Hoppy Gone (Potentially) - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hoppy Gone (Potentially)

ChampTon

Blaming supporters who are literally putting more money into the club than they ever have done is pretty remarkable. We have managed to end up in a situation where having an actual football manager for this club is considered a luxury we cannot afford - in a season where it’s paramount we stay in the division. That isn’t the fans fault, barely Hopkin’s fault either, it is entirely down to the sheer and utter incompetency of the board. 

The same incompetency that plunged us into millions of pounds of debt and has made us the biggest underachievers anywhere in Scottish Football. Fans have still put money in, fans have still turned up and supported many of the charlatans to manage us and pull on the jersey over the years - we have no responsibility to do anything else. Just like supporters of every other SPFL club, it is not up to us to offer up solutions and be oh so understanding whilst being dragged backwards kicking and screaming by owners none of us have wanted for 15 years. 

We still do though, and many of the disasters the club lurches to are signposted ahead of time. See, not having a sodding test event for our streaming service this year or the various concerns raised about our bloated, unbalanced playing squad. Once again though, that is not our responsibility.

We are a PROFESSIONAL football club, or are supposed to be. It is nobody’s fault but the Rae’s we find ourselves in the situation we are in.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Finally have gotten myself a new handle and account for the forum. For some reason years back, I could not get signed in and it was easier to sit back and read all the negative rubbish about ownership, managers, players, kit man, this coach, that problem....honestly if this forum was about sticking the boot in, complaining, back-stabbing and demoralising the folk in question, you lot would be top of the premier league, going for eleven in a row, have won back to back champions leagues and made millions into the bargain.  

I could go on all day about the entitled sh*t* that is written on here......its and absolute joke to think that Morton should be above and beyond general profit and loss, sucess and failure. How in anyones right mind can you figure, that a loss making business should continue to risk the entire business and the livelyhoods of many others on a failing and outdated model. 

You must be having a laugh just because you throw in a few quid each week, that you can say what the hell you like about anything and anyone.....as a Morton fan its worse to read the sh*t* on here than it is to watch some of the poor teams and players that I have witnessed over many, many years. I'm not living in the town or country, but have watched my fair share of bad Morton teams as well as a number of poor Morton players.

Here's the thing, we have had a number of mangers over the recent years, and I don't recall much if any dissention at the appointments. As soon as its starts getting a wee bit tough, all the boot boys have been just waiting for their moment and so it starts again.......why anybody would want the Morton job or even want to play for them is beyond me. Lets be clear, just because you put a few quid in every now and again, does not give anyone the right to rip the pish out of anyone, associated with the club.

In all my years of watching and reading this forum, NEVER once have I read an article, which puts forward a suggestion for improvements, with a self-supporting plan to underpin the suggestion. This forum is frankly wee boys stuff, he said/she said crap. Anybody can sit on their computer and say, this is crap, he's pish, Crawford's that....that's the wee boys stuff I'm talking about. To be an business owner and particularly a football club owner, it takes a lot of balls to succeed. In football the risks are enormous and the rewards are minor, which make the risk, simply not worth the reward.

Which lead to my question and a reality check for everyone...who here is willing to risk their home, car, wealth, family and bet on Morton being sucessful, and when they are you'll get virtaully nothing back on everything you spent. Aye, it's you who will be left homeless and penniless. Nobody in their right mind would do it, so WTF should we expect Crawford Rae to do so? Wake up everyone, owning a football team is a way to loose your wealth, mind and happiness. Even more so when you have to deal with the sh*t% written on here. 

Does anybody recall the guy who bought into Livi? He won over 10 Million on the lottery and blew it all on Livi. Not a penny left and he's back working as a nurse. There's yir proof, what more do you need.......

TBH, I'm amazed Morton has lasted as long as it has. Despite what you may thing of the present ownership, if it was not for the Rae family, you all would be doing something else with your time. That may not necessarily be a bad thing, but I have a feeling it soon will be an option you will all have.

