Commercial Activity - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

Where did this Not Just Trophies site come from? I understand launching the new website itself without fanfare for a day or so to check it's running smoothly rather than announcing it only to find it crashes immediately, but if there's some new merchandise link that surely be staying quiet until announced.

Some of the stuff on there. I'm particularly enjoying the 'game changer' t-shirt which has the names of Tolmie, Duffy, Ritchie and McInnes on it... except they've put McIness :lol:

Holy fuck there's one with someone who I assume is supposed to be O'Ware on it :lol: who came up with this idea?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Struggling to see the difference in the new site apart from a new theme being applied. 

The way MacKinnon was talking it would be revamped with a better way of providing content but it's the same old external links to YouTube, shopping, tickets, etc. 

1 minute ago, irnbru said:

Struggling to see the difference in the new site apart from a new theme being applied. 

The way MacKinnon was talking it would be revamped with a better way of providing content but it's the same old external links to YouTube, shopping, tickets, etc. 

It looks worse. It’s like something from 2011. I have no idea what the point in it was.

Just now, TheGoon said:

It looks worse. It’s like something from 2011. I have no idea what the point in it was.

Aye, it's just a WordPress theme applied to a site without any review of content or functionality. Presumably they've changed host so it doesn't crash but seems a bit of a pointless change. 

In more positive news we have keepers for the season.... 

Screenshot_20200914-223843_Chrome.jpg

If you're going to launch a new website you'd think you'd have all the updated links etc ready to go with it. Instead they've added a link to this new merchandising site (which is beyond terrible), added Oliver and Omar to the squad page, failed to remove Rogers, Ramsbottom, Baird, Tumilty, Cadden, Doolan, Sutton & McHugh from the same page and reinstated Ewan Boyle, Andy Bryan and Alyson Fielding to their jobs. The 'interviews' section under media is also still linking to one of the older YouTube channels among the half dozen we apparently have now as well.

Is this different theme really all McKinnon has been talking up for months? :lol:

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

First of all, everything on that "notjusttrophies" site looks fucking shite. Apparently they do Hibs as well. Clicked a random t-shirt on the Hibs page, it's a "table football" thing with the cup-winning team of 2016 on it, but it says "SCOTTISH CUP WINNER'S 2016" in a barely-legible font at the top, and the formation is wrong (Dylan McGeouch is in the 'Antoine Griezmann' position.)

I'm all for a wide range of merchandise, I don't even mind if it's off templates shared with other clubs, but as with Interstadia the club has leapt into bed with someone selling some absolute rubbish.

edit: I will admit that the Panini sticker-esque one looks quite good, but there's a couple of controversial players on there that might dampen its appeal. The actual design is sound. The rest range from "meh" to a complete embarrassment. 

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

15 minutes ago, Deego said:

I was quite enthusiastic about the prospect of a new site as I totally agree the site wasn't really fit for purpose - it never was, having hired their first communications employee after a site was designed (taking into account particular features would be pointless without having people to update).

I think it also lacked in some other areas - it maybe needed some work to allow more advertising, some more prominence for match-day info and commercial activities, some enhancements to thrown-together sections like the fixtures page, and most importantly, a solution to stop info like season ticket information getting lost in the archives after a week. In terms of the tech it could've done with a bit of performance optimisation and certainly needed accessibility issues addressed. 

For all the previous site's faults (the 'one person on the site at a time' policy aside), I'd say for the most part it looked professional - it just needed some adjustments to be more of an effective tool for the club.

The new site is indeed a build-your-own-website WordPress theme (https://elementor.com/) that's been dumped on to the old site - it might look a bit different, but it's pretty much the same thing. Maybe there's more to come and I'll get put in my place - which would be great - but I'm a little miffed on first impressions. Would be keen to know exactly what problems the new site is solving as it's been getting bigged up for a while as a bit of a game changer. 

The only problem I think it might solve is that it will deal with more visitors (assuming they've moved it elsewhere).

Other than that, there's no point making something look slightly different and they should have been looking at what they want to achieve from the site and build it from there. 

2 hours ago, irnbru said:

I take it all back. With merchandise like this how can we complain?

Screenshot_20200914-234804_Chrome.jpg

Normally cruelty to animals disgusts me and gets my blood boiling like little else, but for this hellhound I'll make one massive exception.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png