Dryborough Cup - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dryborough Cup

AyrshireTon

I have found record of a competition with this name being played in the 70s and early 80s.

I can only find one season in which we took part - a QF win over Albion Rovers, then a SF defeat by Aberdeen in Summer 1980 (both games were at Scapa and both ended 4-2).

Google searches only seem to concern Davie Cooper's famous goal v c*lt*c at Hampden.

WTF was this trophy all about?

Did we only take part once?

AT

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

If memory serves it was an invitation tournament played in the early stages of the season for the highest scoring teams in each division (previous season) maybe 8 teams in total. Started early 70's & died out towards the end of the decade (Ooops I see it made it into the 80's). I guess it was an idea to reward attacking teams.

Ran alongside the Watney Cup in England!

Just Visiting.

Cheers for that - looks like we were only invited the season after we briefly topped the Premier League.

AT

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Cheers for that - looks like we were only invited the season after we briefly topped the Premier League.

AT

36469[/snapback]

Bobby Thompson was sent off against Aberdeen for howking big Doug Rougvie up the ass for going in hard on Roy Baines , rougvie was treated , then sent off as well.

SNP - STRONGER FOR SCOTLAND

Bobby Thompson was sent off against Aberdeen for howking big Doug Rougvie up the ass for going in hard on Roy Baines , rougvie was treated , then sent off as well.

36612[/snapback]

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You can't beat those pre-season frendlies, can you? biggrin.gif

AT

Archived