Match Thread - Dundee vs Morton Championship 24th October - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Thread - Dundee vs Morton Championship 24th October

Admin

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be pointed out too that Hopkin should be keeping an eye on discipline, which hasn’t really been a problem in recent times.

As far as I can recall, Jacobs’ red card against Dundee last season was our first (for a player) in God knows how long, yet we’ve started this season with two red cards and not a tackle committed to contribute to them. Not a good example to them to see the manager also taking a booking for dissent to the referee either, something he was sent to the stand for at Hibs last season.

If, as we’re constantly told, there’s a tight ship being run and little room for manoeuvre with the squad then I expect Hopkin to be addressing these issues to give us a far better chance in this league than if we’re to carry on the way we’re going.

7 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Going to assume that this post cut off so abruptly as the phone was aware it was about to be used to make a comment along the lines of 'Muirhead was fine' and decided to explode rather than being party to such a heinous act.

Apologies. Yes, you'd be correct. Hes a scapegoat. Person abuse on twitter. Unjustified 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

9 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Apologies. Yes, you'd be correct. Hes a scapegoat. Person abuse on twitter. Unjustified 

Regardless of what he does or doesn't contribute on the pitch and whether the way he is treated by the supporters is justified or not, that sending off was absolutely indefensible. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

For those who didn’t see Muirhead’s two bookings at the weekend...

I’d also add that Hopkin deflecting attention to the behaviour of the Dundee bench isn’t helpful in the slightest. I’m not asking him to go out and slaughter his players, but he has to make it clear that that sort of behaviour is unacceptable and won’t be tolerated. Citing external influences does neither Hopkin nor Muirhead any favours at all.

46 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

He couldn't wait to be off, could he?

He's the most disappointing signing in quite a while.

Ramsbottom was just last season.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

24 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Not sure many expected much from Ramsbotton from the start to be 'disappointed.'

I’d argue that nobody was expecting too much from Muirhead either in light of his career trajectory and the opinions of the Dunfermline fans from his time there.

He’s living down to my expectations anyway.

Jim MacAlister defending His actions ( Muirhead ) in Today's match report in the Scottish Sun saying Robbie should keep His mouth shut saying the second Yellow card was daft but He's passionate & just wants to win... Nothing like helping the Team & getting sent off..

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I’d argue that nobody was expecting too much from Muirhead either in light of his career trajectory and the opinions of the Dunfermline fans from his time there.

He’s living down to my expectations anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I was also firmly in the 'expected little, getting even less' camp with regards to Muirhead and not sure Trvmp's reasoning for labelling him a disappointment. 

Still think a few more might have hoped for better from him, maybe clinging on to the big sell Hopkin gave about reconverting him back to a number 9, than hoped for Ramsbottom coming from that level.

He isn’t Ramsbottom bad in that I can’t blame him single-handedly for costing us games (maybe Saturday aside) but he’s shown nothing since he got here to suggest he’s good enough, or even at Dunfermline before that. If Strapp is fully fit, he should be nowhere near the team. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Don't get me wrong, I was also firmly in the 'expected little, getting even less' camp with regards to Muirhead and not sure Trvmp's reasoning for labelling him a disappointment. 

Still think a few more might have hoped for better from him, maybe clinging on to the big sell Hopkin gave about reconverting him back to a number 9, than hoped for Ramsbottom coming from that level.

Simply because of the kind of clubs he's played for in the past, which admittedly isn't a great metric.

EOho8Pw.png

I thought when he signed last summer it made sense despite being laughed out of Dunfermline. Taking some gambles on players whose reputations were on the way down but were still young with a point to prove was to be expected with the budget we were working with.

Hopkin and Muirhead both said when the signing was announced that he was being brought in as a centre forward and getting a run of games there could kickstart his career. I get that Hopkin loves versatility in a player, sometimes to the extent ability is secondary to it, but how often did he actually get a game up front? He spent most of the season as third or fourth choice behind McHugh, Orsi and Sutton in the pecking order. Hopkin clearly felt he was a poorer option than all of them in his best position.

He got two assists playing there against Arbroath in January but couldn't keep his place in the team and quickly fell out the side again, only returning when Hopkin decided rejigging the system which was delivering results to cover Colville being out was preferable to allowing Reece Lyon a game. Seeing that he failed as a striker you're left with his performances on the wing, where you can't use any word kinder than terrible to describe his performances. The good moments were one cross away to Dundee which created a goal, and... that's it. Claiming to be versatile is pretty useless if you're not actually any good in any position you cover, and we're hardly short on other wide options.

Based on everything we saw last season giving him a new contract was absolutely bizarre, and he's done nothing to dispel the argument that it was a waste of a wage. On the other hand it's only taken three starts to be a liability, hurt the team and confirm he still has a stinking attitude. A player taking games seriously doesn't behave like that; he thinks he's too good for Morton and acts like it, when in reality he's done nothing to show he's capable of playing at this level.

We know that Hopkin loves to talk up some players in public when he's maybe not saying the same privately, but lashing out at officials and other clubs to excuse Muirhead's behaviour really isn't acceptable and sends a terrible message. He should be telling him he won't be near the team for weeks and threatening to send him to Brechin, not making excuses for his conduct. You don't have to put on a display of going through him provided you've done it behind closed doors, but having a go at someone else when that red card is 100% the fault of Robbie Muirhead lets him off the hook.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived