Football Years - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Football Years

Got to say, I fair enjoyed the series on STV.

Particularly, the 79-80 episode even though no mention of the Ton being top of the league.

Enjoyed last weeks episode covering 1970-72. Ibrox disaster to Cup Winners Cup Win. As someone born in 1975, the early 70s is a period the intrigues me.

Thursday's episode was great in that it focussed on Spain 82 but set up the backdrop of 78 well. This was the first World Cup I remember watching so found it a real treat.

I hope they make another series.

If they do what seasons should be included?

I will start off with 1982-83. The first full season I followed and with Dundee Utd winning the league an Aberdeen's Euro escapades.

Got to say, I fair enjoyed the series on STV.

Particularly, the 79-80 episode even though no mention of the Ton being top of the league.

Enjoyed last weeks episode covering 1970-72. Ibrox disaster to Cup Winners Cup Win. As someone born in 1975, the early 70s is a period the intrigues me.

Thursday's episode was great in that it focussed on Spain 82 but set up the backdrop of 78 well. This was the first World Cup I remember watching so found it a real treat.

I hope they make another series.

If they do what seasons should be included?

I will start off with 1982-83. The first full season I followed and with Dundee Utd winning the league an Aberdeen's Euro escapades.

I managed to miss most of the programmes but I haven't heard anybody with a bad word to say about them so fair play to STV. They took a fair caning (deservedly so) for trite pish like the Greatest Scot. etc so credit where it's due etc.

I saw the Ibrox disaster one and thought the interviews on it were quite moving. As were the scenes of Jock Stein helping to carry bodies down to the track and then the Rangers team at the mass which was held.

It's only things like that and Smith, McCoist and Murray going to Parkhead to lay flowers the day after Tommy Burns died and being quietly applauded which make you realise how senseless all the grubby stuff that surrounds the OF is.

I heard they had already organised another series because it was so popular. I don't know if they've already included programmes on likes of Hibs Famous 5, the Hearts war hero side, or the famous European exploits of the Dundee team of decades past or Dundee Utd's run to the UEFA final in the mid 80s, but those and the Aberdeen one you mention would all make decent viewing.

I reckon it would need to be post 1957 or whenever STV started, for coverage.

That would suggest Dundee early 60s, Killie early 60s.

Personally would love to see the Hibs Famous Five team covered. As you know, I grow up with Hibs my local team and the first non picture book I read was a history of Hibs by John McKay..... a cracking read by the way. The thing was, Hibs had this reknowned forward line Smith, Turnbull, Reilly, johnstsone and Ormond. Rangers had the Iron Curtain defensive 5. Shaw, Woodburn, Young Thornton and ...emm... plus Brown as their keeper. They never tried putting the two together!

An episode of late 50s would be good though. You read Gary Imlach's book "My father and other working class heroes"? Puts football stars of then into context. Laurie Reilly, Hibs and Scotland's centre forward, scored in the Cowan Wembley game, needed to work another job how poorly pros were paid then.

Have to agree it was a great series. Loved the last one too as that was the 1st World Cup I can remember. Brought back great memories of me and the old man jumping about the living room when Neary's goal hit the back of the net.

Years I would like to see covered would be the years preceding the Mexico World cup to take in Jock Stein's tragic death and Jambos last day capitulation.

The 83-84 season would be good too with Utd getting to semi of European cup and just missing out on an all British final with Liverpool. I'm pretty sure Aberdeen got to semi's and knocked out by Porto of Cup winners cup in defence of their title.

1989 Bazooka?? U16s World Cup Final......

Your dad was jumping about that day and it was not with joy!! My fault I seem to remember..!

Ha Ha aye he was. You must have been in a world of your own and wondered off into the abyss. We turned round and you were nowhere to be seen. He was s******g himself on how best to break the news to your mum 'Er I lost your boy, but don't worry he will turn up' :lol:

Just finished watching the Spain 82 one. What a great series this was. Agree with all the comments above, would love another series.

Maybe one of the France games from the last Euro qualifiers? I'd also maybe think they would do one on the Vogts years.

Was disappointed the clip of the 79 league that had us in it and no mention, but ah well!

I reckon it would need to be post 1957 or whenever STV started, for coverage.

That would suggest Dundee early 60s, Killie early 60s.

Personally would love to see the Hibs Famous Five team covered. As you know, I grow up with Hibs my local team and the first non picture book I read was a history of Hibs by John McKay..... a cracking read by the way. The thing was, Hibs had this reknowned forward line Smith, Turnbull, Reilly, johnstsone and Ormond. Rangers had the Iron Curtain defensive 5. Shaw, Woodburn, Young Thornton and ...emm... plus Brown as their keeper. They never tried putting the two together!

An episode of late 50s would be good though. You read Gary Imlach's book "My father and other working class heroes"? Puts football stars of then into context. Laurie Reilly, Hibs and Scotland's centre forward, scored in the Cowan Wembley game, needed to work another job how poorly pros were paid then.

The series certainly seems to have captured everyone's imagination, I see they are taking suggestions for the next run and Michael Grant put a few possibles up in his Herald column today.

Haven't seen Imlach's book yet el g, although I have heard it is very good. Someone posted on here before praising it. Will need to pick up a copy.

I watched all the programmes and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed them. Was disappointed that the Ton were not mentioned in the 1979 programme.

Would love a new series. There must be mountains of archive Scotsport footage to go through for these programmes to be made. That would be a great job.

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

If they make a second season then I would like to see..

1985-86 Hearts Blowing it, Television Dispute, . Jock Stein dying.

1976-77 wembley invasion!! Home Championship Winners.

1964-65 Kilmarnock Win title on Final day.

1974 World Cup!!

JB.

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

1985-86 Hearts Blowing it, Television Dispute, . Jock Stein dying.

1976-77 wembley invasion!! Home Championship Winners.

1964-65 Kilmarnock Win title on Final day.

1974 World Cup!!

JB.

Is this series on the internet anywhere? I only saw last weeks in a hotel room and got right into it. I tend to miss the paisley telly channels :ph34r:

pen.jpg

Archived