Match Thread - Morton vs Alloa Championship 17th October - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Thread - Morton vs Alloa Championship 17th October

Admin

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are going to play a high tempo pressing game all season then the players need to be fitter. 

Clinging on to that lead at times and not holding into the ball. Will take the win and a clean sheet but room for improvement 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

8 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

If we are going to play a high tempo pressing game all season then the players need to be fitter. 

Clinging on to that lead at times and not holding into the ball. Will take the win and a clean sheet but room for improvement 

That's the way I saw it. We were comfortable if not outstanding until McPake got sent off, and then we capitulated. That's got to be a worry, as a fitter and stronger team would surely have punished us for that.

6 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

That's the way I saw it. We were comfortable if not outstanding until McPake got sent off, and then we capitulated. That's got to be a worry, as a fitter and stronger team would surely have punished us for that.

If our main cause for concern is fading while already going deservedly in front and the opponent pushing harder for an equaliser then we'll do not too bad overall. The issues before a ball was kicked this season mostly centred on our questionable quality of our defence. Two clean sheets on the bounce - especially with whatever was meant to be our left hand side in today's team - is an encouraging sign. It's good to see Salkeld chipping in with a goal and to hear that McPake has started strongly.

I think that default expectations can be upgraded from 'potential 13/14' disaster to 'brutally efficient 7/8th placed finish' at the moment (though of course we also kicked off 13/14 with a home win over modest opposition).

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The players had months off and came back part time to begin with. We've had two competitive games before today with mostly different players to get everyone game time so I wouldn't be too worried about the apparent lack of fitness at this point. I think the first half was the version of this team that we will see more often than not and the fitness will come with game time and match sharpness. 

Thought for the most part the defence played well and looked solid again and the midfield looked decent in the first half. Not sure we will create enough or take enough chances to give us many comfortable results this season but I have much higher hopes for this squad than the one at the beginning of last season. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

If our main cause for concern is fading while already going deservedly in front and the opponent pushing harder for an equaliser then we'll do not too bad overall. The issues before a ball was kicked this season mostly centred on our questionable quality of our defence. Two clean sheets on the bounce - especially with whatever was meant to be our left hand side in today's team - is an encouraging sign. It's good to see Salkeld chipping in with a goal and to hear that McPake has started strongly.

I think that default expectations can be upgraded from 'potential 13/14' disaster to 'brutally efficient 7/8th placed finish' at the moment (though of course we also kicked off 13/14 with a home win over modest opposition).

I agree, overall it's been a decent start to the season with definite positives, McPake and Fjortoft being two obvious examples. But being under the cosh for the last 15 minutes against a part-time team should be a cause for concern.

Looked really comfortable up until Mcpake went off. McLean should have put the game to bed. They created absolutely nothing for 75 minutes, albeit they did pass the ball about much better than us. Far too many aimless punts from us 

Real shame Mcpake will miss next week, kind of player we need going to places like Dens.

Last 10-15 was a tough watch, we need to be better at seeing the game of out as there was too many nervous moments towards the end but it's a winning start and clean sheet, so happy days.

Stream issues appear to be behind us too.

37 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I agree, overall it's been a decent start to the season with definite positives, McPake and Fjortoft being two obvious examples. But being under the cosh for the last 15 minutes against a part-time team should be a cause for concern.

What difference does their part-time status make? Unless you are the Barcelona 2009 team up against a Brechin 2018-20 select, you are going to come under pressure when defending a 1-0 lead and more so in the closing stages. The only cause for concern is if you chuck in goals under that pressure on a regular basis. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

15 minutes ago, Madton said:

Looked really comfortable up until Mcpake went off. McLean should have put the game to bed. They created absolutely nothing for 75 minutes, albeit they did pass the ball about much better than us. Far too many aimless punts from us 

If they created absolutely nothing while we should have been at least two goals ahead then our passing was quite clearly 'much better' than theirs and the punts not as "aimless' as you claim. 

36 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

What difference does their part-time status make? Unless you are the Barcelona 2009 team up against a Brechin 2018-20 select, you are going to come under pressure when defending a 1-0 lead and more so in the closing stages. The only cause for concern is if you chuck in goals under that pressure on a regular basis. 

We should, theoretically at least, be fitter than them, so we should have been able to see out the game more comfortably than we did, that's my only (mild) criticism, Overall I'm happy with the start to the season, but our inability to kill off inferior opposition, and then hang on for in the last 15 minutes, should be something we acknowledge and address. 

54 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If they created absolutely nothing while we should have been at least two goals ahead then our passing was quite clearly 'much better' than theirs and the punts not as "aimless' as you claim. 

I'm sensing you didn't watch it?

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

The players had months off and came back part time to begin with. We've had two competitive games before today with mostly different players to get everyone game time so I wouldn't be too worried about the apparent lack of fitness at this point. I think the first half was the version of this team that we will see more often than not and the fitness will come with game time and match sharpness. 

Aye, a shorter pre season wouldn't have helped either. 

I thought we had a higher intensity and pressed a lot more than last season (for the first hour anyway) but there needs to be an understanding of when to press and when to just leave them with the ball and conserve energy. Hopefully that game management will come over the next few weeks. 

As someone else said, I think the last week or two has shown that expectations shouldn't be as low as we first feared. 

Archived