffing around St. Mirren, the guy that ran Hamilton at a loss and sold that loss off to the highest bidders to deduct from their tax, etc, etc) the SFA still has no 'fit and proper person' test for people who buy and run football clubs. They are not interested. Like many other Ton fans I contacted the SFA many times during the Scott era and on each occasion I was told that "We don't get involved in the internal affairs of a member club". The sad fact is that if someone wants to buy a provincial club in order to make cash by dismantling that club, nobody is going to stop them - the SFA isn't interested, the media isn't interested, and (if the club survives) the legal system isn't interested. It's up the supporters to be on their guard - no one else cares - and that's why (like them or not) it is (was?) good to have a representative of GMST on the board at Cappielow.

That's what makes all the recent hysteria about the current chairman so laughable. For all of his faults, Douglas Rae is a Morton supporter and the clubs existence is guaranteed while he is chairman. Some fans may disagree with aspects of his management style, or the "direction" he's taking the club in, but let's be realistic - the worst thing that can happen to Morton this season is that they get relegated to the second division. If that happens there's always next season. That's not something that you could say if we had another Hugh Scott.

Totally agree about the'fair and proper person' test but the FA in have one and they still end up with dodgy Russians and former Thai PMs with less than favourable human rights records. I also agree about Douglas Rae, a man I've met a couple of times and really disliked but ultimately a fan with honest intentions for the club in the long run.

The problem is that men (it's usually men) who buy football clubs fall into two catagories: local boy made good, a wee bit dodgy but that's all right and ruthless international tycoons. Given that most fans are lacking in brains they want succes and they want it now. If A. Hitler made noises about buying Morton and bankrolling us to the Champions League the majority of fans would bite your hand off of that I have no doubt so ultimately football teams get the owners they deserve.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

I may be wrong, but did they not conduct one of these tests on Jim McLean after he lamped John Barnes? I'm sure I remember being particularly pissed off that they'd do this on a guy that had been involved in the games for the best part of 40 years yet weren't interested in hearing our concerns about Hugh Scott.

I think the tenure of HS should be put into some perspective for our younger viewers. Scott was heralded as a 'saviour' by most of the Morton support when he arrived, anyone tells you different is a liar. I clearly remember a game at Dunfermline when Scott sat with the fans and there were universal chants of 'there's only one Hugh Scott'.

Not having the memory of an elephant I can't remember the season but St Mirren were struggling towards the end and were in danger of going down (1997 or 98???). Scott did his usual walkabout at a game at Cliftonhill and one "Morton diehard" (name protected due to the fact that he's probably kick my head in and I'm not up for scarring) was so far up Scott's arse he could lick the back of his teeth. He eventually says to the great man 'would be great if the Midden went down eh?' and HS snaps back 'if they go down it costs us £50,000 a year'.....'hmmmm, smart guy' thinks I. Obviously I was wrong.

Anyhoo, we all know how the story ends but it was a tale with twists and turns and some people really embarrassed themselves along the way. Don't let anyone ever tell you HS was sussed out from the start.

Scott walked into the away end at East End Park in 1999 after leaving the main stand lounge in a strop over how many of his large family could get in.

He had just sold Kevin Thomas and had backstabbed Billy Stark by accusing him of being responsible for the loss of Thomas.

When he walked up the stairs the only song that went up was 'Hugh Scott, you're a w*nker'. Ray Von on here will back that up, I think he started it! Scott even sneered a sarcastic 'thank-you, thank-you' as he took his seat, dressed like the man from Del Monte with his white suit and brogues.

I'm not sure that you're entirely correct. Scott took control during the summer of 1997, the first time I saw anything anti-Scott (I can't remember if there were actual leaflets or if it was just a print from Andy M's site) was only the 20th September 1997, away to Partick (just 12 games into Scott's reign of terror) - Just after Scott's hissy fit over the small attendance over the small attendance of the Challenge Cup semi final a few days previous, when he threatened to close the club or go part time or merge with St Mirren or something...Maybe not right from the start, but some people were onto him pretty damn quickly (not me I hasten to add!).

As for the time he sat with the fans at Dunfermilne (in his "Man from Del-Monte" suit) - that wasn't until 21st September 1999, I couldn't beleive his brass neck - if there was anyone singing "Only One Hugh Scott" it was nowhere near universal.

