Hibs Vs Morton - Page 19 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hibs Vs Morton

In Germany I've noticed that relatively few pubs offer dozens and dozens of beers, most of which are just lagers. Instead they'll offer a local brewery lager/pilsner, maybe another seasonal style or two, and a couple of national brands. This local beer, being fresh and probably delivered near-daily, is of excellent quality. UK pubs generally sell around a million different lagers, a few guest ales, a stout, and if you're very lucky a wheat beer. The one thing I'll say for craft brewers is that, in the US at least, they experiment a lot with styles so there's something to match the season or weather or food.

That said, some of what goes on takes the piss. A perfectly ordinary beer pub a few minutes from me sells pints of Deep Ellum IPA (brewed a couple of miles away - no import costs to speak of) for $8. That's a shocking price even for a 7.5% beer. It's that more than anything that makes craft beer a bit of a snob's game, I think. A pint of Miller Lite* runs you less than half that in a lot of places.

*in the US the most popular beers are light beers. I don't think that's true anywhere else in the world. Maybe Canada?

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived