Long Ball - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Long Ball

Lovedaddy

Of course we all want to win the games.

But it would be nice to play some good football as well!

I find the long ball frustrating because there are so many occasions when the punt is played to an area that is easy for the defender to win, givng possession away. Nothing worse to watch than the opposing centre backs knocking it straight at each other.

It also leads, I think, to a lack of variety in the play. We need to be able to mix long and short passes - the trick is knowing then to play which.

Much better to play a considered game, keep the ball,and find the RIGHT pass (even if that turns out to be a long pass!).

As for the ball that led to our second goal - well, we scored, so by definition it was the right pass. What's the fuss about?

Note to self - be nice to the opposition.

ever notice how whenever we get a free kick around the halfway area harding always puts a long high ball in? never a short pass or anything, just a long high ball. he's a good user of the ball in open play so i find it a bit strange that we always resort to that tactic. lilleys first against gretna last week showed jsut how easily a few half decent passes can open up the best of defences so we should try and keep some composure in these situations - i think thats where mclarens influence will eventually rub off on the team

“If God had wanted football to be played in the air, he would have put grass in the sky.”

Brian Clough

(btw, why does Fergie get a knighthood but ppl like Bob Paisley, Bill Shankly and Clough are ignored? Pish)

Anyway, with half of our current team midgets, playing long balls makes no sense...

Between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Archived