Match Thread - Morton vs QOTS (Championship 19th December) - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Thread - Morton vs QOTS (Championship 19th December)

Admin

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we have to acknowledge that Muirhead's performances in the last few weeks, and today in particular, have actually been pretty good. While his performances early on in the season were poor, I thought some of the criticisms on here were a bit OTT. Fair play to him, let's hope he can sustain his recent improvement, there's definitely a player there.

Have to say, the spirit and character of the whole squad is excellent. Not the most naturally gifted players on the planet, but they've got a great work ethic that you can't help but admire. They seem to be genuinely likeable bunch as well. Hats off to them! Also think Strapp's got a great future in the game.

I've really enjoyed being able to watch the games this season, really hope that the match streaming will continue after Covid. As TRVMP mentioned, Andy Ritchie is a totally unexpected revaluation as co-commentator, insightful, honest and humorous. 

46 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

What really concerned me yesterday was that McAllister went off with around 15 minutes left.

It has been discussed that should MacAdam have to go off injured or be sent off, Jim would be his replacement. Had that. Happened yesterday where did that leave us? We really need a second keeper on the books in the January window.

Ideally we need to shift some of the deadwood in the squad and acquire a back up keeper. Despite recent results the squad remains unbalanced. 

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

What really concerned me yesterday was that McAllister went off with around 15 minutes left.

It has been discussed that should MacAdam have to go off injured or be sent off, Jim would be his replacement. Had that. Happened yesterday where did that leave us? We really need a second keeper on the books in the January window.

Discussed where and by who?

41 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

The easiest way of getting a 2nd keeper in will be the loan market. The only problem there is that in the initial period there will no doubt be a requirement to play the loanee ahead of MacAdam which would be harsh

Agree, McAdam has already showed that he can equip himself perfectly well at this level. If he hadn't made that save at 1-0 yesterday who knows how the game would have panned out.

Better option for cover IMO would be a free agent on a short-term contract till the end of the season. 

Are emergency loans still available? Perhaps  the club are looking to that, in the event of an injury to McAdam, with an outfield player filling in for what remained of the 90 minutes of McAdam's game. IIRC, somebody on here had mentioned Muirhead as a possible stand-in.

33 minutes ago, Waverley said:

Are emergency loans still available? Perhaps  the club are looking to that, in the event of an injury to McAdam, with an outfield player filling in for what remained of the 90 minutes of McAdam's game. IIRC, somebody on here had mentioned Muirhead as a possible stand-in.

They are but only in exceptional circumstances. The SPFL/SFA could easily tell us to bugger off, it's our own fault for not putting together a squad properly.

As with signing a goalkeeper on loan it needs approval from the SPFL board, but you can also temporarily recall goalkeepers from loans outside windows in an emergency so bringing Wylie back from Port Glasgow is also an option.

I guess if Hopkin had been comfortable that he was ready for Championship football he wouldn't have been loaned out in the first place right enough, so assuming McElhone agrees you'd think a signing would be more likely.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I'd recall Wylie. Saves spending unnecessary money on a keeper who probably won't play all season. Just need a competent keeper for the bench in the unlikely event that McAdams gets injured.

If we were to lose McAdams for a longer period, we bring in a loan or free agent.

Ooooh it's a good video

It has to be said - Lewis Strapp did extremely well when their free-kick hit the bar. His reaction was superb, he got in ahead of two or three Queens players to nod the ball away to relative safety. He was there to mark their number 16 and despite that guy having a few inches on him, he was nowhere near it because Strapp was in the way. Fearless stuff from him as usual. As he gets more experienced he's popping up in the right place more and more.

EOho8Pw.png

Strapp is a terrific player. Not just a tenacious tackler but has good feet. One move there he completely wrong footed his opponent to create space to push forward - minor thing but showed great poise. Get him signed on a ten year contract.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

59 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Strapp is a terrific player. Not just a tenacious tackler but has good feet. One move there he completely wrong footed his opponent to create space to push forward - minor thing but showed great poise. Get him signed on a ten year contract.

Agree. Can definitely see him develop into a box to box midfielder. Certainly has the attributes in terms of skill, passing, athleticism. 

Archived