Match Thread - Ayr vs Morton (Championship 29th December) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Thread - Ayr vs Morton (Championship 29th December)

Admin

I dont see a car crash around the corner personally speaking. You saw in that game almost a McGraw type team. A group of players who back each other and are behind each other.

Haven't saw that for years!!! Was no more in evidence when Nesbitt was chopped down on the halfway line which in all truth was a nothing free kick.

Sure this side hasn't got the talent of a McInnes and Lindberg...but Docherty Clinging and the likes where hardly world beaters...what they where was a great unit. People should maybe stop doing what the age old story of the 90s-to date have done and have a little more faith. 7th is fine by me but atm I believe this group of players can achieve more...I've booed at many a side but theres is something to be slightly less Morton supporter like with this group and be positive for once!!

ETA

Nobody can say anyone in this Morton side is a mercenary that's for sure!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also don't see a car crash. We went into today's game without McPake, who's been a superb out-ball all season, and we didn't look all at sea without him at all. There's a lot of graft in the squad, that's for sure.

EOho8Pw.png

11 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

I dont see a car crash around the corner personally speaking. You saw in that game almost a McGraw type team. A group of players who back each other and are behind each other.

Haven't saw that for years!!! Was no more in evidence when Nesbitt was chopped down on the halfway line which in all truth was a nothing free kick.

Sure this side hasn't got the talent of a McInnes and Lindberg...but Docherty Clinging and the likes where hardly world beaters...what they where was a great unit. People should maybe stop doing what the age old story of the 90s-to date have done and have a little more faith. 7th is fine by me but atm I believe this group of players can achieve more...I've booed at many a side but theres is something to be slightly less Morton supporter like with this group and be positive for once!!

ETA

Nobody can say anyone in this Morton side is a mercenary that's for sure!

Bravely said Nornirontons and I fully agree! What I noticed most was the fitness, pace and commitment of the entire team. No Championship opponent will relish coming up against that type of organisation and performance. If we can somehow add some composure and a more clinical product in the final third, we'll be right up there!

Thanks DreamOakTree and TRVMP

Maybe it's not for the now but I remember the frustration of watching Lilley in particular at a similar age t Orsi. Let's say the cowshed wasn't an easy place to have as a judge but Orsi does remind me of that rawness that needs time to stop running about like a headless chicken and learn where and when to use his energy. Alexander had his leap and was a nuisance but again not a world beater. So I have hope and as has been said by a poster..Orsi can do a job at this level which has been noted by many a side in the division I'm sure. The most complete striker(imho) over the last 30 odd years whos worn a Morton shirt was "Lord" Dougie Robertson who's record in his prime surely speaks for itself. If only we were fulltime then t keep him off the booze. Even as a fat git and Morton getting royally humped by Falkirk the lord didn't have t move a yard t score one of the best goals ever seen on home turf!!!!

Will the guy who pay rolled McPake give us some doe for the somebody creative for the rest of the season? I hope so!! Who could that be?? Remains to be seen if its forthcoming...which I hope it is 

39 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

Will the guy who pay rolled McPake give us some doe for the somebody creative for the rest of the season? I hope so!! Who could that be?? Remains to be seen if its forthcoming...which I hope it is 

I''d rather see a backup goalkeeper added to the squad before another outfield player

1 hour ago, Nornirontons said:

Maybe it's not for the now but I remember the frustration of watching Lilley in particular at a similar age t Orsi. Let's say the cowshed wasn't an easy place to have as a judge but Orsi does remind me of that rawness that needs time to stop running about like a headless chicken and learn where and when to use his energy. 

Someone's clearly had too much of the Christmas sherry now.

tenor.gif

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Id have taken a point before kick off. We've struggled at Ayr for a long time

We don't have a particularly awful record at Ayr in recent years. I think it's L7 D6 W6 in the last 15 years there, with a fairly even spread of results over that time. I'm sure there must be places where we have worse records in recent times (our record away to Raith in recent years must be much worse). 

It was horrible anywhere against them in the late 90s/early 00s. We've got a positive head to head against them since breaking that very long winless streak, though. 

And that's why we all love a VT post.....sometimes there what we always think....sometimes maybe we should be thinking it before we are....and sometimes it's a total piss take.....but without VT  I certainly wouldn't have been as entertained that's for sure.

