Miss You, Mom - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Miss You, Mom

Trick37

It was one year ago today that we had the wake for my mom. I remember seeing her in her open casket (the first time I saw her since getting home from Germany the day before), and I broke down.

Between 1500 and 1800 hours (3:00 pm and 6:00 pm for civilians), there must have been at least 200 or 250 (but most likely more, maybe over 300) people that came around to pay their respects to her. There were those that were neighbors, friends of my mom's, friends of my dad's, family, people we consider to be family, people who used to work with my mom over the years that she worked (she was a nurse), and there were some of her former patients. People from all walks of life, races and backgrounds were there.

There were some flowers and plants that people had given in her honor, and quite a few made charitable donations to various charities in her name. Everyone that was there signed the condolence book (I think there was more than one actually), and my dad wrote to thank each one personally (and I do believe that he sent Christmas cards, too).

My mom, Anne Jeannette Turnbull, was born on 18 February 1943 in Glasgow, Scotland. Her parents (James William Turnbull, from Berwick-upon-Tweed, England and Isabella Mailer Harden, from Dumbarton, Scotland) lived at 3 Victoria Street in Dumbarton, Scotland. This is where she lived until they moved to Gourock, Scotland in 1956, when she was 13.

Mom started her nursing career in 1958, at the age of 15, when she began nursing school in Gourock. She later conducted her nursing apprenticeship at the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow, where she also interned as a medical evacuation nurse, during which she flew on small propeller planes to the outlying islands of the western Scottish coast. She would be a nurse for about 48 years, which practice in just about every nursing field and ward/floor that there was. Mom retired as a psych nurse at the end of 2005 (just short of 48 years of service and healing).

My mom and dad met in 1963 while dad was stationed at the Holy Loch Navy Base near Dunoon, Scotland. They were married in Gourock, Scotland on 5 June 1965 in Gourock. I was born in May 1967 in Brooklyn, NY and my brother followed in January 1972.

Mom followed dad to his various assignments while in the Navy, to Scotland, Spain, Florida, Charleston, Key West, and to Illinois (twice). Dad retired from the Navy in the summer of 2006, just a few months after I joined the Army, and shortly after I left for my first assignment in Korea.

Mom became a grandmother in January 2004, when Ellie was born to my brother and Ellie's mom, Jen. Mom thrived as a grandmother, as she did as a mom, and mom has even had influence on many people, to include being the inspiration for a few young ladies in becoming nurses.

Mom saved many lives and also improved the lives of many more in her life and nursing career. I know, from conversations with her, that those that she couldn't save weighed heavily on her mind.

And lastly, mom wasn't afraid of dying because she was dead twice on an operating table in the 70s. Mom said that she was met by family members both times, and she was told both times that it wasn't her time. I know that they were there, as were her mom and dad, when it was her time to pass last year.

Mom, and I miss you, and miss your counsel. I like calling dad to talk to him, but I still keep expecting to hear your voice on the other end of the phone (and what I wouldn't give to hear it again).

I love you mom. It sucks being without you, but I take counsel in the fact that I know you're not in pain and you're no longer suffering.

PS---I do believe that it was you that arranged for me to meet up with the lady that had her Great Dane (Max) with her that day about 3 weeks ago. It was this chance meeting that led us to be bringing home our little Osborne in 4 weeks from today. Thank you, mom!!! :-)

PPS---I love you!

"Throw me to the wolves, and I'll return leading the pack." ---Unknown

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

Archived