Sign in to follow this  
Cet Homme Charmant

St Mirren game

8 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I'm really not sure how fielding a dung half-strength team constitutes 'giving then too much respect' from the start. Surely we'd have fielded our full strength side just to avoid taking a bleaching?

This seems to be the standard Morton fan description of 'playing defensively and shitfesting', which is not actually the same thing. 

I believe that Hopkin thought they were better than they actually are. We'll never know of course, but I think if McPake and Oliver had started that game we'd have won it. 

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

I have nothing personal against Muirhead but he's extremely lucky to still be a full time footballer. 

There were multiple times in that game where he lacked the basic abilities needed at Sunday league level to compete in a football match nevermind in professional full time football. 

He has the first touch of an elephant

Just now, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I believe that Hopkin thought they were better than they actually are. We'll never know of course, but I think if McPake and Oliver had started that game we'd have won it. 

I think Jacobs and McIver were the most important subs we made.

• Upvote 2

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

It's weird not feeling angry at losing that on pens. It was really a draw even though they 'technically' won. 

19 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

He has the first touch of an elephant

If he thought that they were better than what they are then why did he play our poorer players against them rather than our better ones? Your 'respect' based complaint about that line up would apply if we ended up drawing with Brora or some other tinpot outfit again: not against the top seed in the group.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Just now, TRVMP said:

Jacobs has surely, surely merited a start ahead of Blues for games like this.* And Colville and Lyon still aren't getting a look-in.

Hide contents

*football games

Colville not getting a game ahead of some other players who seem to start whenever available is as confusing a choice as any Hopkin makes.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Mcadams

Strapp    fjortoft. McLean.  Ledger

Lyon Jacobs Colville 

Mcpake mciver nesbitt

Do it Hopkin. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Mcadams

Lyon Jacobs Colville 

Mcpake mciver nesbitt

Do it Hopkin. 

I like Lewis Strapp but I don't see him as a right back.

4 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Mcadams

Lyon Jacobs Colville 

Mcpake mciver nesbitt

Do it Hopkin. 

Assuming you've mixed Strapp and Ledger up, the weakness I see with that shape/system is our left hand side. McLean has improved this season, but I think that has been down to getting more protection in the back five rather than in a back four. In that system you'd expect the full backs to provide most of the attacking width in our build up play at least, meaning Strapp has to commit further forward. It runs the risk of exposing McLean quite badly. It's a shape that could definitely be of use to this squad though.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

16 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Assuming you've mixed Strapp and Ledger up, the weakness I see with that shape/system is our left hand side. McLean has improved this season, but I think that has been down to getting more protection in the back five rather than in a back four. In that system you'd expect the full backs to provide most of the attacking width in our build up play at least, meaning Strapp has to commit further forward. It runs the risk of exposing McLean quite badly. It's a shape that could definitely be of use to this squad though.

Agreed - McLean has been good at the middle of three CBs with more mobile players either side. It frees Strapp up to be more offensive too. I think the main thing going forward is to establish the strongest pairing in the central midfield and the best front three.

3-4-2-1 or 5-4-1 suits the squad quite well

-----------------------------McAdams

-----------Fjortoft -------McLean -------McGinty

Ledger ----------------------------------------------------Strapp

------------------Jacobs ----------Colville/Lyon

--------McPake ---------------------------Nesbitt/Oliver

------------------------------MacIver

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

Agreed - McLean has been good at the middle of three CBs with more mobile players either side. It frees Strapp up to be more offensive too. I think the main thing going forward is to establish the strongest pairing in the central midfield and the best front three.

3-4-2-1 or 5-4-1 suits the squad quite well

-----------------------------McAdams

-----------Fjortoft -------McLean -------McGinty

Ledger ----------------------------------------------------Strapp

------------------Jacobs ----------Colville/Lyon

--------McPake ---------------------------Nesbitt/Oliver

------------------------------MacIver

That looks about right. Still have McGuffie, Salkeld and Wallace as options out wide and Orsi if the battering ram approach is needed up top.

onsP5NR.jpg

Fjortoft is a proper find. Wonder if he's just lacked game time to establish himself anywhere because he's been our best player by miles.

onsP5NR.jpg

I would have Jacobs, Lyon and Colville in our midfield every time. Strapp and Ledger as wingbacks/fullbacks depending on whether you want three centrebacks (Fjortoft plus one/two others, one of whom might be Mcallister).  To me, the best we've played this season (not a terribly high bar tbh) is when we were adopting a high press, but some of our players ran out of steam early so might not be achievable yet.  In essence, Hopkin needs to pick our best players, and last night illustrated perfectly that he didn't in the first half, and even though we were far better than the midden in the second half, we didn't have Lyon or Colville in there, so further room for improvement imho.  Why on earth did Muirhead get recalled?  I don't think he offers much and his free kicks are pretty dreadful - I suspect Colville would be a lot more accurate.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

6 hours ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

Agreed - McLean has been good at the middle of three CBs with more mobile players either side.

Has he though? 

I mean he's looked slightly better than last season, but that isn't really saying much is it?

Fjortoft has done well and I wouldn't mind seeing Jim at CB again, as he did an ok job there last season.

It would also allow us to have Jacobs and either Colville or Lyon in the CM positions.

Based on what I've seen, McLean is a solid Championship performer in a back three, which I wouldn't have anticipated last season. I still wouldn't want him in a back four due to a lack of mobility. But right now, given our resources, I'm not going to say he's a liability.

• Upvote 1

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

Jim's okayish filling in at centre half but we're never gonna manage with him as a regular starter there. 

I actually think McGinty has been decent for us.