125th Anniversary Top - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

125th Anniversary Top

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I put the second of those tops on the oldfootballshirts.com website after winning it at the Gourock Morton Supporters / Supporters' Trust auction. It has a number 9 on the back and the SFL patches I always meant to ask if any if you or Sean knew who wore it and when?

Is the number on the top black or white?

The red pin stripe Pony top was actually QPR's strip which was amended with a Morton badge in the middle of the shirt if I remember rightly. Don't think they were ever officially launched as a replica strip.

QPR have never had a strip manufactured by Pony.

I can't help but think Ive saw that before but just cannot remember where and when. I also have a vague memory of some (very small number not them all) of the Morton replica pony tops (I think) having a very thin red pin stripe through it (top of the white under the blue), again I could be wrong but can't seem to shake it.

The red pin stripe Pony top was actually QPR's strip which was amended with a Morton badge in the middle of the shirt if I remember rightly. Don't think they were ever officially launched as a replica strip.

Both correct. It wasn't brought out. I think it was worn around the time Alex O'Hara was playing for us. Was a great top. I had the QPR version with Guinness as the sponser.

If you have a problem with me, text me. If you dont have my number then you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

I was in and about the Club regularly around that time, I was shown it and told it was a prototype and was likely to be the next home top.

However it never materialised and the nearest thing we got to it was the hoops with a black trim between the blue and white.

This is the only pic I could find

Make you wonder who the seller is then. :unsure:

*careful, or I'll close down the Internet*?

"More and more people, no matter their political persuasion, are now seeing this for what it is; not a YES vote for SNP led nationalism but simply a YES vote for self-determination and the best way forward for a nation, increasingly ignored and disadvantaged by a London biased Government "

http://nationalcollective.com/

Guest midTONs
Make you wonder who the seller is then. :unsure:

*careful, or I'll close down the Internet*?

If I was selling that top I would be annoyed with that comment as I'm sure it could put off potential bidders, I believe the lad selling this top lives in Nottingham and is a Notts County fan, I've shared a few emails with the lad and he comes across as a genuine lad whom I believe was honest with his responses to me.

I believe he registered on this site last night but was having a few problems posting so we might yet here from him in this thread.

If I was selling that top I would be annoyed with that comment as I'm sure it could put off potential bidders, I believe the lad selling this top lives in Nottingham and is a Notts County fan, I've shared a few emails with the lad and he comes across as a genuine lad whom I believe was honest with his responses to me.

I believe he registered on this site last night but was having a few problems posting so we might yet here from him in this thread.

Just in case this is the problem.

http://www.greenockmorton.org/forum/index....showtopic=23995

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Guest midTONs

The QPR top you are thinking of was made by Adidas and had thicker red pin stripes at the top and bottom of the white hoop, the one that sticks in my mins was a really thin red pinstripe at the top of the white hoop, I'm almost positive it was a Morton top and there was only so many of them made.

I also recall seeing retro Morton tops back in the late 70s early 80s from the same year with thick hoops and others with thinner hoops.

Hello guys!

I'm the seller of the shirt and am pretty disappointed that some people on this forum are willing to think i'd bid up my own auction. I'm a 100% genuine seller and have over 1000+ positive feedbacks.

About the shirt, I picked it up probably around the year 2000 from a sports shop in Nottingham. I also bought the Dunfermline shirt i also have on Ebay just because they were both made by Avec who at the time made my teams kit (Notts County) and thought they would go nicely in my collection and were a bit different to the other shirts in my collection - Barca, Juve etc...

I found the shirt in my loft on Sunday and decided to list it on Ebay as i'm having a bit of a clearout as have a baby on the way in February and could do with the extra money/space, I never expected it to reach £10 never mind what it's at now.

I'm completely in the dark about how a shop in Nottingham ended up selling Greenock Morton shirts and probably never will find out. I've emailed the club to see if they can shed any light.

I will try to answer any questions if you have any or would like some more pictures.

All the best

Craig

Hello guys!

I'm the seller of the shirt and am pretty disappointed that some people on this forum are willing to think i'd bid up my own auction. I'm a 100% genuine seller and have over 1000+ positive feedbacks.