The harsh reality of DH leaving his position, is that he has been backed to a certain extent and has now been informed that it is no longer sustainable. Rather than getting rid of the players needed to keep the business afloat and support the remaining employees, he has decided he CANNOT make a decision which is the right one for the business. As I note above, it takes a lot of balls to make harsh business decisions, which will affect a few, but will provide a safety net for the remaining. DH, is abviously not a business leader, which obviously does not bode well as a manger, because his decisions need to be totally selfish and be what's best for the team.

On the back of DH leaving, what do we get....usual sh*t*, mis-management, Crawford this, McKinnon that, blah, blah and blah. Not one positive note in support of anything achieved or improved. The fact that Morton is still in business should be be a positive to all associated and all who want to be future associated with the club. People leave their jobs for all sorts of reasons and all the time. DH leaving should be seen as no different and viewed as another beginning.....although if we are honest, there has been too many new beginnings, but as a business minded person, I don't think its from the lack of trying or wish to be sucessful.

Managers have been hired and players have been signed, CR has put his money and faith in the manager and relies on him to bring in the players to build a sucessful team with the budget given to him. I don't think there is one manager who has been appointed and said from the outset "I cannot work with the budget and therefore I cannot give you the sucess your looking for". In fact I'm guessing every single person inteviewed for the mangers job, has said the opposite, DH included.  

Now it's my turn for a sh*t*fest of negativity........which brings me back to where it all started and the reason for this post.

How was the Rae household last night?

I have a spare suitcase if helps You packing up your mess from Cappielow and getting as far away from the club as possible. 

4 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Come on forum members...it's just like I wrote, not one person acknowledged any of the points made. As I pointed out, most seem intent in contradicting any opinion, while sitting in the background and not offering anything that will improve past, current and future situations.

Ten out of ten for smart arsed comments and general dogs abuse though. I'll be expecting more to come.

Now back to case in point; does anyone have a business minded new approach or new suggestion to help take Morton forward and secure the future? 

Possibly formulated a business plan, developed a cash flow forecast, developed a P&L account, accounted for business rates, insurance, running costs, wages, kit.....do you get the picture? Taken your plan to the board or MCT and shown how wonderful you are, turning sh*t* into gold?

Naw, I didn't think. 

I'm not out to create forum war, but it's simple economics, which most of the forum members don't or refuse to acknowledge. Without cash flow, we have nothing....cash  is king and I hate to say it, despite the best intentions of MCT I feel it may not be enough. Which comes back to what I noted in my post, what are you prepared to do, how much of your wages are you willing to commit? Tough question and I appreciate that, but why should we expect CR to do it, when "we" the supporters are not.

People are in business to make money and if its not working they stop. This is what CR is doing, despite cutting everything to the bare bone, we still can't make ends meet. Say what you like about  the current form of the team, bottom line the club is loosing money week in week out, and no sane person would commit to doing the same thing over and over, and expect a different outcome....

FYI, I'm not CR in disguise, I have never met him, although I did meet  the late DR and his wife a number of times and found them to be very nice folk. I am known to a few on this forum and I hope they would vouch that I'm not some kind of numptie. I do live in the US, hence why my post is late or early whatever way you look at it. I'm also generally too busy to get involved in the usual forum stuff, but I've been a wee bit slow this last few days and thought, why not give my opinion.

Would love to keep this going, but only if we focus on solutions not problems. Everyone knows what the problems are, the hard part is finding the solution, implementing with the resources available, in a timely manner and without interuption to the business.  

Remember you called this forum a “Rag”, Crawford?

my suggestion is, you leave OUR CLUB immediately. 

RAE’S OUT!

Well that's an interesting take on things that conveniently ignores the performance of the owners and board over the best part of 20 years. We may be a 'professional' club in name but we are shambolic amateurs when it comes to leadership 

The club has been run into the ground by hobbyist masters who sat back and gave the blessed Dougie carte blanche to indulge himself in one appalling decision after another without reference to or acknowledgement of mug punters. It is of no surprise that Morton have remained rooted in the past while virtually all of our rivals have had better days. 

Blaming the fans really is the last desperate throw of the dice and the Wwbamf post is embarrassing revisionism that I've come to expect from 'but he saved the club' sycophants.

I never thought this year could get any more surreal and along comes a newbie alias posting to put the blame on fans for the shambolic mess that is GMFC. DDFR was rightly lauded when he rescued the club but almost all the issues we now face are directly related to his and his son's ownership and decision-making. The failing business model is solely down to the Rae family. It was also DDFR who assured the fans that he would effectively leave Morton debt free only for the family to row back on this promise as they continue to seek to squeeze every penny out of the fans. Sadly, the family's decision to retain Cappielow was inevitable albeit I am not as convinced as some that there is a 'huge' windfall in selling the ground - all the more reason for it to be 'gifted' to help the club survive. 

As for the bleating we the fans should be offering up a solution, is that not exactly what MCT was set up to achieve? Fans have and continue to put their hands in their pockets despite what they are having to endure on the park. Fans have bought shares in the club. Fans have offered their services. Fans have put forward ideas on how to generate income. Almost without fail the hierarchy has turned down these approaches and ideas. The end result is, once again, the club is on a precipice. Under no circumstances are the fans to blame. The Rae family are wholly responsible for this mess.

5 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Come on forum members...it's just like I wrote, not one person acknowledged any of the points made. As I pointed out, most seem intent in contradicting any opinion, while sitting in the background and not offering anything that will improve past, current and future situations.

Ten out of ten for smart arsed comments and general dogs abuse though. I'll be expecting more to come.

Now back to case in point; does anyone have a business minded new approach or new suggestion to help take Morton forward and secure the future? 

Possibly formulated a business plan, developed a cash flow forecast, developed a P&L account, accounted for business rates, insurance, running costs, wages, kit.....do you get the picture? Taken your plan to the board or MCT and shown how wonderful you are, turning sh*t* into gold?

Naw, I didn't think. 

I'm not out to create forum war, but it's simple economics, which most of the forum members don't or refuse to acknowledge. Without cash flow, we have nothing....cash  is king and I hate to say it, despite the best intentions of MCT I feel it may not be enough. Which comes back to what I noted in my post, what are you prepared to do, how much of your wages are you willing to commit? Tough question and I appreciate that, but why should we expect CR to do it, when "we" the supporters are not.

People are in business to make money and if its not working they stop. This is what CR is doing, despite cutting everything to the bare bone, we still can't make ends meet. Say what you like about  the current form of the team, bottom line the club is loosing money week in week out, and no sane person would commit to doing the same thing over and over, and expect a different outcome....

FYI, I'm not CR in disguise, I have never met him, although I did meet  the late DR and his wife a number of times and found them to be very nice folk. I am known to a few on this forum and I hope they would vouch that I'm not some kind of numptie. I do live in the US, hence why my post is late or early whatever way you look at it. I'm also generally too busy to get involved in the usual forum stuff, but I've been a wee bit slow this last few days and thought, why not give my opinion.

Would love to keep this going, but only if we focus on solutions not problems. Everyone knows what the problems are, the hard part is finding the solution, implementing with the resources available, in a timely manner and without interuption to the business.  

Wow, you're definitely a Rae with a comment like that highlighted above!  Only one of them would come on to a forum to abuse some of their most loyal customer base and then actually complain about getting abuse back!!  

If you know so much about running a business I wouldn't be on here wasting time trying to impress us, maybe you should be speaking to Crawford/your Dad/uncle/whatever and showing him!

You've clearly also never spent more than 5 minutes on this forum as there have been numerous suggestions and examples of other clubs given over the years by fans on how to make money and how to generally run a football club competently!  All either ignored or executed in the Morton way, shambolically.  Also no-one could have planned for COVID but a club run sustainably could have ridden the waves.

I've also witnessed in the past people directly expressing concerns to Douglas Rae about the amount of money he was spending on the club and the problems the weight of that debt would have in the years to come.  It was all responded to in the same way, Morton would never come to financial harm while his family were involved. 

The Rae's tenure has been littered with hubris, arrogance and incompetence it appears now that their legacy at Morton won't be as its saviour but death by a thousand cuts.

Such a shame that Inverclyde's teeth weren't the only thing they rotted.

here today, gone to hell

FB_IMG_1607683251445.jpg

Morton Club Together (MCT) were disappointed by yesterday’s announcement of the resignation of the former manager David Hopkin.  With the season only two months old, and shortened due to Covid-19, the impact on the remainder of the season of losing a manager is undoubtedly a concern.

From our work on progressing towards the transition to community ownership, it has become clear to us that the club is in a difficult financial position.  We also understand that this is an unusual season and realise that planning for this campaign was difficult to predict and project with any accuracy. 

Despite this, and with MCT’s significant financial backing, the former manager was provided with a budget we are led to believe was the best the club could offer. The budget, which may have been viewed as far from ideal by some, allowed for a first team of 22 players to be retained and recruited.

The club have publicly advised in their statement that the manager has resigned to help with the financial challenges faced. Whilst this may be a commendable action, we also do have concerns on both the consequences and the responsibility now placed on any managerial successor. 

Nevertheless, the fiscal situation faced by the club is clearly significant.  MCT has been able to gain more insight in the past weeks on these pressures and have concerns which go beyond the present managerial situation. These are now shared by the board of the club.

As an organisation, we want to be frank with our members and the wider fanbase.  The reality is the future of the club is at stake right now.   

For MCT, the focus remains on being that future for the club.  We are working towards this transition, and indeed the appointment of a second MCT representative to the Greenock Morton Board will help that.  Through our feasibility work, and dealings with the club, we believe that a fresh start will not only be beneficial but is crucial for the future of the club.

We know it is tough in the face of ongoing adversity, but we would ask that all Morton fans come together and get behind MCT, allowing us to move Morton forward into a new era in our history, one that will have fans at the heart of it.     

We will be updating on our progress behind the scenes, and the work ongoing towards the transition, early in 2021, but for now we ask that Morton fans everywhere who want change, and want a fresh start, get behind MCT and help us be that change.

Together we have the potential to give Greenock Morton a fresh start, something that it is clear to us that there is an appetite for.

In the immediate term, we hope that whatever managerial outcome is reached will be one that helps give stability and gives fans a renewed resolve to help get the club through the remainder of this season. 

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/12/11/morton-club-together-statement/

5 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Naw, I didn't think. 

Hi Crawford, or Stuart, or whichever Rae you are.

As has already been picked up, a number of your original points have already been answered, so I don’t think there’s any point in covering that ground again. As you are keen that some points are answered, maybe you could answer a few too? If you aren’t going to own up as a Rae, then at the very least you are clearly a strong supporter of them so genuinely keen to hear your thoughts on;

1. Why was Hopkin allowed to build a 22 man, imbalanced squad? Particularly at a time where we were already in the midst of a global pandemic and it was blatantly obvious we had to budget for no fans attending games.

2. On the first point, if you are happy to get into economics, P&L etc (and whatever other business buzzwords you have picked up), surely it’s basic sense to plan for the worst case scenario? Surely the budget for this season was built around not expecting fans back into Cappielow? Was it? If so, why is COVID suddenly being used as an excuse and is Crawford suddenly shocked that we can’t afford the players that we have?

3. Was too much money wasted on Hopkin? If rumours are true that he was told to release 5/6 players in January, and instead left himself; how sizeable was his salary? Was it really the equivalent to that of 5/6 players? Or should we now still expect to see 3/4 players out the door in January aswell as Hopkin leaving? If money was so tight, why last season did we “splurge” money on new dugouts, a new gym, meals at a hotel before every game etc?

4. What was the contingency plan if MCT failed? We are in the position we are in - a dire financial one apparently - and that’s with £10k per month coming through the door from MCT. What if members contributions suddenly stopped and we had to survive without handouts from the fans, like you know, the vast majority of clubs in Scotland?

5. Crawfords statement, and both of your posts, bleat on about lack of cash, but what have the club actively done to bring in more? I’m more than happy to dish out praise when it’s deserved - for example the streaming coverage has rightly been lauded as one of the best in Scotland, but what about other revenues for income? We’re now a few weeks away from Christmas - other teams are advertising merchandise sales, club themed Santa hats and Christmas jumpers. What have we had from Morton to encourage us to spend? Nothing. I went to buy a season ticket at the start of the season and poor systems, lack of encouragement and sales techniques etc put me off and I never did. Where is the commercial acumen that MacKinnon was supposed to bring to the club? As fans we can’t actively spend more at the club if there is nothing to buy. As you would put it, it’s simple economics.

There’s probably about a million and one mort points I could make, and questions I could ask, but I’ll leave it there. I doubt I’ll get a response anyway, but more than happy for you to prove me wrong. It’s worth noting that fans don’t have to be treated like scum. Your posts don’t have to be so condescending and patronising - absolutely without the Rae family this club wouldn’t exist, but without the fans it wouldn’t either. Don’t forget that. We aren’t stupid. 

We must retain OUR stadium. 

16 minutes ago, MCT Team said:

Morton Club Together (MCT) were disappointed by yesterday’s announcement of the resignation of the former manager David Hopkin.  With the season only two months old, and shortened due to Covid-19, the impact on the remainder of the season of losing a manager is undoubtedly a concern.

From our work on progressing towards the transition to community ownership, it has become clear to us that the club is in a difficult financial position.  We also understand that this is an unusual season and realise that planning for this campaign was difficult to predict and project with any accuracy. 

Despite this, and with MCT’s significant financial backing, the former manager was provided with a budget we are led to believe was the best the club could offer. The budget, which may have been viewed as far from ideal by some, allowed for a first team of 22 players to be retained and recruited.

The club have publicly advised in their statement that the manager has resigned to help with the financial challenges faced. Whilst this may be a commendable action, we also do have concerns on both the consequences and the responsibility now placed on any managerial successor. 

Nevertheless, the fiscal situation faced by the club is clearly significant.  MCT has been able to gain more insight in the past weeks on these pressures and have concerns which go beyond the present managerial situation. These are now shared by the board of the club.

As an organisation, we want to be frank with our members and the wider fanbase.  The reality is the future of the club is at stake right now.   

For MCT, the focus remains on being that future for the club.  We are working towards this transition, and indeed the appointment of a second MCT representative to the Greenock Morton Board will help that.  Through our feasibility work, and dealings with the club, we believe that a fresh start will not only be beneficial but is crucial for the future of the club.

We know it is tough in the face of ongoing adversity, but we would ask that all Morton fans come together and get behind MCT, allowing us to move Morton forward into a new era in our history, one that will have fans at the heart of it.     

We will be updating on our progress behind the scenes, and the work ongoing towards the transition, early in 2021, but for now we ask that Morton fans everywhere who want change, and want a fresh start, get behind MCT and help us be that change.

Together we have the potential to give Greenock Morton a fresh start, something that it is clear to us that there is an appetite for.

In the immediate term, we hope that whatever managerial outcome is reached will be one that helps give stability and gives fans a renewed resolve to help get the club through the remainder of this season. 

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/12/11/morton-club-together-statement/

I would think that as prospective new owners, why did the Club not contact the trust to raise these concerns and involve the trust with what is going to come next. 

we need to retain the stadium! 

11 minutes ago, Malt said:

We must retain OUR stadium. 

I would think that as prospective new owners, why did the Club not contact the trust to raise these concerns and involve the trust with what is going to come next. 

we need to retain the stadium! 

Please don’t call MCT the Trust...

You get my point though? 

This is grim reading and something a majority of us sensed would, unfortunately, occur. 

There is no way anyone is going to contribute any money to the Rae family given their utter contempt towards the club and fans. These are the hardest of times with disposable income much lower and uncertain. 

the heart has been ripped out of the club by the Rae family and generations of fans lost. They have been the worst thing to ever happen to Greenock Morton Football Club and it is clear to see they do not care!

"In all my years of watching and reading this forum, NEVER once have I read an article, which puts forward a suggestion for improvements, with a self-supporting plan to underpin the suggestion. This forum is frankly wee boys stuff, he said/she said crap. Anybody can sit on their computer and say, this is crap, he's pish, Crawford's that....that's the wee boys stuff I'm talking about. To be an business owner and particularly a football club owner, it takes a lot of balls to succeed. In football the risks are enormous and the rewards are minor, which make the risk, simply not worth the reward".

I have to disagree with your comments as I’ve seen lots of suggestions over the years some good some not so good. But here’s the thing none of those suggestions have ever been addressed by the club as to why they could or couldn’t be implemented. That’s a failure of the club to respond to fans looking to improve matters.

To formulate a plan you need access to a detailed profit and loss set of accounts. This is something that has been brought up at various AGMs but has been turned down. Probably for reasons of commercial confidentiality but that would not have stopped the club giving a more detailed breakdown.

"Which lead to my question and a reality check for everyone...who here is willing to risk their home, car, wealth, family and bet on Morton being sucessful, and when they are you'll get virtaully nothing back on everything you spent. Aye, it's you who will be left homeless and penniless. Nobody in their right mind would do it, so WTF should we expect Crawford Rae to do so? Wake up everyone, owning a football team is a way to loose your wealth, mind and happiness. Even more so when you have to deal with the sh*t% written on here. 

Does anybody recall the guy who bought into Livi? He won over 10 Million on the lottery and blew it all on Livi. Not a penny left and he's back working as a nurse. There's yir proof, what more do you need......."

GMFC is a limited company and nobody is going to lose the house or wealth if it goes belly up. Far from it Crawford would take control of the only asset GMFC has and a lucrative one at that, the ground.

Your point on John McGuinness is also not exactly true as he was persuaded by shameless people at Livvy ,who shall remain nameless, to underwrite loans with the Bank Of Scotland. When the bank called in the loan he was left high and dry holding the baby while others walked away.

"TBH, I'm amazed Morton has lasted as long as it has. Despite what you may thing of the present ownership, if it was not for the Rae family, you all would be doing something else with your time. That may not necessarily be a bad thing, but I have a feeling it soon will be an option you will all have".

That maybe so but their stewardship of the club has been terrible. During DDFs tenure it was run more like a hobby than a business. As for other comments made on the forum regarding the board. Let’s be honest here, the board have little influence with the majority shareholder just as they did with his father. Hopefully all that will change with MCT assuming there is a club to manage when the season is over.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

As much as that post barely deserves being dignified with a response, there’s never been a shortage of suggestions for commercial (in particular) strategies on here, and there’s regularly complaints about the most obvious, basic things not being done; likewise, there can’t be very many people who haven’t expressed their concern about the squad size and composition. Its just plain lies to suggest otherwise.

Also, season tickets have generally been quite highly priced over the years for very little in return, likewise the match streams, and on top of that fans’ are literally paying the players’ wages. The blame for this mess stops at the Rae family and nowhere else, the only thing fan-base has been guilty of is being far too tolerant and accepting of them.

AWMSC

Correct message, get the banners up. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

8 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Naw, I didn't think. 

Two posts and already -22. That’s BAAAAAAD.

We haven’t seen such universal excoriation of a user since Clydeview, Ed De Ball and Lord Volvic!

Archived