Britons Detained In South America - Page 7 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Britons Detained In South America

leyTON

How many EU countries let prisoners vote?

Well Ireland for one.

Other European countries where prisoners are allowed to vote include Germany, France, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Serbia, and Sweden.

As it stands a lot of existing prisoners in the UK are entitled to vote anyway. And based on a whole pile of constitutional challenges I'd expect the UK to fall into line pretty soon as well.

Prisoners can also vote in Canada and in most States of the USA, as well as Australia, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Peru and Zimbabwe.

And a whole host of others. Not sure about the rest of the EU and can't be arsed checking.

What was the point ?

TonInDublin

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Ireland for one.

Other European countries where prisoners are allowed to vote include Germany, France, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Serbia, and Sweden.

As it stands a lot of existing prisoners in the UK are entitled to vote anyway. And based on a whole pile of constitutional challenges I'd expect the UK to fall into line pretty soon as well.

Prisoners can also vote in Canada and in most States of the USA, as well as Australia, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Peru and Zimbabwe.

And a whole host of others. Not sure about the rest of the EU and can't be arsed checking.

What was the point ?

TonInDublin

If one is doing time in Oz and serving a sentence of three years or longer, one is not entitled to vote.

;)

If one is doing time in Oz and serving a sentence of three years or longer, one is not entitled to vote.

;)

So I was right then, prisoners in Australia CAN vote.

TonInDublin

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

So I was right then, prisoners in Australia CAN vote.

TonInDublin

Yep - some can and some cannot.

3 years seems rather arbitrary.

:huh:

Clearly Irish convicts did not get to vote when they were transported "for the term of their natural life."

• 8 months later...

it came up on my facebook that a dozen or so of my friends are now friends with one of the gents in question, so dont know if they havebeen moved orwhat have you, south american jails by the descriptions iv heard dont accomodate blackberries

We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

it came up on my facebook that a dozen or so of my friends are now friends with one of the gents in question, so dont know if they havebeen moved orwhat have you, south american jails by the descriptions iv heard dont accomodate blackberries

I thought they were in the Dominican Republic? Where's that in South America?

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

i believe the dominican is part of north america if been counted on a purely continental basis as central america and adjacent islands are part of neither

I know hence the Tongue in cheek question. I'm not called Rasta Ton for nothing.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

Archived