Weatherson - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Weatherson

irnbru

He's having a great season and is integral to the recent success of the 4-3-3 system. Great to have the option of MacDonald on the bench and Archie still to return.

Keep up the good form Peter, he's also now just one goal shy of Rowan Alexander's goals total. If (/when) PW surpasses Rowan's total, he will be second in the all time scorer list to the great Andy Ritchie.

All time scorer list

He's four behind him in the league, which is the stat which is more important as scoring x amount against pub teams in the cup boosts every striker's stats.

Yesterday he overtook Alexander for league appearances.

Need to get those stats checked out I think - there's no Allan McGraw on it - and I always thought that Ritchie had scored 100 goals in 213 appearances, not 136 - I think Allan McGraw scored 117 - which is borne out by McGraw's, Ritchie's and indeed the Greenock Morton WIki page - all of which could be incorrect as well - be good to know the real numbers.

Not taking anything away from Peter's contributions over the years, just be good to have the definitive numbers.

Ritchie scored 100 LEAGUE goals in 213 games.

Thought he was poor yesterday but to be fair he didn't get much service. He did score a goal which is his main job though.

Scoring is in the job spec certainly but its not his main job in the present set up. His main job is to hold the ball up and bring the midfield and wide players into the game. As far as I can see, he has been doing that job very, very effectively this season and we are top scorers in the league. Sure the lone striker in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 is expected to score some goals but his main job is to bring others into play.

The Dunfermline number 5 gave Weatherson a hard game today but he still put in a shift.

Scoring is in the job spec certainly but its not his main job in the present set up. His main job is to hold the ball up and bring the midfield and wide players into the game. As far as I can see, he has been doing that job very, very effectively this season and we are top scorers in the league. Sure the lone striker in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 is expected to score some goals but his main job is to bring others into play.

The Dunfermline number 5 gave Weatherson a hard game today but he still put in a shift.

No disagreement and I thought Weatherson put in a good shift for us. But horses for courses. Take a look at our 4th goal on youtube and see how their number 5 backed off Peaso when he ran at them. The great thing is the number of attacking options we have at present. Even better when Archie is available for the ball behind the defence. Switch personnel with different styles and any defence is in trouble.

They're all jealous because I conquered my paranoia

No disagreement and I thought Weatherson put in a good shift for us. But horses for courses. Take a look at our 4th goal on youtube and see how their number 5 backed off Peaso when he ran at them. The great thing is the number of attacking options we have at present. Even better when Archie is available for the ball behind the defence. Switch personnel with different styles and any defence is in trouble.

I agree Peaso's input for the fourth goal was sublime but it was about the only thing he did. He got even less change from Dunfermline's defence than Peter and it was no coincidence that to some degree we lost our shape and a goal after Peter went off. We had no out ball.

That's not a criticism of Peaso because he is a good player but he is just back and he is still less effective as a hold up player than Peter. He could play that role before but he has not shown it yet!

Archived