Thanks to Soccerbase for dates!

Edit to add - I hadn't seen Savo's post when I started typing!

When he walked up the stairs the only song that went up was 'Hugh Scott, you're a w*nker'. Ray Von on here will back that up, I think he started it! Scott even sneered a sarcastic 'thank-you, thank-you' as he took his seat, dressed like the man from Del Monte with his white suit and brogues.

:lol: :lol:

We've found the reason why Davie McArthur has found some sympathy with the Loony-eared one, they share the same tailor.

*insert signature here*

I'm not sure that you're entirely correct. Scott took control during the summer of 1997, the first time I saw anything anti-Scott (I can't remember if there were actual leaflets or if it was just a print from Andy M's site) was only the 20th September 1997, away to Partick (just 12 games into Scott's reign of terror) - Just after Scott's hissy fit over the small attendance over the small attendance of the Challenge Cup semi final a few days previous, when he threatened to close the club or go part time or merge with St Mirren or something...Maybe not right from the start, but some people were onto him pretty damn quickly (not me I hasten to add!).

As for the time he sat with the fans at Dunfermilne (in his "Man from Del-Monte" suit) - that wasn't until 21st September 1999, I couldn't beleive his brass neck - if there was anyone singing "Only One Hugh Scott" it was nowhere near universal.

Thanks to Soccerbase for dates!

Edit to add - I hadn't seen Savo's post when I started typing!

I vaguely remember when Scott had taken over from Wilson and he seemed to be making all the right noises about all seater stadia, taking the club to "a new level", signing "Scotland Internationals" etc. and i felt optimistic for the future. I wasn't regular at Cappielow back then so I wasn't guilty of chanting his name in support.

I also remember from around the same time Morton signed Harry Curran from Dunfermline who was subject to racial abuse accusations involving Dave Barrett.

*insert signature here*

a friend of mine told me that scott would take the club to the edge and we would be lucky if

he didnt push us off. my pal knew of him thru insurance work and thought him a right cvnt

he told me that the day scott took charge.

a friend of mine told me that scott would take the club to the edge and we would be lucky if

he didnt push us off. my pal knew of him thru insurance work and thought him a right cvnt

he told me that the day scott took charge.

And now you tell us

Billy's bubble bursts north of the border

From the Northern Echo, first published Saturday 4th Nov 2000.

THANKS to our man at Herriot-Watt University, a cutting from The Scotsman arrives concerning an unscheduled post-match press conference at Cappielow Park, Greenock.

Morton had lost 4-0 to Falkirk and had two players sent off. It wasn't to separate referee from fans than a phalanx of police was formed, however, but to keep one of his own players off Morton chairman Mike Peden.

Remember Mike Peden? He was Darlington's chief executive until May 1999, the man at the helm when the club ran up debts of £5m

So the abrasive Mr Peden is to be in today's column. So is former Quakers general manager Steve Morgon and Billy Bubbles - who could forget Billy Bubbles? - whose time on the Feethams stage was fleeting, nonetheless..

Master Bubbles has now blown into Morton, too. "It's a bizarre and very complex situation here," says Roger Graham, sports editor of the Greenock Telegraph. They used to say much the same at Darlington.

The Morton media, at any rate, were awaiting the usual post-match platitudes when midfielder Andy Brownrigg pushed forward and demanded Peden appear on camera.

Brownrigg, signed from Kidderminster Harriers in August, claimed not to have been paid for eight weeks. "I've not done anything wrong and my life has been made hell," he told the press pack.

"My wife has walked out on me and I have final demands for bills I cannot pay."

Mr Brownrigg, not entirely surprisingly, is no longer at the club. Matt Boswell, a goalkeeper who had been training with Sunderland, has also withdrawn his services from Morton amid claims of non-payment.

"Peden's troubled reign at Coppielow just seems to go from bad to worse," observed The Scotsman.

He arrived as Darlington's chief executive in 1997, proclaiming his intention to buy the club - though accounts a year later showed the owner still to be the Guernsey based St Philip's Trust, run by the ubiquitous Reg Brealey.

