Yes Scotland Campaign Launched - Page 25 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Yes Scotland Campaign Launched

puggsy_ton

I don't really know or care too much about what the SNP were proposing way back, but that article paints a strange picture.

"In the run-up to the elections in 1999, the SNP said it would not implement a one penny cut in the basic rate of income tax which had been announced that year by Chancellor Gordon Brown in his UK Budget.[/size]

Instead it planned to use the new parliament's tax varying powers to keep the basic rate of income tax at 23p - which would have generated £230m per annum to spend on Scottish health, housing and education."

There was a few parties who, by and large, were unelectable in the Tony Blair populist vote era of the mid to late 1990s had tried the novel 'let's increase taxes by a penny' stunt.

The SNP done this but it was merely copying Paddy Ashdown's plan from the 1992 election.

It's not exactly a raise, as such, it's keeping it what it was. There's a subtle but significant difference between saying "it's fine as it is" and actually increasing taxation. Hardly suprising Labour and their acolytes can't grasp that though, given their bizarre notion that not cutting APD would somehow result in increased funds rather than maintaining the same level.

Don't know what happened here, I typed something and it didn't post. :huh:

Anyways, my comments were along the lines of not minding paying taxes etc. Etc.

*insert signature here*

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived