A New Manager - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

A New Manager

vikingTON

Crawford Rae's interview before the game and two excellent results make it reasonable to expect that we'll be going with the current caretaker team for now. I've got no issue with doing this but we should also be getting our ducks in a row as best as we can for a permanent appointment bearing in mind the obstacles of the anticipated takeover. Three clear options should be explored in my view:

1) The interim team should be judged on their ongoing performance and if they'd like to be considered for the role. Millar has said yes to that McElhone said no - potentially there's a flip of seniority that could make that work for both of them. 

2) We should be sounding out Stewart Petrie's intentions regardless. As much as there are no guarantees with an appointment, he has done a seriously impressive job in delivering sustained success with Montrose and will likely move to a full-time club in the near future. He might well decide against joining us right now but there's nothing to be lost by pursuing our interest with an eye to him switching from Montrose this summer.

3) The Club Legend. Following a highly successful spell of management/coaching in Sweden, Ostersunds ended Brian Wake's contract as head of recruitment in the summer due to the inconvenient fact that they're getting hounded by CAS for prior dealings and so face a transfer ban for the foreseeable future anyway. Current situation is unclear but we should absolutely be pursuing this line of enquiry as well. 

The bottom line is that there should be no kicking back until May and then 'inviting CVs' from the John Hugheses of the game here. If we have the relative luxury of having six months to decide then the board should use that wisely to pursue our options to make a logical pick.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

8 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Crawford Rae's interview before the game and two excellent results make it reasonable to expect that we'll be going with the current caretaker team for now. I've got no issue with doing this but we should also be getting our ducks in a row as best as we can for a permanent appointment bearing in mind the obstacles of the anticipated takeover. Three clear options should be explored in my view:

1) The interim team should be judged on their ongoing performance and if they'd like to be considered for the role. Millar has said yes to that McElhone said no - potentially there's a flip of seniority that could make that work for both of them. 

2) We should be sounding out Stewart Petrie's intentions regardless. As much as there are no guarantees with a manager, he has done a seriously impressive job in delivering sustained success with Montrose and will likely move to a full-time club in the near future. He might well decide against joining us right now but there's nothing to be lost by pursuing our interest with an eye to him switching from Montrose this summer.

3) The Club Legend. Following a highly successful spell of management/coaching in Sweden, Ostersunds ended Brian Wake's contract as head of recruitment in the summer due to the inconvenient fact that they're getting hounded by CAS for massive dodgy dealings and so face a transfer ban for the foreseeable future anyway. Current situation is unclear but we should absolutely be pursuing this line of enquiry as well. 

The bottom line is that there should be no kicking back until May and then 'inviting CVs' from the John Hugheses of the game here. If we have the relative luxury of having six months to decife then the board should use that wisely to pursue our options to make a logical pick.

Petrie is a great suggestion. I was a fan of James McDonagh over at Edinburgh City but its all went a bit wayward so far this season.

That's why the consistency of Petrie's work really stands out for me. They had a dip at the start of last season but when you consider the turnover in loans for key players at that level it's not a huge surprise. The fact that he has rebuilt a capable team again - when they really should be milling around midtable in League Two - suggests a manager who would cope well with the limitations of managing a smaller full-time/possibly hybrid outfit as well.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Obviously let’s not get carried away with 2 decent results but seems likely those currently at the club are in pole position to make a claim for employment, in some form, after the change of ownership. 

Perhaps the recent results and performances at least confirm that the players weren’t fully bought into Hopkins safety first approach.

8 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

John Hughes to keep county up because he's a good manager.

What about society though? The players and their selfies and their Sega Megadrives? Hopefully he gets some gud honest laddies in.

On 12/21/2020 at 9:52 AM, TONofmemories said:

John Hughes to keep county up because he's a good manager.

John Hughes is a good option as a safe pair of hands to inherit a strong squad and continue or build on the good work of a previous manager, when the route to success is getting the same or even more out of some guid hoanest laddies who are already confident and playing well. This is why he was a success at ICT, where he inherited a side sitting second in the league with a strong spine and some quality players who would have gotten a game for everyone bar Celtic, then had their best ever season the following year when he kept that squad together and didn't have to make any signings.

When John Hughes takes over a side who are struggling, the job was available because the previous manager was sacked rather than moving onto better things, he inherits a squad with glaring weaknesses who need their confidence lifted and possibly need an urgent transfer window overhaul, he is about the worst manager you can appoint. This is why he was a failure at Livingston and Hartlepool, took Hibs backwards rapidly and was an abject disaster at Raith in the most comparable job to the one he has to do at Ross County now. He poisoned that club, blaming his flaws on the ills of society, and they didn't recover from what he did to them for years.

The difference is that he has a transfer window available this time, which shouldn't be a cause for confidence because when he gets handed a blank chequebook (as Ross County managers often are in January) that's been a mess as well. See getting ICT's biggest budget ever as the team he inherited from Butcher began to move on and using it to replace the likes of Graeme Shinnie, Ryan Christie, Billy McKay and Marley Watkins with Nat Wedderburn, Dani Lopez and Jordan Roberts.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

One thing I thought Hughes did very well at Inverness was pick his moment to leave. Going a year after the cup win when it was clear they were hitting a trough, he picked his moment to go beautifully and allow Foran to be the fall guy, keeping his reputation intact until he was found out a year later at Raith Rovers.

Whenever the Morton job comes up and John Hughes and Mark McGhee are available, I get the fear that we’ll appoint one of them, but Hughes is on record as saying Morton isn’t a job he’s interested in and I suspect McGhee also has ideas above Morton.

With Hughes off the radar now, if someone else could just appoint McGhee so spare me any lingering panic that would be just smashing.

55 minutes ago, Toby said:

One thing I thought Hughes did very well at Inverness was pick his moment to leave. Going a year after the cup win when it was clear they were hitting a trough, he picked his moment to go beautifully and allow Foran to be the fall guy, keeping his reputation intact until he was found out a year later at Raith Rovers.

Aye, that's a definite talent of his. In one of his many interviews complaining about being out of work since leaving Raith, he had this to offer:

“I left Falkirk. What happens? They got relegated and have never been in the top flight since because of my standards. I also got them to the Scottish Cup Final. I leave Inverness. What happens? Relegated. I won the Scottish Cup and got them to the League Cup Final. It’s not bad."

Seemingly clubs being relegated after Hughes leaves them is entirely down to losing his managerial genius, and nothing to do with him building a terrible squad then slithering out the door before the implosion.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

18 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

John Hughes is a good option as a safe pair of hands to inherit a strong squad and continue or build on the good work of a previous manager, when the route to success is getting the same or even more out of some guid hoanest laddies who are already confident and playing well. This is why he was a success at ICT, where he inherited a side sitting second in the league with a strong spine and some quality players who would have gotten a game for everyone bar Celtic, then had their best ever season the following year when he kept that squad together and didn't have to make any signings.

When John Hughes takes over a side who are struggling, the job was available because the previous manager was sacked rather than moving onto better things, he inherits a squad with glaring weaknesses who need their confidence lifted and possibly need an urgent transfer window overhaul, he is about the worst manager you can appoint. This is why he was a failure at Livingston and Hartlepool, took Hibs backwards rapidly and was an abject disaster at Raith in the most comparable job to the one he has to do at Ross County now. He poisoned that club, blaming his flaws on the ills of society, and they didn't recover from what he did to them for years.

The difference is that he has a transfer window available this time, which shouldn't be a cause for confidence because when he gets handed a blank chequebook (as Ross County managers often are in January) that's been a mess as well. See getting ICT's biggest budget ever as the team he inherited from Butcher began to move on and using it to replace the likes of Graeme Shinnie, Ryan Christie, Billy McKay and Marley Watkins with Nat Wedderburn, Dani Lopez and Jordan Roberts.

Time will tell i guess. I wish him well. Quite like his passion

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived