What Are You Listening To At The Moment? - Page 389 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What Are You Listening To At The Moment?

amy

I had a pint with Steve Trafford, their old bassist, a couple of weeks ago. He's a mate of my mate. He gets slaughtered by MES in the first two pages.

I live in Manchester, half the population have been in The Fall.

That's a bit like Clydebank. Half of that town claim they're related to Marti Pellow.

Mark E Smith must be coining it in this weather due to the Victoria Plum adverts.

*insert signature here*

Reading Johnny Marr's book at the moment which I'd recommend. Morrissey's was a bit more of a struggle... 40/60 pages (can't remember) dedicated to calling Mike Joyce a ****, pretty much.

I really enjoyed the first two-thirds of Morrissey's book right up to the court case, when he kinda lost the plot.

I really enjoyed the first two-thirds of Morrissey's book right up to the court case, when he kinda lost the plot.

I think it was written over 10 years or so (I remember interviews in the early 00s with him saying he was working on an autobiography) and I think you can tell. Quite disjointed and oddly put together, although the lack of chapters doesn't help. Had some interesting moments, but had hoped he'd go into more depth about his solo career with Boz, Whyte etc. Always just seemed to come back to 'and Mike Joyce is a cunt'.

I think it was written over 10 years or so (I remember interviews in the early 00s with him saying he was working on an autobiography) and I think you can tell. Quite disjointed and oddly put together, although the lack of chapters doesn't help. Had some interesting moments, but had hoped he'd go into more depth about his solo career with Boz, Whyte etc. Always just seemed to come back to 'and Mike Joyce is a ****'.

Haha, aye, that's pretty much how I saw it as well, went from 'thumping good read' to 'bitter rant' with nothing in between. Difficult to know who he hates most, Mike Joyce or Judge John Weeks.

FWIW, Joyce always has come across as a helmet. Read recently that he's got an autobiography lined up as well.

If Oasis get back together it's Noel, Liam and any other three; when the Roses got back together you needed the four originals for it to work. How many Smiths do you think you'd need for an authentic reunion. Would Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and AN Other work? I'm guessing Joyce wouldn't be part of it?

If Oasis get back together it's Noel, Liam and any other three; when the Roses got back together you needed the four originals for it to work. How many Smiths do you think you'd need for an authentic reunion. Would Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and AN Other work? I'm guessing Joyce wouldn't be part of it?

I could live with a Smiths reunion of Rourke, Marr and Morrissey although the new drummer would annoy me. Rourke was actually very briefly replaced by Craig Gannon in The Smiths around 85/86... not sure of the relevance of that, but a fun fact that I enjoy.

This is the closest you'll get to a Smiths reunion of sorts, IMO:

• Upvote 1

I think it was written over 10 years or so (I remember interviews in the early 00s with him saying he was working on an autobiography) and I think you can tell. Quite disjointed and oddly put together, although the lack of chapters doesn't help. Had some interesting moments, but had hoped he'd go into more depth about his solo career with Boz, Whyte etc. Always just seemed to come back to 'and Mike Joyce is a ****'.

I read the book and thought that he was a bit harsh on Mike Joyce. Granted he may not have thought that he was due the big royalties that he and Johnny Marr were due, but it looked like he wanted to shaft him financially from the outset.

One really bitter (and funny) autobiography was Stan Collymore's book "Tackling my Demons".

*insert signature here*

I read the book and thought that he was a bit harsh on Mike Joyce. Granted he may not have thought that he was due the big royalties that he and Johnny Marr were due, but it looked like he wanted to shaft him financially from the outset.

One really bitter (and funny) autobiography was Stan Collymore's book "Tackling my Demons".

I don't think so. I would recommend Marr's book, who gives a less hate-filled account account of the whole thing. I found it interesting but not surprising that Marr paid up the money and continues to do so, in effect accepting it and moving on, whereas Morrissey went through legal battles for 'another 18 years' apparently.

Heard this bands debut album being touting on some random through the night Radio 2 program the other night. Definitely worth a listen.

• Downvote 1

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

• 2 weeks later...