When Peden left the club was probably days from receivership, saved by new chairman George Reynolds's decision to meet all debts.

This summer Peden re-appeared at Greenock, a former shipbuilding town on the Clyde, and again talked of buying its football club. The owner, however, remains Hugh Scott - a gentleman of reputedly equal charisma.

Steve Morgon, apparently by coincidence, was briefly Morton's chief executive under Scott, an associate of Brealey.

"I wouldn't like to call myself a hatchet man, a friendly butcher would be a more pleasant expression," Morgon once said of his time at Feethams.

Allan Evans, brought in as manager by Peden, was the Quakers' assistant manager under Brian Little. The club is third bottom of the Scottish first division; the takeover hasn't been completed.

"We know his history and are in very close contact with people at Darlington," says Andy Morrison, co-editor of the Coppielow Bugle fanzine.

"We don't know why they are doing it. It's obvious there's no money in football at this level and Coppielow has been allowed to become an absolute disgrace under Scott.

"We're just worried that Peden will leave us in the same mess that Darlington got into. After 126 years of football here, our worry is that we'll go into liquidation."

Andy also refers us to their website. "It'll take two days to read, but start at the 'Rumours' page first."

Part of Peden's game plan, apparently, is the development of something called Soccerama - at Darlington there was Soccerdome - and the re-launch of Billy Bubbles.

"The way they talk, he'll be bigger than the Tellytubbies," says Andy.

BILLY BUBBLES !!! NORTHER ECHO 4 NOVEMBER 2000

At Darlington, however, the bubble quickly burst. Launched at the Worthington Cup tie against Manchester City in December 1998 - a club spokesman had promised a major new signing - his outfit was filled by comedian Sean Flynn, for a fee of £258.

Until Flynn found it no laughing matter and went to the press, the club refused to pay him on the grounds that his bubbles were too small.

Danny Goodwin, who only blows the Coppielow Bugle, is equally anxious about Morton's plight.

"At the moment it appears that Peden can't raise the finance to buy out Scott; it seems a similar situation to Darlington and all we hear about is Billy Bubbles and everything he's going to be involved in."

The mascot's outfit was for a time consigned to a Feethams stock cupboard. Now, however, he has re-emerged - same rig-out - as the Quaker Kid.

"He runs around with Mr Q," says Darlington director Luke Raine. "He's bringing us a bit more luck than Billy Bubbles ever did."

And now you tell us

very good son but as he was known as a tosser in the business world already,and didnt become the ogre over night why was he allowed to get his hands on the club in the first place there must have been some idea in the boardroom at that time as to the kind of person he was.also i would think most people in business in the greenock area would of had some idea as to his character so GHOUL [singular of ghoulies] it was not just me who has been a bit tardy in passing on this info

very good son but as he was known as a tosser in the business world already,and didnt become the ogre over night why was he allowed to get his hands on the club in the first place there must have been some idea in the boardroom at that time as to the kind of person he was.also i would think most people in business in the greenock area would of had some idea as to his character so GHOUL [singular of ghoulies] it was not just me who has been a bit tardy in passing on this info

Ach ffs calm down, i was being sarcastic 888, jeeso :rolleyes:

I can categorically deny that I share a tailor with Hugh Scott!!

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Fact remains that many ‘high profile’ Morton fans were up Scott’s backside, including many so-called ‘dissidents’.

Scott’s reign was a disaster no doubt but there’s nothing like being honest with yourself.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

ghost please consider me calmed sorry

No worries 888, i'm sure loads of folk were concerned back then, maybe wanted to see what the guy was going to bring to Morton, unfortunately only alot of hatred at the end of the day though

Good thread this. I hope everyone takes the time to read through all the posts. There might be some disagreement about who said what and when but the main point to take from this must be how vulnerable MOST clubs are to the kind of ego maniacs you can read about here. The Rae family will undoubtedly have healthy egos themselves but they are Greenock men born and bred so at least they can claim the same connection to the club as the fans. Whilst a few on here have been critical of DDR I think it's fair to say he has been around long enough to show where his heart lies. We must be careful what we wish for regarding DDR. We might get our wishes and in will walk the latest version of * careful, I'll close down the internet *

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand

our banking and monetary system, for if they did,

I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

Henry Ford

Archived