No more birthday card pish....just say its helps the alienated

What I'm saying is exactly what's been suggested...can I put it that Orsi as an Alexander type of Lilley...just needs wee bit more education. Not a player of any other standard but 1 we can keep and develop ourselves....a cult hero but ultimately 23-24 and your done unless you can actually produce your done...but lets have a bit of faith...and comparison with lilley.....he couldn't control his water if he was standing in front of a urinal with it in his hand when I saw him first play....Orsi can actually control a ball which in my book is a plus. 

Some of you might've been wetting your nappies back then to be fair but honestly Lilley was like Forest Gump when he first appeared...the boy could run..  and run fast as fuck 

One real positive out of Hopkin leaving is that Lyon is getting more time in the pitch. Criminal not to have him involved for so long. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

3 hours ago, Hej said:

What did Hopkin not see in Lyon?

Something happen between them? Doesn't make sense that he barely seen the light of day under him the past yeat

I think it's as simple as this: he signed Blues and preferred Blues.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

And that's why we all love a VT post.....sometimes there what we always think....sometimes maybe we should be thinking it before we are....and sometimes it's a total piss take.....but without VT  I certainly wouldn't have been as entertained that's for sure.

No more birthday card pish....just say its helps the alienated

What I'm saying is exactly what's been suggested...can I put it that Orsi as an Alexander type of Lilley...just needs wee bit more education. Not a player of any other standard but 1 we can keep and develop ourselves....a cult hero but ultimately 23-24 and your done unless you can actually produce your done...but lets have a bit of faith...and comparison with lilley.....he couldn't control his water if he was standing in front of a urinal with it in his hand when I saw him first play....Orsi can actually control a ball which in my book is a plus. 

Some of you might've been wetting your nappies back then to be fair but honestly Lilley was like Forest Gump when he first appeared...the boy could run..  and run fast as fuck 

I was just getting old enough to start understanding players when Lilley was at his best in his first spell with us, and it was clear that he was freakishly mobile and was leaving old duffer hack defenders in his wake without even thinking about it.  He also had - and he kept this right til the end, long after his running legs were gone - an extremely powerful shot. It was a deadly combination.

For all that I like and respect Kalvin Orsi for coming in from Brechin and giving 100% to the cause, he doesn't have either of these. What he does have is character, strength, and an ability to both drift wide and come in centrally. With our financial circumstances as they are, he's the kind of player we are (hopefully) going to see a lot of - versatile, determined, eager, and now and again capable of a little bit of magic.

Many of us have said for the last year or so just how likeable this current squad is, and how we'd trade almost everyone off the pitch for anything else, the current squad is a credit to our 146-year-old institution. They're not the best and they're not the fanciest, but few can match them for scrappiness and determination. Orsi exemplifies that.

EOho8Pw.png

Have we also got fitter under the new set-up? The speed of our breaks up the pitch, high press, closing down and aggressive tackling all seemed to be improved last night. If so it’s perhaps easy to come to the conclusion that this could be down to the interim head coach being an experienced Sports Scientist. I’m sure he’ll be well backed by Jim and Midge though!

11 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I was just getting old enough to start understanding players when Lilley was at his best in his first spell with us, and it was clear that he was freakishly mobile and was leaving old duffer hack defenders in his wake without even thinking about it.  He also had - and he kept this right til the end, long after his running legs were gone - an extremely powerful shot. It was a deadly combination.

When Lilley broke into the first team there were guys on our bus who referred to him as a “lump o’ wood” - every week. Bearing in mind that this was in the 93-94 season when we were one of five teams relegated (due to reconstruction) and the team were a shambles pretty much every game. Given the career that he went on to have, it’s fair to say that at times, football fans know f**k all.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

6 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

When Lilley broke into the first team there were guys on our bus who referred to him as a “lump o’ wood” - every week. Bearing in mind that this was in the 93-94 season when we were one of five teams relegated (due to reconstruction) and the team were a shambles pretty much every game. Given the career that he went on to have, it’s fair to say that at times, football fans know f**k all.

Aye agreed. I remember being pleased when Leeds bought Jordan from us as I couldn't see him doing anything.

22 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I think it's as simple as this: he signed Blues and preferred Blues.

It hadn't escaped my attention that Blues hasn't made a squad since Hopkin left. Maybe it's as simple as having an injury which the club haven't bothered to mention, but I do wonder if he's on his way in January.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived