Ton Tv - Page 48 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ton Tv

Chesh

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Alibi said:

Aye, the streamed commentary will be better than the BBC one, which will contain frequent references to any possible bigot brothers connections in both teams.  A bit like the way any world cup game covered by the BBC mentions 1966 within ten seconds of kick off.

Shocking behaviour.  Imagine the shame of a national broadcaster highlighting areas of interest to their viewers at a football match, where the majority of viewers will have no interest in either side.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

1 hour ago, TAFKAC said:

Shocking behaviour.  Imagine the shame of a national broadcaster highlighting areas of interest to their viewers at a football match, where the majority of viewers will have no interest in either side.

They are covering a championship game.  Give it some respect.  The terrible Twins get blanket coverage in the media already.  Give teams at our level their moment in the sun; it's a rare event.

One of the things I enjoy about our livestream coverage and that of our opponents at away games is that the commentators are generally reasonably well clued up about us, and our own commentators Gerry and Andy also know a bit about the opposition.  Clearly these guys make a point of learning about opponents before the game.  I've also found most of the club commentators to be fairly neutral in their coverage.  It's a refreshing change from the BBC.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

13 hours ago, Alibi said:

They are covering a championship game.  Give it some respect.  The terrible Twins get blanket coverage in the media already.  Give teams at our level their moment in the sun; it's a rare event.

One of the things I enjoy about our livestream coverage and that of our opponents at away games is that the commentators are generally reasonably well clued up about us, and our own commentators Gerry and Andy also know a bit about the opposition.  Clearly these guys make a point of learning about opponents before the game.  I've also found most of the club commentators to be fairly neutral in their coverage.  It's a refreshing change from the BBC.

Interesting angle.  Gerry and Andy's bits are interesting to us but would be of no interest to anyone but the 200 or so people buying the livestreams.  The BBC bias your claiming against Morton is interesting - haven't really noticed that, although I Suppose Vipond and the big glaikit bloke who does Sportscene now are well know St Mirren fans. 

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

1 hour ago, TAFKAC said:

Interesting angle.  Gerry and Andy's bits are interesting to us but would be of no interest to anyone but the 200 or so people buying the livestreams.  The BBC bias your claiming against Morton is interesting - haven't really noticed that, although I Suppose Vipond and the big glaikit bloke who does Sportscene now are well know St Mirren fans. 

I maybe worded that bit badly.  I don't think the BBC are biased against Morton at all - they're just obsessed with the OF clubs and know comparatively little about most championship teams (apart from Hearts).  The commentators from the likes of Ayr, Alloa and Dunfermline seem to know a wee bit about our team, and on the whole they do a decent job of avoiding overt bias (obviously they lose it a bit if their team scores...).  Our level is a bit of a niche market, so commentators who have an interest in our division are bound to have more knowledge of the subject.  So far, most of them have done a pretty decent job for both home and away fans.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

16 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I maybe worded that bit badly.  I don't think the BBC are biased against Morton at all - they're just obsessed with the OF clubs and know comparatively little about most championship teams (apart from Hearts).  The commentators from the likes of Ayr, Alloa and Dunfermline seem to know a wee bit about our team, and on the whole they do a decent job of avoiding overt bias (obviously they lose it a bit if their team scores...).  Our level is a bit of a niche market, so commentators who have an interest in our division are bound to have more knowledge of the subject.  So far, most of them have done a pretty decent job for both home and away fans.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by Andy Ritchie. His comments are insightful and often very funny (the 'drunk man chasing a balloon' comment was a genuine LOL moment), and he praises and criticises both teams equally and fairly. Gerry's also a very good commentator.

The biggest criticism I would have of the Beeb commentators and analysts would be their tendency to create a narrative and then stick to it rather than any OF leanings. See the Queens Park v Queen of the South game for a recent, blatant example.

I'd not expect there to be too much favouratism between Morton and Dunfermline but you'll probably get something about them being a big club, should be in the premiership etc.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

Agree with this, every other clubs stream commentary has been pretty good (exception, for me , was Arbroath) with Raith Rovers being the best.

I'd say Gerry and Andy are second only to Raith, in terms of quality and knowledge of the opposition, but from our point of view there's nobody to top them.

I'll watch the stream tonight for that reason despite the camera work and quality likely to be better on the Beeb.

• 3 weeks later...

It's less that for me and more that it seems a bit disrespectful. I get that it was a weird circumstance that saw him get the job, but they've already said it's his until the end of the campaign. That's essentially an appointment. 

EOho8Pw.png

Archived