About the shirt, I picked it up probably around the year 2000 from a sports shop in Nottingham. I also bought the Dunfermline shirt i also have on Ebay just because they were both made by Avec who at the time made my teams kit (Notts County) and thought they would go nicely in my collection and were a bit different to the other shirts in my collection - Barca, Juve etc...

I found the shirt in my loft on Sunday and decided to list it on Ebay as i'm having a bit of a clearout as have a baby on the way in February and could do with the extra money/space, I never expected it to reach £10 never mind what it's at now.

I'm completely in the dark about how a shop in Nottingham ended up selling Greenock Morton shirts and probably never will find out. I've emailed the club to see if they can shed any light.

I will try to answer any questions if you have any or would like some more pictures.

All the best

Craig

Good luck with that!!

I'm actually up in Inverness for a week so can't check but I'm pretty sure it's Black.

If it's black then it will be the strip brought in part way through season 00/01 (01/02 had white numbers).

I'm 99% sure that we started wearing it in October/November 2000 (can't remember which game it debuted though), which means that it was worn by:

Stephen Whalen

Garry Tweedie

Paul Mcdonald

Ross Matheson

Stephen McConalogue

Darren Davies (twice!)

David Macgregor (again, twice - Ally Maxwell didn't really use a conventional numbering system...)

Is the number on the top black or white?

QPR have never had a strip manufactured by Pony.

fair enough, as midTONs pointed out it was Adidas.

The QPR top you are thinking of was made by Adidas and had thicker red pin stripes at the top and bottom of the white hoop, the one that sticks in my mins was a really thin red pinstripe at the top of the white hoop, I'm almost positive it was a Morton top and there was only so many of them made.

I also recall seeing retro Morton tops back in the late 70s early 80s from the same year with thick hoops and others with thinner hoops.

What i was trying to say was that the strip some fans were wearing was the QPR strip modified with a Morton badge. If some were wearing the Morton strip they must have got them from the club/players themselves as it was never put on sale as a replica strip. I don't think the strip even lasted 2 months :unsure: before the Pony one I have came out.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

That strip is now at £77 on ebay. :o

Still got a long way to go to beat my £140 profit for a Brighton & Hove Albion strip. :)

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Here is the response I got from the club:

Dear Craig,

Thanks for your email.

The shirt you have was not an official club strip, and was never launched, registered or worn by Greenock Morton Football Club.

The Chairman at the time had initially looked to launch a 125th anniversary shirt, but this was never done due to the financial position the Club were in at that time.

We can only assume, therefore, that this would have been one of the samples supplied by manufacturers while this idea was being floated.

The above information was provided by our Kit Manager, who was with the Club at the time.

We hope this is of help,

Gillian Donaldson

Greenock Morton Football Club

Guest midTONs

Dear Craig,

Thanks for your email.

The shirt you have was not an official club strip, and was never launched, registered or worn by Greenock Morton Football Club.

The Chairman at the time had initially looked to launch a 125th anniversary shirt, but this was never done due to the financial position the Club were in at that time.

We can only assume, therefore, that this would have been one of the samples supplied by manufacturers while this idea was being floated.

The above information was provided by our Kit Manager, who was with the Club at the time.

We hope this is of help,

Gillian Donaldson

Still a strip worth having, like I said I knew we never wore that top but I'm still sure it was displayed but not for sale in Sports Connection front window in Greenock Town Centre.

A real collectors piece in my opinion.

Dear Craig,

Thanks for your email.

We hope this is of help,

Gillian Donaldson

:o

A response from within the guarded walls, can you please make your way to Greenock, you are now the fans representative.

(If I have any pertinent questions I want to put to Morton can I ask via yourself?)

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Guest midTONs
:o

A response from within the guarded walls, can you please make your way to Greenock, you are now the fans representative.

(If I have any pertinent questions I want to put to Morton can I ask via yourself?)

you think the e-mail woued go for 100 notes on ebay

To be fair to the club Ive never had a problem getting a reply to any emails Ive sent from either Susan or Gillian.

Archived