Morton vs QOTS Match Thread - League Cup 6th October - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton vs QOTS Match Thread - League Cup 6th October

Admin

Tonight's match thread is brought you in association with Connected Coaching. 

Connected Coaching offer personalised 1-2-1 and group coaching sessions for footballers aged 3-19 across Inverclyde and Renfrewshire. If you know a footballer who is looking to sharpen their skills ahead of the new season, or really get themselves noticed this season, then get in touch! 

E-mail ConnectedCoachingScotland@gmail.com and book your session now! 

Basic Cover Photo.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Anyone dare take a guess at how we'll line up tonight? I have zero clue. The squad suggests 352 but then again, it suggested that for a lot of last season and we didn't see it very often.

Just delighted to get some football back. 

Aye I'd imagine it will be some variation of 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1. The risk with that shape is, unless we resort to shunting McAlister or Muirhead out there, we have absolutely nobody to cover Lewis Strapp at left wing back. The good news is Queen of the South look to be in a worse position than us, so it is a match we should be aiming to win. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Almost needs two predicted line ups. What you want it to be and what you think Hoppy will go for. 

I think a 4-2-3-1 with a midfield of Jacobs and McAlister behind McGuffie, Colville and Nesbitt could be good, but I'm unconvinced by our centre and right back options in that set up. 

Think Hoppy might start with that 3-5-2 that's been mentioned.

Think we have far too many wingers for a 352. Hopkin loves wide men getting balls in the box and it was really successful last season. Must have scored at least 15-20 goals from crosses into the box, can think of loads!

He could go 343..

Safe to say he has loads of options anyway.

Buzzing for it tonight. Hopefully the stream goes well and we are only talking about football after the game!

Despite the lack of wing back options and the successful form we had post January in a settled 4-3-3, I can't see us going with a back four with the squad we have. With a back three Ledger can be another centre back option rather than the only right back and McAlister can be also be used there so we have adequate cover, whereas with a back four we'd be one injury or suspension away from having to mess around with the midfield by slotting Jacobs into the defence, which makes us worse in two different areas.

I can see it being more of a 3-4-3 than a conventional 3-5-2, to fit as many attacking players in as possible:

McAdams

Ledger - Fjortoft - McAlister

Salkeld - Jacobs - Colville - Strapp

Nesbitt - MacIver - McPake

Maybe Hopkin would favour McGinty over McAlister as well but if it is a back three that's the three I'd like to see. Other than Nesbitt being guaranteed to start we have so many options going forward that it's total guesswork figuring out who'll play in attack - could have McGuffie/McPake/Oliver/Orsi/Omar on one wing with Nesbitt on the other, Wallace/Oliver/McPake/Omar as a number 10 alongside or playing off an out and out centre forward in MacIver/Muirhead/Orsi with Nesbitt in a free role behind them. It's going to be a laugh finding a settled team.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

I suspect we'll spend most of the first half arguing over whether it's a back 4, 3, or 5. Hoppy didn't exactly pick standard looking, balanced line-ups last season. 

If we're able to see the match on the stream 😂

Also there should be a link on this page to buy tickets for the stream.

https://www.gmfc.net/sport-event/morton-queen-of-the-south-5/

As well as being the top link on the home page. Easily sorted out for the next game but if the club want to make any money this season it needs to be front and centre.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

No idea what to really expect tonight. Hopefully an okay performance and some sort of inclination of how we’ll be setting up this season. If we do want any chance of progressing from the group it’s obviously must win.

Archived